What's THAT Supposed To Mean?!??! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What's THAT Supposed To Mean?!??!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What's THAT Supposed To Mean?!??!

Postby knapplc » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:46 pm

scottaa1 wrote:Yeah I'm aware of that.

This is what I read, I thought the 'c' was for the corporal part, guess I made a leap of assumption.

Pretty simple on my part... first name Scott, middle and last initials are A, and a numeral 1 on the end for no real reason.

My real name came from my father's rank in the USMC, Lance Corporal Steven Whelchel.

My screen name is as described above, knapp (last name), then my initial (l) and my wife's initial (c).
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:00 pm

knapplc wrote:...and my wife's initial (c).

Christine? :-)
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:20 pm

knapplc wrote:

This is what I read, I thought the 'c' was for the corporal part, guess I made a leap of assumption.

Pretty simple on my part... first name Scott, middle and last initials are A, and a numeral 1 on the end for no real reason.

My real name came from my father's rank in the USMC, Lance Corporal Steven Whelchel.

Good thing that he wasn't in the navy. Being named Seaman would have gotten you beaten up even more in grammar school.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:28 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
knapplc wrote:

Good thing that he wasn't in the navy. Being named Seaman would have gotten you beaten up even more in grammar school.

Nah. I did the beating up in grammar school. Mostly people who cracked on my father's military choice. Seems having a smart mouth and having quick fists don't necessarily go hand in hand.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:27 pm

knapplc wrote:Nah. I did the beating up in grammar school. Mostly people who cracked on my father's military choice. Seems having a smart mouth and having quick fists don't necessarily go hand in hand.

You big bully! :-b

Speaking of bullies...
Last edited by Metroid on Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby spodog » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:33 pm

knapplc wrote:It's a good subject, and instead of creating a new thread I figured I'd bump this one so newbs could do some explaining. ;-D

Well, I'm not a noob, but I do get 15 or 20 IM's a day asking about the origins of my handle as well.

My buddy Bob, who now lives in Chicago, gave me this nickname. The story about how I obtained it is kind of long, so I'll put it here:
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=390281

and yes, I have the shield up and am fully prepared to be called a pig and all that other stuff . . .
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:42 pm

I'd not seen this thread before it was dug back up recently, some fun reading.

Kilroy, you big softie :-D I had thought your handle was a reference to the Styx album/Mr. Roboto song, and never gave it any further thought. After reading the history behind it I googled it and read more on the history from the WWII era. Interesting stuff. This afternoon at work I took the opportunity to draw a little figure peering over a wall on a whiteboard in a miscellaneous conference room. :-b
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Re:

Postby spodog » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:02 pm

Kilroy wrote:In Junior High (when Dinosaurs roamed the Earth) a friend of mine's sister (who was hot even then) was distraught (as only a 13 year-old girl can be) after being dumped by her boyfriend. I felt bad for her so.........

I hopped on my bike, rode to the store and bought a rose and a card. Early the next morning (while delivering my paper route) I left the rose and card on her doorstep. I didn't want to sign my name to the card (13 year-old wuss that I was) so I scrawled "Kilroy was here" instead.

Well, she was beaming the next day telling everyone about her "secret admirer" (what now would be considered creepy was still "romantic" in the 1870s) so I figured "what the hell". "Kilroy" left her a note or a card and a rose every week or so for a couple months.

Unfortunately one of her friends recognized my handwriting, and one day shouted out "Hey, Kilroy!" Bright Bulb that I was I turned around, and the jig, as they say, was up.

The name stuck, and now, some twenty plus years later, my friends still call me Kilroy.

2 years after you explain it, and some 22 after thea act, I'll give you the "attaboy". This was a great story, and you had a good thing working there if you could have held out in secrecy for 5 years until she was about 18. ;-D
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Re:

Postby Kilroy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:44 pm

spodog wrote:
Kilroy wrote:In Junior High (when Dinosaurs roamed the Earth) a friend of mine's sister (who was hot even then) was distraught (as only a 13 year-old girl can be) after being dumped by her boyfriend. I felt bad for her so.........

I hopped on my bike, rode to the store and bought a rose and a card. Early the next morning (while delivering my paper route) I left the rose and card on her doorstep. I didn't want to sign my name to the card (13 year-old wuss that I was) so I scrawled "Kilroy was here" instead.

Well, she was beaming the next day telling everyone about her "secret admirer" (what now would be considered creepy was still "romantic" in the 1870s) so I figured "what the hell". "Kilroy" left her a note or a card and a rose every week or so for a couple months.

Unfortunately one of her friends recognized my handwriting, and one day shouted out "Hey, Kilroy!" Bright Bulb that I was I turned around, and the jig, as they say, was up.

The name stuck, and now, some twenty plus years later, my friends still call me Kilroy.

2 years after you explain it, and some 22 after thea act, I'll give you the "attaboy". This was a great story, and you had a good thing working there if you could have held out in secrecy for 5 years until she was about 18. ;-D

We went out for a while in High School. B-)

And scott, I doodle little "Kilroy Was Here" figures all over the place. Work, Seats at Ballgames, you name it. :-D

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Re: Re:

Postby m16a » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:31 am

Kilroy wrote:
And scott, I doodle little "Kilroy Was Here" figures all over the place. Work, Seats at Ballgames, you name it. :-D

Lord have mercy on me... Why is there a little "kilroy was here" inscribed on the inside of the door to my house... :-o
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 47)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk