What's Our Record Next Year? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Green Bay Packers

What's Our Record Next Year?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Coltonvik » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:49 pm

Wow, i am very suprised with the confidence in our team the pack are still a force to be reckoned with and i predict them at least 8-8 or better, if yall were true fans you would at least have a little fun with this!
Coltonvik Beginner
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TDFFL » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:16 pm

I disagree.

I am a solid fan, been a fan since childhood in the late 70s to the present. I just am trying to look at this realistically.

We have a QB who won't commit one way or another, every other QB on the roster has ZERO experience. So if it's Favre, will his heart truly be in it? If it's Rodgers, how much can we expect from a rookie QB?

RB is an issue. Yes, we have the experience with Green & Davenport and last years phenom in Samkon Gado. All three are coming off injuries. Green has experience, but he has a depleted Offensive Line, it's not the solid line we had three years ago.

WR is another issue. We have one solid, committed player in Driver. We have Javon Walker, a real stud IMO, but he doesn't want to play for GB again. So what happens? We either lose him via trade or he shows up and sinks the team down with his negative attitude since he clearly doesn't want to be there.

Plus we have a brand new coaching staff so there will be a learning curve on offense. Defense may not be such a bad transition since the new DC is supposed to be implementing the same defensive system as last year.

With all the negatives I am being realistically optimistic. I think 5 games is a number that we can hit. I'll be happy to hit an 8-8 mark, but I just don't see it happening unless a lot of positives happen over the next few months.

Let's see, trade Favre for draft picks. Trade Walker for draft picks. Load up on talent in the draft and let Rodgers start his learning curve this season. It's a hard thing to swallow, but I think it's in the best interests of the team overall to do that.

Favre wants to play, that's clear; but he also wants to leave on top after winning a Super Bowl. Favre was quoted several times in the late 90s that he truly admired how Elway retired, on top of his game as a winner. I really think that Favre wants to win one more Super Bowl and retire. I think that is his driving force right now and the Packers are not in a position to help him in that goal. So let's leave him the option of seeking a trade with another team and see what develops.

Walker has point blank said he doesn't want to play in GB, yet he has one year left that he HAS to play in order to be eligible for free agency. ( I believe that's restricted FA next year). So trade him now for draft picks/players and see what you can get. You remove the downward spiral of a potential TO situation and you gain players/picks to help you in your rebuilding of the team.

I would not be surprised if a trade happened during the draft that included Walker. I also would not be surprised if Favre ended up on another team, but I would be surprised if any trades involving Favre happened during the draft.

Ok, enough rambling. I just realistically see a 5 win season max regardless of which player is at QB. The team has regressed and only time will provide the experience necessary for our soon to be very young team to become competitive again.

Later,
Grace is the smell of rain.
TDFFL
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby CC » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:28 pm

Coltonvik wrote:Wow, i am very suprised with the confidence in our team the pack are still a force to be reckoned with and i predict them at least 8-8 or better, if yall were true fans you would at least have a little fun with this!

I agree with TDFFL, being delusional about the Packers record doesn't make you a true fan.

As of right now, the Packers are not a good football team, although anything can happen in the NFL and we could have a playoff team this year, it is unlikely and saying that we are a force to be reckoned with just isn't true.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DarkKnight » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:20 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
I agree with TDFFL, being delusional about the Packers record doesn't make you a true fan.

As of right now, the Packers are not a good football team, although anything can happen in the NFL and we could have a playoff team this year, it is unlikely and saying that we are a force to be reckoned with just isn't true.

ditto.. and it hurts to agree

is there even a strength to the team? maybe at Tackle?? but the line as a whole sucks. I honestly can't think of one position I feel confident about.

Maybe that'll change with AJ Hawk and Barnett
DarkKnight
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby CC » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:22 pm

DarkKnight wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:

ditto.. and it hurts to agree

is there even a strength to the team? maybe at Tackle?? but the line as a whole sucks. I honestly can't think of one position I feel confident about.

Maybe that'll change with AJ Hawk and Barnett

I would say we are solid at tackle, currently with Walker we have good WRs, QB is pretty good with Favre and Rodgers.

Apart from that we have nothing but holes.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DarkKnight » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:29 pm

Walker won't play as a Packer again.. maybe the last 6 games. WR will need some serious help IMHO.

I don't know about Favre.. I really don't think he wants to play for a loser again. I think he really does want play and wants to be traded but doesn't want to admit it. Rodgers is a big unknown but I havn't heard anything possiable about him yet. In years past.. Brooks, Hasselbeck, and even Detmer had better reviews after one year. I just don't get a good vibe from him.
DarkKnight
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby CC » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:43 pm

DarkKnight wrote:Walker won't play as a Packer again.. maybe the last 6 games. WR will need some serious help IMHO.

I don't know about Favre.. I really don't think he wants to play for a loser again. I think he really does want play and wants to be traded but doesn't want to admit it. Rodgers is a big unknown but I havn't heard anything possiable about him yet. In years past.. Brooks, Hasselbeck, and even Detmer had better reviews after one year. I just don't get a good vibe from him.

I agree on Walker and I haven't heard a lot of good things about Rodgers either, but I liked him a lot when he was at Cal and I can't give up on him just yet.
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JStein » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:05 pm

Talk about Holmgren's understudies becomes HCs (formerly Sherman, Gruden, Jauron, McCarthy, Reid), look at all the Favre understudies becoming starting QBs (Hasselbeck, Brooks, Brunell). Interesting to see how the Packers are the base of all the competition we're enjoying right now.

As a personal opinion, I would say the Packers will have a better year than they had this year. This past year had a lot of unfortunate events one after another, and while I still like Mike Sherman as a HC more than Mike McCarthy, they still have something to rally behind.
JStein
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Fri May 19, 2006 10:40 am

well, alot has happened since this post was last updated.

With the addition of Hawke and Hodge in the draft, plus woodson at corner, the defense is much improved. It will be good to see carol out of there, he is a flag machine.

I know they lost walker, but I think that gardner could be a sleeper this year, and driver is solid. with the WR helf from the draft, they have a decent passing game, with favre in there.

The key to this season is going to be a healthy backfield.
If Green can play 16 games, and davenport can stay healthy at the #2, I think the pack could go 9-7, maybe even 10-6.

If they get hit with injuries to the RBs again, expect another 4-12 season.

The defense should be able to keep them in games this year, so if the offense can produce, they should be solid. Looking at their schedule, i think that if they can put up 17 points a game, they should have 9 or 10 wins, since I think there improved defense can hold most of the teams to under 17 points each week, with a few exceptions.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

get it right

Postby zilla_kevin » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:37 pm

Packer's r winning the division this year i dont care if it only takes 6 win's to do so were going to the playoffs
zilla_kevin
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Green Bay Packers