The Stanley Cup: A History of Abuse and Neglect - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

The Stanley Cup: A History of Abuse and Neglect

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:28 pm

danleroi22 wrote:I'm sorry... but IMO:

Hockey = :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t

The sport really went downhill and lost all my respect when the salary cap issues shut it down for a year.

I think the worst part about the strike was losing the TV deal with ESPN. Not many people watched hockey before the strike. Now a lot of people can't even watch it if they want to. I'd still watch but the area I'm in only has 1 channel that plays hockey games and they are still few and far between. That 1 channel only plays Lightning games, but not every 1.

Hockey doesn't translate well onto TV. It's hard to see the puck and they never show the entire ice. I love hockey because growing up in NY we used to play it all the time in the streets and then on lakes in the winter. Being at the game blows away watching it on TV.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby skibrett15 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:13 pm

I've touched the stanley cup also. It was pretty sweet. I was only 7 or 8 years old, but I still remember that one of the coaches tried to substitute his son's name for one of the players, and there was an X through each letter of the son's name. I still find that funny.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Re: The Stanley Cup: A History of Abuse and Neglect

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:26 pm

It's weird. For some reason, this thread was at the bottom of the last topic I was on as "similar topic". :-?

Reminded me of this picture that I posted on the Hockey Cafe. I think dream was the only one who even responded over there! :-D

Sally Broten, wife of Neal Broten, is a competitor in the same horse event that my Mom writes about. She's really good too. I've met them both before and they're just great, down to earth people. I loved talking Olympics & NHL with Neal. Sally sent this picture to my Mom & it fits this thread.

Then last semester (my sister teaches classes in English over in Madrid, Spain) there was a kid that my sister tried to bribe. My sister has a Master's in Athletic Training from LIU in Brooklyn. The guy she learned under is the trainer for the NY Knicks. She asked the kid besides soccer, what's his favorite sport? Basketball is pretty big in Spain so she figured she could get her friend to hook her up with some Knick autographs for the kid. The kid said that hockey is his 2nd favorite sport! Then my sister remembered that our Mom knows the Brotens and he happily autographed this picture for the kid.

;-D

PS: The similar thread was "Top Characters in the History of the NFL". :-S :-b

flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:13 pm

3 (I think) hockey threads on the front page of FFC GT?

I win. B-)
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:16 pm

aaawall91 wrote:3 (I think) hockey threads on the front page of FFC GT?

I win. B-)

I just locked the other 2 (I think). ;-7 :-b ;-)

flotsamnjetsam

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:34 pm

Canadiens 6
Maple Leafs 2

;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D

GO HABS GO!!!!!

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:36 am

i think it was Kris Drapers kid pooped in it last year
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:22 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i think it was Kris Drapers kid pooped in it last year

That's what dream posted in the lone response to my post on the hockey cafe. :-b

flotsamnjetsam

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:38 pm

You guys know of course that the Stanley Cup is a cherised Canadian relic that is permanently on display in the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto right? The one that travels all around is a facsimile.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby dream_017 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:42 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:You guys know of course that the Stanley Cup is a cherised Canadian relic that is permanently on display in the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto right? The one that travels all around is a facsimile.

I knew that :^

And yes, it was Draper's kid that took a dump :-{

* Mook - I'll understand if you want to go 1 more week in the hockey pick 3 :-B
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk