Panthers sign Keyshawn Johnson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Panthers sign Keyshawn Johnson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:47 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:
eastcoaster wrote:Oh YEAH. Sure didn't see that coming. I think he's a perfect complement to Smith, and can see Smith's stats keeping up there as well.

Not sure what Dallas was thinking.....if they think Meshawn's ego was too big for their taste, then they really have something to compare it to now.

Dallas' loss, Carolina's gain in my opinion!

Meshawn's problem is that he's not as good as he thinks he is. He's a possession TE in a WR's body. The only YAC that he gets is if the DB's fall down. Dallas didn't lose a thing because they got TO who is WAY better than Meshawn. Carolina gained because they didn't have a good #2 WR last year. That's all Meshawn is and I'll bet anything that he starts complaining that Steve Smith is getting more looks than him. In his little mind he thinks he's a #1 WR. He wasn't even #1 on Dallas last year.

I think Steve Smith's #'s will stay the same. He probably won't get as many looks as he did last year, but he won't be double & triple covered as much either.

I think he will slightly improve his #'s for the exact same reason you stated in bold. I wouldnt be surprised either way though.

We agreed twice in the same month!! ;-7 ;-) :-b

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Steve_L » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:12 am

Yea this is completely unexpected, but great move. I do agree the Smith's numbers will probably stay the same since his looks will go down but the double/triple coverages will be less.
Steve_L
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:39 am

I don't think this hurts Steve Smith's value at all. After all, when has Keyshawn ever been a touchdown hog. If anything, it opens up the field more for Smith. As a Jake Delhomme fan, I love the move. It gets four solid receivers on the field with Smith, Key, Colbert and Carter all spreading things out. That should also help the running game a bit with DeShaun back in the fold.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:47 am

I agree, as a Steve Smith owner I was more afraid that they wouldn't find anyone to play along side him than I was of a signing like this. Without another WR there, teams could just look at what Seattle did to Carolina and take S. Smith out of every game, now teams can't afford to do that. I think this gives S. Smith a boost in value.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby louisianacajunsam » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:03 am

now i hope they can get pope!

go jake!
louisianacajunsam
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:37 am

Anybody from NFL's Finest want Keary Colbert? :~(

I hope they trade him or something. Of course it won't happen in a million years, but I hope they do.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby UNDEFEATED » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:21 am

Great signing by the Panthers. Great signing by Keyshawn putting himself within striking distance for a SB ring.

Delhomme with two respectable producers with hands is a great thing. Deshaun pending a consistent season is another receiver we shouldn't forget.

Delhomme is a solid #1 qb especially in a 12-teamer.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby logan » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:52 am

solid signing by the panthers. the NFC is looking like it may be the conference to watch this year as they have gotten tons better than they were 2 or 3 years ago.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:31 am

I am having a great offseason.

I am in a dynasty league, and have Delhome and Bledsoe as my QBs.

They both just got better this offseason.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:44 am

Panthers came out of nowhere for that! ;-D Nice move...they've needed someone to help out Smith for two years now, and they have it in Keyshawn.

This is huge for Delhomme and Keyshawn both. I would expect both of their numbers to improve and Smith's to stay the same or increase also - especially now with their RB situation in major disarray. There's a good chance they pass more this year in order to win games.

Good WR combos like Harrison/Wayne, Holt/Bruce (years past), and new ones like CJ/Housh are huge for both players and the QB throwing to them. We might have a good one in Carolina now.

Of course, this will probably put Delhomme in a higher draft spot than I'd like to use on him, but I might take a chance on Keyshawn if he doesn't bump up a ton.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk