WAY undervalued Rb's thnis year..... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

WAY undervalued Rb's thnis year.....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Underrated

Postby DraftDodger » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:01 pm

Over the past three years, the best team at rushing across the goal stripe has been KC. Second and third have been Seattle and SD. Who are the top 3 rushers going into this season? LJ, Alexander, and LT2. Maybe there's a little something to this.

Two other teams look good over the past three years: Atlanta and Denver. Dunn is already rated pretty high, but Bell might turn out to be a steal.

If we look at the same numbers (team rushing TD's) for just 2004 and 2005, it shakes out like this:

1. Kansas City
2. Seattle
3. San Diego
4. Pittsburgh
5. New York Giants
6. Atlanta
7. Denver
8. New England

This suggests that Parker is an underrated player.

Of course, these are Team TD's, so if the #1 guy is shadowed by a vulture back, that could affect his performance.

Either way, these are the teams getting it done on the ground. KC is the clear leader with #1 finishes in '03 and '04, and #2 last year. Seattle finished #1 last year but was only #5 in '04 and #7 in '03. San Diego was #4 last year and #2 in '04, but has the worst '03 finish at #11.

To me, this puts Larry Johnson in the driver seat, Alexander in second, and LT2 third.

It's very possible to me that you could miss Edge, Rudi, Cadillac, Portis, or Jackson in the draft and end up better off with someone like Parker or Bell. Certainly those guys deserve a look if you're going after a QB or WR in the first two rounds and can't grab two 'stud' running backs.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:34 pm

Love the Jamal Lewis call. Hopefully I can snag him as my RB#2 in a lot of leagues.

Jamal Lewis = Rudi Johnson with a 5th gear and quicker feet.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Azrael » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:48 pm

People are definitely still afraid that Benson will end up taking time away from TJ. I think TJ could have been a great back on a decent offense. Problem is he's either been on crappy offenses, hurt, or underutilized. In AZ he was labeled a bust but I didn't see anyone else performing there. In TB he split with Pittman and in Chicago he's back on a crappy offense. The line isn't bad; it's just that no one believed they could throw (and they couldn't) after Grossman got hurt (again!). He should have a decent year, but with the questions about how much time Benson may or may not steal and the ability of the offense to move the ball I'd say he's rightly valued.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Re: Underrated

Postby olympia0731 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:16 am

DraftDodger wrote:Over the past three years, the best team at rushing across the goal stripe has been KC. Second and third have been Seattle and SD. Who are the top 3 rushers going into this season? LJ, Alexander, and LT2. Maybe there's a little something to this.

Two other teams look good over the past three years: Atlanta and Denver. Dunn is already rated pretty high, but Bell might turn out to be a steal.

If we look at the same numbers (team rushing TD's) for just 2004 and 2005, it shakes out like this:

1. Kansas City
2. Seattle
3. San Diego
4. Pittsburgh
5. New York Giants
6. Atlanta
7. Denver
8. New England

This suggests that Parker is an underrated player.

Of course, these are Team TD's, so if the #1 guy is shadowed by a vulture back, that could affect his performance.

Either way, these are the teams getting it done on the ground. KC is the clear leader with #1 finishes in '03 and '04, and #2 last year. Seattle finished #1 last year but was only #5 in '04 and #7 in '03. San Diego was #4 last year and #2 in '04, but has the worst '03 finish at #11.

To me, this puts Larry Johnson in the driver seat, Alexander in second, and LT2 third.

It's very possible to me that you could miss Edge, Rudi, Cadillac, Portis, or Jackson in the draft and end up better off with someone like Parker or Bell. Certainly those guys deserve a look if you're going after a QB or WR in the first two rounds and can't grab two 'stud' running backs.

You make some GREAT points. Parker should have a good year...
olympia0731
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby toofunny » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:06 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Love the Jamal Lewis call. Hopefully I can snag him as my RB#2 in a lot of leagues.

hahahahahahahaha

RB 2. hahahahahaha

Did you not watch football last year?

Ravens aren't so sure of a comeback, they went out and got MA. Lewis is broken. Period. People gambled on him last year, and he sucked. So lets gamble on him again! One of these years he'll pan out.

Forget that. Instead of wasting a 2nd round pick on Lewis, go draft Holt/Fitz/Smith.
toofunny
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mattb47 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:16 pm

toofunny wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Love the Jamal Lewis call. Hopefully I can snag him as my RB#2 in a lot of leagues.

hahahahahahahaha

RB 2. hahahahahaha

Ravens aren't so sure of a comeback, they went out and got MA. Lewis is broken. Period. People gambled on him last year, and he sucked. So lets gamble on him again! One of these years he'll pan out.

Forget that. Instead of wasting a 2nd round pick on Lewis, go draft Holt/Fitz/Smith.

You may have been too busy heckling that comment to figure out that you're reasoning is pretty much dead wrong here. If you go simply by stats then yes, Jamal had a terrible year and obviously will again, but to ignore the other things surrounding that bad season is foolish. He was in jail for the summer, trying to recover from an injury. You tell me if those are ideal conditions to get into football shape for the regular season.

You also fail to notice that Mike Anderson was a former fullback and last year their only fullback was hurt for a lot of the season. They are making sure it wont happen again with bringing in a guy like Anderson who not only replaces Taylor as Lewis's backup, but also can play Fullback if need be. They needed to bring in a RB to replace Taylor who left, so a guy like Anderson makes perfect sense.

The people who gambled on him last year shouldn't have, all the indicators were that he would have a down year simply because of the poor offseason he had. This year he will be back into football shape and should make a comeback. He'll start the year completely healthy and will be the #1 RB and get the bulk of the carries.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Twisted Sister » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:39 am

2nd round :-°
3rd round ;-D

I'd rather pick up a sure thing WR (ppr league)... 1st 2 picks have to be studs. Jamal could do well, but even you'll admit there is a lot of uncertaintly.... just a little too risky for a 2nd rounder in my book (at this point).

You may even be better off selecting a better player (percieved by other owners) and packaging a trade after the draft.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

In defense of Kensat

Postby DraftDodger » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:13 am

Kensat30 wrote:

>>>
Love the Jamal Lewis call. Hopefully I can snag him as my RB#2 in a lot of leagues.

<<<

toofunny answered:

>>>
hahahahahahahaha

RB 2. hahahahahaha

<<<

In all fairness to Kensat, he didn't say he'd spend a 2nd round pick on Lewis, just that he wanted him as his #2 back. That 'hoping' comment suggests that Kensat will draft a high WR in the second round, with hopes of snagging Lewis with the #3 pick.

You have to admit, there's plenty of potential upside there. If Lewis doesn't fall that far, then I suspect Kensat would go for another RB with a potentially huge upside, a Willie Parker or Ronnie Brown perhaps.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby TheDiplomats » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:06 pm

Another undervalued back will be Chris Brown. If he can stay healthy, he should put up some decent numbers this season.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:59 pm

toofunny wrote:

hahahahahahahaha

RB 2. hahahahahaha

You take Fitz, I'll take Lewis.

It's guys like you with a 30 minute attention span that will drop Lewis right into my hands. Last year I didn't want any part of the guy, but this year he just screams value to me. You think Mike Anderson was bruoght in to play a major role in that offense? Did YOU not watch football last year? Mike Anderson is done. 2-3 yards and a cloud of dust anywhere except Denver.

PS- I guess you didn't watch football in 2000-2004 when Lewis was a solid #2 RB at worst.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk