TO THE MOON ALICE... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

TO THE MOON ALICE...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby knapplc » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:53 am

The Balanced Man wrote:Yea, we will be able to get by, but it certainly kills any financial freedom we had.

She is going from working at a large bankruptcy law firm to the Public Defenders office.

The interview is in 20 minutes... :-o :-o

I don't know whether to wish you "good luck" or "bad luck."

I'll wish for you that you both get what you need out of this situation, TBM.

KnappLC <----- Fingers crossed...
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Balanced Man » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:08 am

So, the interview went well, and she wasn't offered the job on the spot, but that generally doesn't happen anyway. I'm betting she will recieve the offer within a week.

There are two computers in the office, and 10 attorneys.

Oh well, whatever makes her happy.
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The_Captain » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:06 am

You know we've all had our opinions about this situation but I don't know if anyone has asked you how you're doing or feeling about all this?

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Balanced Man » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:21 am

Well, we just paid off a bunch of debt, to the point where we were going to have expendible income every month. We were gonna divide it into thirds and save it, put it into an IRA, and use the rest to improve the house (which given, is pretty much done anyway). I was looking forward to using the money in that way.

I personally think in about 6-8 months she will hate this job too. Then she will go find another. You have a much higher likelyhood of making more at a new job if you made more at your last job in the legal feild. I think the move will hurt us financially down the road.

Regardless, if she is so unhappy at the job she is at, how can I tell her to stay?

Truthfully, I believe everything happens for a reason, and God will sort things through. So I guess I'm ok with it. I was just looking forward to funding an IRA.
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:55 am

The Balanced Man wrote:Well, we just paid off a bunch of debt, to the point where we were going to have expendible income every month. We were gonna divide it into thirds and save it, put it into an IRA, and use the rest to improve the house (which given, is pretty much done anyway). I was looking forward to using the money in that way.

I know how youre feeling (or will feel). Late in '04 my wife "lost" her job through outsource, but was kept on at the new company...at HALF of what she was making (now 25k/year). That definitely put a crimp on our style. (At least mine anyway.) I was up-and-coming as a pro bowler, but this hit cost us too much money to continue practicing as much as I was, and paying tourney fees with the thought that I may not make the $ back. My life is fine and I've made some good money in real estate over the last couple of years that I may or may not have made in pro bowling. My advice would be to keep your eyes/ears open for other financial outlets that may be able to soften the financial blow and also realize that initially it may suck, but after a while you dont miss what you dont have.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bagobonez » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:44 pm

Money's just money, man. You can't take it with you when you die. Whenever you're on your deathbed and looking back at your life... are you going to say "man i'm sure glad I made my wife keep that good paying job, even though it made her miserable, consequently making me miserable in the process" or are you going to say... "i'm sure glad i decided that money's not the most important thing here, and that my wife was able to happy"
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby VaderFin » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:55 pm

TBM's main worry here isn't the money, though it is a worry. His main worry is that his wife will take this job and then hate it in 6 months, thus if you are going to hate both jobs you might as well hate the higher paying one. Hope it works out for you! ;-D
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:15 pm

The Balanced Man wrote:There are two computers in the office, and 10 attorneys.

Insert obligatory "So how do they decide who gets to check their teams first on Monday" comment here...

Hope everything works out for the best, BM! :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk