Instant Replay On All Penalties?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Instant Replay On All Penalties??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Instant Replay On All Penalties??

Postby VaderFin » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:40 pm

The upcoming owners meeting will be going over potential rule changes and this will be on the agenda. Sure would have helped the Seahawks in the Super Bowl....if they keep it part of the current challenge system where coaches only have so many times they can challenge it sounds good to me. Thoughts?

The Buccaneers have submitted a proposal that will be considered by league owners meeting in Orlando next week that would expand the scope of instant replay to include all penalties. Falcons president Rich McKay, co-chairman of the league's Competition Committee, said Tampa Bay's unique suggestion has already generated serious discussion.
-- Tampa Tribune

VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Warhawk » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:44 pm

There have been a number of times where you see a call that is egregiously wrong but, according to the rulebook, can't be reviewed. Good idea.
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby gablefan » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:44 pm

It sounds a little ticky tacky to me, but if they still only get 2 (3) a game I guess it's OK. It will just be hard with so few angles. There was one of the three that I liked, but can't think of it now....
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:47 pm

My best friend and I both feel you should be able to challenge ANY call on the field. If it's wrong, it's wrong and should be corrected. All they have to do is keep it the same way as it is now...2 challenges and a 3rd if you get them both right.

The refs can't blow 4 calls for a team in one game...right??? ;-7
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:53 pm

I think the current system really sucks. The whole purpose of instant replay is to get all the calls right. This isn't possible when you can only use instant replay 2-3 times a game. A coach uses up his replay reviews in the 1st quarter and then can't review a blatant miscall in the 2nd quarter. College football does it right. They have the replay officials review all questionable plays without the coaches having to risk losing a timeout. The game doesn't last that much longer and the most important part is they get more of the calls right.

With that said, I don't think penalties should be reviewed. What's next? Review plays where a penalty wasn't called to see if their was a penalty?

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:54 pm

yeah, i think this would be a good idea, as long as it still is only 3 or 3 challenges per game.

Cant have every penalty reviewed, games would take 5 hours. They should just change the rules so that the scope of what is considered reviewable includes penalties that should, or shouldnt have been called.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Warhawk » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:55 pm

Actually, I have a better idea.

Keep the challenge system for the coaches as it is, with the same calls allowed to be replayed.

But allow booth officials to call for a replay of any call or egregious non-call that they see.
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby moonhead » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:16 pm

Warhawk wrote:Actually, I have a better idea.

Keep the challenge system for the coaches as it is, with the same calls allowed to be replayed.

But allow booth officials to call for a replay of any call or egregious non-call that they see.

people would have to bring sleeping bags to the games. every play would be reviewed. there is holding on every play. that would totally disrupt the flow of the game. i think the system that is in place is fair enough...however, a review of penalties would be a nice addition. i don't think you can have the booth reviewing penalties that were not called.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Warhawk » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:23 pm

moonhead wrote:
Warhawk wrote:Actually, I have a better idea.

people would have to bring sleeping bags to the games. every play would be reviewed. there is holding on every play. that would totally disrupt the flow of the game. i think the system that is in place is fair enough...however, a review of penalties would be a nice addition. i don't think you can have the booth reviewing penalties that were not called.

How about you specify the penalties that can be reviewed for a non-call, and stick a requirement on it that it had to affect the play in a significant way? So, you couldn't review for just the normal holding BS (or for holding at all possibly), or for an offsides that didn't result in a sack or stuff, but you could review it for the kind of PI kind of thing that doesn't get called sometimes?

Just throwing out ideas here.
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Warhawk » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:34 pm

Let me just write up that rule as it could be put... can always make is more restrictive. Also note that I think that PI should be changed to a flagrant and non-flagrant type (the first to the spot of the foul and a first down, the second a set number of yards and a first down)

Keep coaches challenges as they are. Basically expand the booth replay power to...

The ability to review a percieved egregious penalty or non-call of a penalty, restricted to those penalties which had/would have had a significant effect on the outcome of the play, and also restricted to the following specific penalties, requiring they pass the aforementioned 'significant effect' rule: flagrant pass interference (both offensive and defensive), offsides, flagrant holding, flagrant facemask. The replay booth also has the power to call for a replay of a play resulting in a turnover.

I also think that in a situation where a turnover is obvious but the ref whistles the play dead by mistake, the play should be reviewable and, if overturned, the team who forced the turnover should get the ball at the spot of the turnover.

And then, I also think that they should enforce the time limit on replays. If you don't see anything in the first 90 seconds, mate, you ain't seeing anything in the next 5 minutes.
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk