The Day Love Died... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

The Day Love Died...

Moderator: Football Moderators

The Day Love Died...

Postby The Balanced Man » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:28 pm

Looks like old crazy is on her way out...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2390936

Updated: March 30, 2006, 9:50 PM ET
Provocative Anna Benson seeks divorce from KrisAssociated Press

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Anna Benson wants a divorce from Baltimore Orioles pitcher Kris Benson, who still thinks the New York Mets traded him because of his impulsive wife.

Anna Benson, an actress and model who has posed topless, filed for divorce in Atlanta on Thursday. The petition for divorce claims the marriage is "irretrievably broken."

Anna and Kris Benson have yet to comment on the divorce petition.

Kris Benson initially protested the deal that sent him to the Orioles. But now he thinks the Mets did him a favor.

"I was a little upset because I enjoyed my time in New York and I feel like they had a good team coming into the season," Benson said in a recent interview. "But now that I realize the opportunity I have, it's going to be a good career move for me."

Now, it appears as if he will go at it alone.

In 2005, his first full season with the Mets, Benson allowed three runs or fewer in 19 starts. He was 10-8 with a 4.31 ERA, but New York won 17 of the 28 games in which he pitched.

Despite those numbers, the right-hander was traded to the Orioles in January for pitchers Jorge Julio and John Maine. There was speculation that the deal was perpetuated by the behavior of Anna, who has her own web site and publicly discussed intimate details of their sex life.

Mets general manager Omar Minaya contended that Anna Benson was not a factor in the trade. Kris Benson isn't buying it.

"New York is just a world of its own. I knew that coming in, but you learn that a little more when you get put in the spotlight like that in a negative and undeserving way," Kris Benson said. "It was a little frustrating at the time because people kind of believe what they read. For her it's been a little tough, because they kind of portray her in a negative light."

Anna Benson wore a provocative dress at the team Christmas party, and there was talk that she was considering posing nude for Playboy. Kris Benson bristles at the memory.

"We learned a lot from the whole situation. You look at some of the things that were said, some of the lies that were passed, who believes what, who your friends are, who your friends aren't," he said.

He said Anna never had a serious conversation with representatives from Playboy, and that her attire at the party was "not as revealing as people say it is. The only thing they fed off is when she kind of bent over and someone took a picture of it. It's an exaggeration of the truth, and now the Mets are going to miss out on a quality starter and the Orioles are going to benefit."

Benson still finds the reasoning behind the trade to be perplexing, but he knows for certain that the Mets will ultimately regret dealing him away.

"Some people are already seeing the trade as a negative thing. There are a lot of things that don't add up when it comes to the reasoning behind it," he said. "There's a lot of hearsay, a lot of rumors floating around about the reason why. Lately, a lot of people are suspecting foul play in terms of one thing being said and the truth being different."

Benson is now focused on providing veteran leadership to a young starting rotation and using the advice of esteemed pitching coach Leo Mazzone to take his game to a higher level.

"It's over with. The media in New York kind of took it too far," Benson said.

If Benson can adjust to pitching in the American League, the Orioles should be a better team in 2006.

"We got Kris Benson for a reason: to solidify the starting rotation," manager Sam Perlozzo said. "He doesn't have to be the best in the world, but he has to hold up his end of the bargain, and we feel he will."

The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mutantseabass » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:30 pm

THought this was about the day i got married. Really thought it when you referred to her as old crazy. :-b

Why do celebrities get marrried? Its a waste of time and money.

To you younger guys the same thing applies to any of you too! ;-D

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:35 pm

I thought Courtney Love finally OD'd.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:41 pm

VaderFin wrote:I thought Courtney Love finally OD'd.

Yeah like the world could get that lucky!

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby logan » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:06 pm

mutantseabass wrote:

Yeah like the world could get that lucky!

was my first impression after seeing the thread title.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby knapplc » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:26 pm

mutantseabass wrote:THought this was about the day i got married. Really thought it when you referred to her as old crazy. :-b

Why do celebrities get marrried? Its a waste of time and money.

To you younger guys the same thing applies to any of you too! ;-D

It has to be either a status symbol or a funky way to keep themselves in the public eye. That's all I can come up with.

Take Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt. Arguably two of the most recognized names in acting today. Both married to beatiful, famous women. Both inexplicably (and very unceremoniously) dump them for the latest "in" girl.

Jennifer Aniston is no longer in the limelight - so Pitt dumps her and goes with Angelina Jolie, the current hottest thing. Nicole Kidman is past 40 and Cruise needs to maintain his image with the younger crowd, so he dumps her for Katie Holmes.

Hollywood marriages are not based on love. Both Cruise and Pitt made their decisions to marry and divorce Kidman and Anniston based on image, not on love.

They're just PR moves.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:28 pm

Read my mind.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby houstonherdfan » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:18 pm

you know they have discovered a birth control that is 100% effective.

What is it?

Wedding cake.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby knapplc » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:05 am

houstonherdfan wrote:you know they have discovered a birth control that is 100% effective.

Nah. Marriage is awesome. I've been married 14 years and it's great. Funny thing, though - my wife and I never argued until we had our daughter. Now we'll have a flare-up every 3-4 months.

But the making up part is worth it. ;-) :-D ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby footballchick23 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:57 am

Anyone see that show on VH1 about celeb pre-nups....'nuff said! Celebs should never get married! Although it's a stretch to call "The Bensons" celebs!
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to General Talk