Torrents? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Torrents?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Torrents?

Postby mutantseabass » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:23 pm

Could someone please explain to me what a torrent is.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moonhead » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:28 pm

it is a large file that many people have. they are called seeds. people seed this file to you (leecher). it is sent to you in tiny bits. hence the name bit torrent. once you get a significant portion of the file you begin seeding it as well as leeching it. i'm probably not doing the technology justice with this explanation...but i think that will get you the gist of it. i've gotten quite a few bands full discogrophies using torrents. i love them. ;-D
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby The Balanced Man » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:28 pm

BitTorrent is both the name of a peer-to-peer (P2P) file distribution client application and also the name of the file sharing protocol itself, both of which were created by programmer Bram Cohen. BitTorrent is designed to widely distribute large amounts of data without incurring the corresponding consumption in costly server and bandwidth resources. According to CacheLogic BitTorrent is responsible for 35% of all traffic on the internet.[1]

The original BitTorrent application was written in Python and its source code has been released under the BitTorrent Open Source License (a modified version of the Jabber Open Source License), as of version 4.0. There are numerous compatible clients, written in a variety of languages and running on a variety of computing platforms.

I think it is when you go onto a site, and they sense what MP3s everyone on the site has. Then, you can use the site to download anyones MP3s.

It's kinda like you get it from the other person. But its kinda like you are stealing music too.

Or I could just be dead wrong.
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby danleroi22 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:28 pm

1. A turbulent, swift-flowing stream.

2. A heavy downpour; a deluge.

3. A heavy, uncontrolled outpouring: a torrent of insults; torrents of mail.
Questions or Comments? Feel free to PM me.

I know that I've been given more than beyond measure.
danleroi22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby mutantseabass » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:31 pm

moonhead wrote:it is a large file that many people have. they are called seeds. people seed this file to you (leecher). it is sent to you in tiny bits. hence the name bit torrent. once you get a significant portion of the file you begin seeding it as well as leeching it. i'm probably not doing the technology justice with this explanation...but i think that will get you the gist of it. i've gotten quite a few bands full discogrophies using torrents. i love them. ;-D

So you can download full Cds from other people?

mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Balanced Man » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:33 pm

BitTorrent greatly reduces the load on seeders, because clients generally download the file from each other. In this animation, the coloured bars beneath all of the clients represent individual pieces of the file. After the initial pieces transfer from the seed, the pieces are individually transferred from client to client. This demonstrates how the original seeder only needs to send out one copy of the file for all the clients to receive a copy.
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:34 pm

Man i really wish i wasnt so ignorant to computers so i could fully use this thing to its potential.

mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby moonhead » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:35 pm

mutantseabass wrote:
moonhead wrote:it is a large file that many people have. they are called seeds. people seed this file to you (leecher). it is sent to you in tiny bits. hence the name bit torrent. once you get a significant portion of the file you begin seeding it as well as leeching it. i'm probably not doing the technology justice with this explanation...but i think that will get you the gist of it. i've gotten quite a few bands full discogrophies using torrents. i love them. ;-D

So you can download full Cds from other people?

absolutely. that's the main deal. movies and albums. plus there is tons of software that is seeded too. i downloaded 50 rush albums that was presented as a single file. it was 6 gigs or so, and 90% bootleg live shows...so that part wasn't illegal. those are legal to share. but there were some studio albums so that was stealing. i also downloaded the entire discogrophy of the who and dream theater. also i downloaded about 18 cds of rare pink floyd out takes and radio promos. all presented to me as one large file. then once you complete the "file" it turns into many folders of mp3s. really great stuff. much better than limewire or napster. but those programs are excellent if you're just looking for one song.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby logan » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:38 pm

i've always found them to be extremely slow myself. course i could be spoiled since i get stuff at about a 200 to 400 kb/second dl from my sources. but trying to get Lost episodes in the past was excruciating.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby dream_017 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:39 pm

My favorite is always Wiki
BitTorrent It looks like Balanced got his info from there also ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Next

Return to General Talk