What's Our Record Next Year? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Green Bay Packers

What's Our Record Next Year?

Moderator: Football Moderators

What's Our Record Next Year?

Postby CC » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:00 pm

Green Bay

At home:

Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, Arizona, St. Louis, New England, N.Y. Jets, New Orleans

Away:

Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, San Francisco, Seattle, Buffalo, Miami, Philadelphia

If Favre comes back: I figure we will split with Minnesota and Detroit, beat Arizona, St. Louis, NYJ, and NO and SF.

That puts us at 7-9.

Without Favre: Win 1 of 4 with Minnesota and Detroit, beat NYJ and SF and maybe NO

4-12 or 5-11
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: What's Our Record Next Year?

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:20 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Green Bay

At home:

Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, Arizona, St. Louis, New England, N.Y. Jets, New Orleans

Away:

Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, San Francisco, Seattle, Buffalo, Miami, Philadelphia

If Favre comes back: I figure we will split with Minnesota and Detroit, beat Arizona, St. Louis, NYJ, and NO and SF.

That puts us at 7-9.

Without Favre: Win 1 of 4 with Minnesota and Detroit, beat NYJ and SF and maybe NO

4-12 or 5-11

7-9 sounds like an accurate estimate, but i see losses to arizona and st. louis and wins against chicago and buffalo. even without favre, i think you guys have enough talent on offense to go 7-9. rodgers, i believe, would do well if favre retired.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby JStein » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:12 pm

Without just looking at the opponents, I can see 8-8 with Favre and something like 7-9 without him.
JStein
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby PackerAttack84 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:14 pm

At home:

Away:

That puts us at 7-9.

4-12 or 5-11

With Favre: We split Detroit and Minnesota, beat the Jets, Rams and Saints at home. Beat San Francisco and Buffalo on the road. Maybe a extra lose or a extra win, I'll go with 7-9 like CC.

Without Favre: 3-13, maybe a repeat of 4-12. We could probably beat the Jets, 49ers and Detroit.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Popcynical » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:39 pm

I'm gonna say 9-7 and be optimistic.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:16 pm

First of all i dont think Favre is coming back. There is no offensive line left in Green Bay, although the defense is beginning to shape up nicely.

I see the Packers having a 6-10 record. they beat SF, NO, Buffalo and NYJ for sure. you would think that we could get 2 more victories in there somewhere...
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby skibrett15 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:51 pm

At home:

Away:

That puts us at 7-9.

4-12 or 5-11

The games in bold I really think we have the best chance at winning. I also think we'll beat minnesota at least once, but who knows whether it will be home or away. Favre is coming back apparently. I think we have a shot at 8-8 if we can beat miami, or philly or buffalo.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby TDFFL » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:58 pm

UGH!

I remember suffering through the 80s and I see it happening all over again!

We'll be a 5 win team next year with or without Brett Favre. Personally, I hope he retires if only to save himself the pain of another terrible season as GB rebuilds. I just hope it doesn't take another two decades like last time.

Why the pessimistic outlook?

OL has been crippled over the last few years, including this year, and the new guys may be good or better than those who left, but until I see it I'm going to remain skeptical. They have lost Ruegamer to the NY Jets this year, he was versatile in that he could play Guard, Tackle, or Center and was a great plug-in option. They also lost Center Mike Flanagan to the Texans. Last year they lost Riviera to the Cowboys and Wahle to the Panthers. I still think Wahle should have been the priority to keep over Riviera, but that's another issue. If they draft D'Brick in the draft (I am aware that it is a very, very remote shot as he will most likely not fall to us) or manage to get some decent OL help in the draft then I think our team can improve quickly. An offense truly revolves around how good the OL plays. Just look at the Texans for the proof on that.

RB is an interesting situation. You had Gado who showed some decent talent when called upon and if it hadn't been for that injury I'd say he'd have a decent shot at starting in 06. Now it's up in the air with A. Green in for one year, Najeh Davenport, and Samkon Gado all coming off injuries and looking to compete for the starting spot. I realize all the mock's are giving GB a defensive player whether it's Huff, Hawk, or Williams. While I really think the DEF needs more improvement, I wouldn't put it past Ted Thompson to draft a RB in that spot. He is a devout follower of the 'draft the best player available' theory and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he took a QB with the first pick. I personally think it would be a dumb move, but it would not surprise me. Realistically, I think Ted Thompson snags a RB with the 2nd or 3rd round picks if a decent one should happen to fall like Addai or something along those lines. If that should happen, you have three RBs coming off injury and one rookie fighting for the starting spot. Who wins in training camp is anybodys guess.

WR - Javon Walker is playing the role of TO for this summers soap opera. He has been quoted that he will never play for Green Bay again and it has absolutely nothing to do with Favre. OK, so if he goes away to another team we don't have a cancer in the locker room, if he stays we have a cancer in the locker room and media. Just what we need! Driver is the only solid WR on the team. Ferguson can't stay healthy, Murphy has that bruised spinal cord injury that he suffered in Oct of last year so I won't be counting on him with an injury of that caliber. We've added Rod Gardner and he's not exactly the best WR I've ever seen, but he's a serviceable player for the time period if only for depth purposes. So I'm not liking the way the WRs are forming up for 2006, regardless of who's behind Center.

Defense improved last year, but it wasn't hard to top their 2004 performance. I really think they were on the right track with Bates as Def Coordinator and I was very, very disappointed when he left. Of course the defense will have a new system I suppose, again. I'm not as 'up to date' on the defense as I have yet to watch a mini-camp or anything where the coaches are working with the players, so the jury is still out there.

QB - Favre, Rodgers, or rookie? If a QB is taken in the draft we'll have two QBs with a combined 0 starts in the NFL. I think Rodgers has a shot in this league once he is given the opportunity. But when will that opportunity come? This year or next? I really think Favre should hang it up so he doesn't get beaten around like he was last year. I've also noticed that his mental toughness is slipping. Remember that wierd play two seasons ago near the end of the 2004 season. (I really can't remember the exact date or opponent, but you might recognize the play at the end of the game, I think it was a Monday Night game or maybe the playoff loss?) We are at the 4 or 6 yard line, Favre takes the ball, scrambles to his right trying to buy time, he has a good shot at making a TD with his legs as it's mostly clear between him and the goal-line but instead he hangs back and flips the ball without really looking as he runs out of bounds for a loss. There was something about that play that really struck something in me. It boiled down to Favre looking tired. I'm not saying physically, I'm sure he was worn down from the game but was still physically up to the challenge of playing, but I think his mental toughness has weakened a bit and he's not playing as sharply as he used too. In the end, I think all those years of playing has worn down on him and it's starting to show. Given that this will be an interesting season to say the least, I think we should just let Favre retire and we can start developing Rodgers in live NFL action so within a year or so his learning progression will correlate with the Packers drafting (hopefully) impact players and they again rise up to a winning team.

Ted Thompson - It's obvious he's remaking this team into his own image. His coach, his players, his drafting, his plan. His wholesale fire sale of just about the entire roster and coaching staff has set us back considerably in the short term. Long term this may turn out to be the best thing we ever did, but I still don't like it. Sherman was an excellent coach who PRODUCED! One bad season where extraordinary injuries to so many players including every single starting RB on the roster and then the RBs who were added mid-season got hurt. You can't tell me that Sherman deserves the blame for their 2005 record. Yet, he gets the Ax and someone else gets a solid coach. Ted Thompson was not my favorite person coming in to GB and I didn't like the 'fit' when he was introduced. Sure enough, he didn't fit, but he just changed everything around him. He was the square peg in the round hole, he just managed to change the board from a round hole to a square one and got around that little obstacle.

In the end, we'll see what happens in 2006. Maybe they surprise me, and I hope and pray they do surprise me and win more than 5 games. But I'm setting my sights on a 5 win season this year and I certainly hope that Favre decides to retire so my final memories of Favre being chased around the field aren't reinforced with one more year of the same.

OK, I'll put away my soapbox now. :)
Grace is the smell of rain.
TDFFL
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby CC » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:11 am

Great post man, I agree with you on a lot of things. ;-D
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DarkKnight » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:25 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Great post man, I agree with you on a lot of things. ;-D

I agree.. great post and ggod read

I just don't have much faith at this point. The Packers better get a good one in the draft and Thompson better be the draft guru he claims to be. Otherwsie it could be awhile :,-(
DarkKnight
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Green Bay Packers