What's THAT Supposed To Mean?!??! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What's THAT Supposed To Mean?!??!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Canacuna » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:57 am

I'm pretty sure we've done this before... actually, we have. I'd provide a link, but I'm sure Mercer will be all over this in mere seconds... and I can't go stealing MB's thunder like that.

Here's what I wrote back in the day:

The 'Cuna's explanation of the origins of 'canacuna' from back in the day wrote:
Canacuna wrote:For all you newbs... here's what I wrote back in the day (slightly edited for corrections + additional footage!). Remember when I actually had wit and was considered annoying, yet bordering on kind of funny by the Cafe community? Ah, those were the days...

The 'Cuna wrote:The story of he who would become Canacuna is an epic adventure that will send you through a plethora of emotions. You will laugh. You will cry. You will be thoroughly engaged in the story of he who would become Canacuna.

It all started many a years ago when Al Gore concocted a little something we like to call the internet. Flash forward many a years.

It was a nice, warm spring day. Canacuna's parents decided it was time to invest in a computer. They went to the local Gateway store and put a big wad of money on the counter, demanding their state-of-the-art piece of machinery. After being informed their computer would be made special for them, according to their specifications, and would arrive in a few short weeks, they calmly sat down and listened to the salesperson.

Two weeks are so accumulated when out of nowhere, there was a mighty ring on the doorbell of the home in which Canacuna took up residence. It was the trusty UPS man. The computer had arrived.

After the computer was all set up, Canacuna's parents decided that they should be connected to the world wide web. They started with a fledgling company, called WOW!. It advertised premium child safety, so naturally that was the choice. Canacuna's parents decided it would give little Canacuna extra resources to excel in his fourth grade class. He was allowed to choose his own username, and he did. He was now known to the online community as "DudeAlert". Unfortunately, WOW! wasn't a very profitable company and was shut down not many months later.

Next stop for Canacuna was MSN. He was known simply as Guest1938, or something similar. Unfortunately, Canacuna's protective mother read something in a magazine about the lack of parental controls on MSN and became worrisome that little Canacuna may be getting exposed to things that he shouldn't see. That was the end of that.

AOL was the next, and most important stop in the line of Canacuna's internet providers. He entered AOL with the username "CyberJonny". Unaware of the term for internet sex, "cyber," lil' Canacuna received many odd instant messages that puzzled the young boy. One day his older cousin, Dustin, came to visit. He logged on to lil' Canacuna's account and proceeded to have some fun with these instant messages, along with some other things that ultimately lead to Canacuna's account being deleted by the authorities at AOL.

Outraged, Canacuna's parents called the AOL Customer Service line and got the entire situation straightened out. Canacuna was back! ...but under a different username. He was now known as CowFish85 - something he considered clever at the time. That didn't last long, though. Canacuna began visiting chat rooms on AOL and was impressed by the much cooler and innovative user names others had. Canacuna felt that "CowFish85" was a little immature, even for a young child such as himself. He decided it was time for a change - "EvilAgent". Why EvilAgent? Well, lil' Canacuna had just finished playing Goldeneye for the N64 and went through a little awkward spy phase...

EvilAgent became a popular visitor to the chat rooms. He had gained quite a following in the AOL chats and was a well respected member. However he soon outgrew his spy phase and wanted yet another identity.

Unfortunately, all of the cool names lil' Canacuna liked were taken due to AOLs ever expanding membership clientel. He had thought of everything he could and had finally given up. He decided to slam the keyboard and piece together whatever letters were pushed into something that might be able to be pronounced.

His first screen name that followed these guidelines was Radull. Radull became fairly popular and even started his own monthly newsletter that ranted on a little everything - sports, politics, movies, music, and the like (however it was poorly written, as most other 12 year-old rants tend to be). Unfortunately for lil' Canacuna, he had a tough guy mentality that went along with the name "Radull" and enjoyed cussing people out whenever they disagreed with him - deciding it was a quicker way to end arguments than in a civilized manner. Apparently, those cussing outbursts went against AOL's TOS guidelines, and lil' Canacuna's account was deleted - again.

Canacuna was without the internet for about six months before his parents decided it was in their best interests to get it back. With that, Canacuna needed to decide on a new username. He had been getting into videogames at the time and even aspired to have a career in videogames. Knowing the Japanese played a big role in the videogame industry, Canacuna purchased an English-Japanese dictionary. He lost interest in little over a week though, so the book went to waste. Or did it?

Canacuna couldn't decide on a new username, so he checked his handy Japanese dictionary for something cool. "Hiryuu" jumped out at him - it had something to do with dragons or something. But anyway, Canacuna took it. ...However, Canacuna began to be entertained by messing with people in chat rooms and one day took something a little too far and was kicked off AOL yet again.

...So Canacuna got a new account, again, and proceeded to mash the keyboard. He mashed out "can". That was taken. He thought, "What letter could I add to make "can" a cool name? "cane"? "canu"? "cann"? No. "cana"? Oh, that's just too awesome. "Cana" was taken, though. "Canai"? "Canak"? All of those were taken, too. Canacuna needed something a little longer.

He mashed the keyboard again, and "cun" appeared. He decided to put "cana" and "cun" together to make an almost perfect username - "Canacun."

As "Canacun", The 'Cuna re-entered the chat room community. He gained much fame and following, only to become aware of an error on AOL's part. For some odd reason, "Canacun" wasn't able to receive e-mail. As popular as The 'Cuna was at the time, it was only right for people to have access to him - an e-mail account was necessary and had to be acquired!

...so I added an "a" at the end. That's been my username for about six or seven years now.

And that friends, is how Canacuna came to be.

This is long due to extreme boredom on my part. Hopefully you're not bored enough to have read all of that.

Wow, I wrote that when I was still referring to myself as 'canacuna' instead of 'The 'Cuna'. That's a while ago.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:48 am

I joined the baseball side before I joined the football side. All of my teams were named the Omaha Red Sox, Omaha, where I'm from and Red Sox, my favorite MLB team. I didn't even think that my league-mates could log on here and see my team name, but here it is. I couldn't change it when I came over to the football side, so I'll forever be the Omaha Red Sox.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby mutantseabass » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:59 am

Heres a link to the other one, theres a link inside of their to yet another one.

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... reen+names

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Balanced Man » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:00 am

The Balanced Man is a concept from my fraternity, Sigma Phi Epsilon, back when I was in college. Kind of a program of sorts to improve yourself.

The idea is to improve yourself to your highest potential in four areas: Scholar, Athlete, Leader, Gentleman.

The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Jimboozie » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:05 am

My coworkers call me Jimboozie or Jimboozer.

I guess it's cause I like to drink. :*)
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:07 am

mutantseabass wrote:Heres a link to the other one, theres a link inside of their to yet another one.

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... reen+names

You beat me to it B-)

I thought I answered it in one of those, but I guess I didn't so here goes:

Way back in 1993 my friend asked me to join a fantasy football league he was starting, I knew most of the guys and loved football so I said OK. Then I realized that I had to come up with a name for my team, I was trying to think of something unique so I didn't want any current team names like Wolverines, Colts, Lions etc. I could not think of anything so the night before the draft I was laying in bed thinking of a name that would be cool for my team, still not coming up with anything I thought maybe it will come to me in a dream...hey wait, why not name my team Dream. Yeah that's it. Since then my team name for every league has been Dream (I know not very original, but you don't get rid of something that works, right) Once the internet age hit, I was getting email addresses and such and needed a user name and dream was taken so I had to add my favorite number 17, all the variations were taken except dream_017 and there you have it, the story of dream_017 ;-D
Last edited by dream_017 on Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby knapplc » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:20 am

Canacuna wrote:I'm pretty sure we've done this before... actually, we have. I'd provide a link, but I'm sure Mercer will be all over this in mere seconds... and I can't go stealing MB's thunder like that.

I figured this had been done, but it's been so long and there are so many new users that I thought it wouldn't hurt to do again.

If Mercer can find the link that'd be great, but until then... :-D

Canacuna wrote:Canacuna couldn't decide on a new username, so he checked his handy Japanese dictionary for something cool. "Hiryuu" jumped out at him - it had something to do with dragons or something. But anyway, Canacuna took it. ...However, Canacuna began to be entertained by messing with people in chat rooms and one day took something a little too far and was kicked off AOL yet again.

Hiryu was the name of one of the four Japanese aircraft carriers sunk during the Battle of Midway, which turned the tide of the war in the Pacific Theater in WWII.

The other three were the Akagi, the Kaga and the Soryu. All four were lost in the first part of June, 1942, just six months after taking part in the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.

Midway was a crushing defeat for the Land of the Rising Sun, as it left them only two top-of-the-line carriers, the Shokaku and the Zukaku against the mounting strength of the American Navy. As the Pacific Theater of WWII proved, naval warfare thrives on naval air power. With their carrier fleet largely destroyed in one engagement, the Japanese were forced to wage a defensive war on all fronts for the remainder of the action in the Pacific.

That's what I first thought of when I read your old username.

And yes, kids, this was all from memory. Pay attention in school. History rocks.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby xted30 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:38 am

x=xavier (where I went to school)

ted=tedford is my last name

30=the number I wore for college baseball

Nothing too fancy.
xted30
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby onnestabe » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:51 am

OK, way back when I was in high school and we still had AOL, I was changing screen names. I wanted to have something that I coul duse on many different websites and not have to worry about it being taken, and I happened to have a $5 bill that day, so I figured that Honest Abe wouldn't be taken (how many people are there out there with the name Abraham?). Unfortunately, that particular spelling of it was taken, so I changed up the spelling and voila, I am now onnestabe.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby VaderFin » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:05 am

My favorite movie character of all time plus the greatest football team of all time = Me.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk