these espn announcers are such homers! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

these espn announcers are such homers!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Be quiet

Postby frosty » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:53 am

M_Zimm wrote:I agree, just be quiet and let us watch the game. The only guy worse than those 3 is John Madden, he just sits there and tells us what an offsides penalty is...

Plus, Madden has a sweaty-ass fetish. Am I the only one who's noticed this?

A few years back one of the networks showed a game without commentating as an experiment. It was a failure.
frosty
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ben_ffc » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:27 pm

you know, madden really is terrible, but he's so bad that it's funny. whoever those jerkoffs were last night (what did you say? mcguire and theisman?) weren't even funny. just annoying.

it was like sitting next to grandmother (a huge dolphins fan) and listening to hear scream in my ear all night, except i love my grandmother--even though she's lost her mind. how do those guys hold down a job when they're rooting so hard for one team? for a while they were blowing winfield (buffalo's cb), but it was a token gesture.

hey boys--don't blow anybody. just call the game. give me an updated injury report, give me some insight into their training regimen, give me a stat comp, even some heartwarming story about a coach's or player's triumph over struggle. all of that is either welcome or tolerable.

rooting for one team on a national broadcast is amateur. i'll take your jobs, thank you.

b
yeah...yes
Ben_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby sikoskul » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:41 pm

You know, I used to hate Mcguire and Theisman, but after awhile, you just learn to ignore. I was pretty ambivalent about Madden too, until last year, when he started going off on the "A-hole", THAT was hillarious. So I usually end up listening closely to him to see if he'll go off on another gaff like that.

The only person that I really liked to hear and see, was Melissa Stark. Dayam, she was nice.
sikoskul
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:42 pm

Did anyone get the jags/colts game this weekend? Think the sunday night game multiplied by about 50. They talked about Fred Taylor like he was the greatest running back of all time.

"Only the true great ones can make moves like that."

"You can't do that unless your one of the greatest running backs of all time."

"Ladies and gentlemen, just sit back and watch this future hall of famer do his work."

I was wondering if they were talking about the same fred taylor that I've heard of...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Lushcrush » Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:04 pm

frosty wrote:
lushcrush wrote:Only announcer worse than Theisman is Lee Corso ...

Funny...I like both of them. Yes, both are over-the-top and overly opinionated. But they're both amusing.

The worst announcers in football are John Madden, and that Madden-wannabe (who's name isn't even worth looking-up) who does the B-list games for Fox.

Frosty, you need help :)
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby fntsyrookie » Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:04 pm

Theisman and McGuire are by far and away the worst two idiots to listen to call a game on the planet. Every week no matter what two teams are playing they will find some player who is "one of the greatest ever" and they will continue to blow smoke up that player's arse all game. It makes me want to puke.

I used to hate listening to Madden, but after listening to those two idiots on ESPN I don't mind him.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Ben_ffc » Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:08 pm

fntsyrookie,

word to everything you posted. amen to all of it.

b
yeah...yes
Ben_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby FootballJones » Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:28 pm

The worst announcer of all time is Pat Summeral. He's so bad it's funny. but looking at him is even harder than listening to him. His liver spotted hands gripping the microphone like it's his life line. thank god he's gone .. or is he?
Theisman on the other hand is the biggest wind bag in announcing game. Just wait for the redskins sunday niter, he won't shut up.
One more is moose johnston if that guy says jetskin one more time i'm gonna, i'm gonna i'm gonna do something.
Thankfully I had Sonny, Sam, and Frank to save me.
FootballJones

Friendliness: %

Postby senseiosin » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:04 pm

Another guy who sucks is Dan Deirdorf, I mean if not for the fact that he sounds like a 14 year old kid with that lissspp but he also makes dumbass jokes that are only funny to himself as evidenced by the lack of laughter from his poor broadcast partner. Dont mean to dog him out for something thats not his fault but it his job and gets paid handsomly for it even though he's not a very articulate speaker. Theismann used to bother the hell outta me but he's not the worst, at least he's kinda young and in touch with today's players. Summeral cant make the list cause he was just getting soooo old and had some sort of medical problems, like Alzeihemers or whatever, I feel bad for him. WORST Sportscaster ever??? Has to be Bill "Smoke 'em if you got em" Walton. I could do that job if people wanted me to say "Throw it DOWN big man" or " ONE TIME, ONE TIME" or extoll the virtues of players that have been dead for 30 years about 50,000 times per Lakers game. What a tool that guy is
The only thing we have to fear is.... another injured Denver RB!!!!!!!!
senseiosin
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby kwirefire » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:30 pm

ya'll are right about the commentators. The worst thing i ever heard one say was after Joe Montana came back from his injury.
One some something like... "Joe's the best ever... blah blah blah... I don't care if he throws an INT, it'll be a pleasure just to see him throw the ball" WHATEVER!!!!

But I would like to ask Madden and Summeral, Just how much fun they had making the movie "The Replacements" ;-D
kwirefire
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk