The Ghosts of Websites Past - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

The Ghosts of Websites Past

Moderator: Football Moderators

The Ghosts of Websites Past

Postby knapplc » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:47 pm

Ever miss an old website that's no longer in existence? I was digging through some old files in the nether regions of my computer and found this:

These are my old WHQuestion logos - the little picture is supposed to be where the X is on the bio.

WHQuestion was a simple website where people asked questions and others answered them. The asker rated the answers with a Smiley face, a Neutral face or a Frowny face, building your Rating over time.

Sadly, WHQuestion ceased to be in 2001, and there hasn't been a site like it since.

So I was just wondering - what sites do you miss from the days of the Internet's Youth?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:15 pm

Just thought of another one - The Spark!

Remember The Spark, creators of Sparknotes, second only to Cliff's Notes for college cramming for the lazy; groovy tests (the forefathers of the online tests you see today) like The Death Test, The Purity Test, The Wench Test and The Unintelligence Test; and the now-infamous Date My Sister Project?

The whole site was run by a guy named Christian Rudder, and he wrote all these goofy tests and came up with the Date My Sister Project where he took pictures of actual dates his sister went on and put them online for the world to see. He did The Stinky Meat Project where he hid pieces of beef and fish in his neighbor's yard and took picures of him finding them, and he narrated all this stuff with a really witty, anarchistic attitude like The Onion.

Speaking of The Onion, The Spark had news stories written just like The Onion's, and although The Spark and The Onion were contemporaries, I don't think either would accuse the other of stealing their gig.

Christian left The Spark when it was bought by Barnes and Noble (yes, that's why you find Sparknotes in B&N), and now is an actor and musician in his own band, Bishop Allen.

Did anyone else ever go to The Spark and take any of their tests?

B&N still has some of them up here, but you have to register to take them now. Losers.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Tiki » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:24 pm

Studio Seraph count? Wish that was still around!
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:37 am

Tiki wrote:Studio Seraph count? Wish that was still around!

Yeah, it was kind of cool for a little while, but our webhost was pretty annoying and basically killed the site. :-/

I have a Spark.com T-shirt! ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby WickedSmaat » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:04 am

I used to cruise the Gran Turismo forums back before it went down. Was one of the few that signed up in 2000 to stick around until the end. They changed over to another site but I went away from that.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Re: The Ghosts of Websites Past

Postby Atog » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:38 pm

knapplc wrote:Ever miss an old website that's no longer in existence? I was digging through some old files in the nether regions of my computer and found this:

These are my old WHQuestion logos - the little picture is supposed to be where the X is on the bio.

WHQuestion was a simple website where people asked questions and others answered them. The asker rated the answers with a Smiley face, a Neutral face or a Frowny face, building your Rating over time.

Sadly, WHQuestion ceased to be in 2001, and there hasn't been a site like it since.

So I was just wondering - what sites do you miss from the days of the Internet's Youth?

Yahoo Answers is extremely close to what you've described there ;-D
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Return to General Talk