cooking contest ( we need a judge who is neutral and knows.. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

cooking contest ( we need a judge who is neutral and knows..

Moderator: Football Moderators

cooking contest ( we need a judge who is neutral and knows..

Postby olympia0731 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:19 pm

how to cook)

I was thinking that we could post our favorite reciepes, and then someone would pick a winner.......

Any one up for this?
olympia0731
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: cooking contest ( we need a judge who is neutral and knows..

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:20 pm

olympia0731 wrote:how to cook)

I was thinking that we could post our favorite reciepes, and then someone would pick a winner.......

Any one up for this?

sounds like the unlucky cook is going to become broke, exhausted, and fat once this is over :-b

im not a cook, so doesnt sound like my type of thing.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby olympia0731 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:22 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:

Any one up for this?

sounds like the unlucky cook is going to become broke, exhausted, and fat once this is over :-b

I have a judge... I am freinds with this chef and he is rich. Now all we need is contestants!!
olympia0731
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:24 pm

olympia0731 wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:

Any one up for this?

I have a judge... I am freinds with this chef and he is rich. Now all we need is contestants!!

so you just want us to post recipes, and the chef will cook them and pick the one he likes the most???
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby olympia0731 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:28 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:
olympia0731 wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:

Any one up for this?

so you just want us to post recipes, and the chef will cook them and pick the one he likes the most???

Yep... I am looking for 5 contestants. Please only post one recipe.... here is mine:

Short Rib Ragu with Paperdelle

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 1/2 to 4 pounds short ribs, each about 2-inches long, cut flanken style, across the ribs
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 dried bay leaf
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
5 sprigs fresh thyme
2 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
4 small carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 medium shallots, diced
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup ruby port
2 cups red wine, such as cabernet
1/2 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
3 1/2 cups homemade beef stock
1 pound pappardelle or other long, flat pasta
Chopped parsley
Grated Pecorino Romano, for garnish
Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
Place a 5-quart casserole or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil, and heat until it is almost smoking. Season short ribs generously with salt and pepper. Working in batches if necessary, add short ribs to the hot oil. Cook ribs until browned on both sides. Remove ribs from casserole, and transfer to a large bowl. Set aside.

Meanwhile, prepare bouquet garni: Place bay leaf, rosemary, thyme, and parsley in the center of a square of cheesecloth. Bring edges together, and tie with kitchen string. Set bouquet garni aside.

Add carrots, celery, onion, and shallots to oil in the casserole, and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and golden, about 10 minutes.

Add flour and tomato paste to the casserole, and stir to combine. Add ruby port; stir with wooden spoon until all browned bits have been scraped from the pan and the bottom of the casserole is clean. Add red wine, and simmer until the liquid is reduced by half. Add garlic, beef stock, and the reserved bouquet garni.

Return browned ribs to the casserole. Bring the liquid to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover the casserole, and place it in the oven. Cook until ribs are very tender, about 3 hours.

Remove the cooked ribs from the casserole. Set the casserole on the stove top over medium heat, and simmer to thicken sauce just slightly. As soon as the short ribs are cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones, and shred into small pieces. Degrease the sauce and discard the bouquet garni. Return shredded meat to casserole, and simmer to reduce sauce by about half.

Fill a large pot with water and add a few tablespoons of salt. Set over high heat, and bring to a boil. Salt well, and stir in pasta. Cook until pasta is al dente. Drain pasta, and serve with short-rib ragu, sprinkle with the parsley. Serve with freshly grated Percorino Romano.

Moonhead is in also ;-D
olympia0731
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:38 pm

well, because the most complicated thing i know how to make is spaghetti, i dont think im gonna enter.
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Flockers » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:32 pm

The judge is your friend? Sounds like this contest is going to be a little biased. ;-7
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby olympia0731 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:35 pm

It is not gonna be biased...

I won't tell him who's recipie is who's.

R u intrested?
olympia0731
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The_Dude » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:45 pm

Here's the problem with this contest - recipes don't really tell you anything about the finished product. I don't get the point of a recipe contest if there's no eating involved, and obviously, technology has not progressed along far enough to make tasting the various concoctions possible.

So, rather than have a contest (the end of which seems kind of pointless), why not just have a thread for people to post their favorite recipes? That way there'll be more than 5 and if/when people try them, they can leave feedback.

But hey, that's just like, my opinion, man.

Duder

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby moonhead » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:45 pm

i have some good vegan recipes. i'll have to figure out which one is best when i get home. i also have a really good enchillada recipe. that one will probably be what i submit.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Next

Return to General Talk