That's not the King's English! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

That's not the King's English!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby VaderFin » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:12 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
VaderFin wrote:Any sport that can, and does, end in a 0-0 tie is not worth my time.

I've never understood this frame of mind. Why?

Do you mean other then because it's boring?
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:19 pm

VaderFin wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
VaderFin wrote:Any sport that can, and does, end in a 0-0 tie is not worth my time.

Why? What makes a low scoring game necessarily boring?
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Crimedogg32 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:23 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
VaderFin wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

isnt it pretty obvious? Its because there is no scoring and nobody likes a tie
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby portisfan24 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:37 pm

Not a big fan of all of the leagues and whatnot, but the World Cup is nuts. 100 000 fans going crazy, upsets and shootouts are awesome. Awesome to watch.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:18 am

Crimedogg32 wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
VaderFin wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

I just don't understand why low scoring automatically translates to boring. By that reasoning we should all like the Arena League better than the NFL, and a Shaun Alexander one-yard dive for a TD would be more exciting than a big hit or an interception because it increases the score. There are plenty of exciting plays in a soccer game that don't necessarily translate to goals.

I couldn't care less whether or not people like soccer, and I'm not going to try to convince someone that they should enjoy it, but the 'low scoring=boring' reasoning always sticks in my craw.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby VaderFin » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:28 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
Crimedogg32 wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
VaderFin wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

I just don't understand why low scoring automatically translates to boring. By that reasoning we should all like the Arena League better than the NFL, and a Shaun Alexander one-yard dive for a TD would be more exciting than a big hit or an interception because it increases the score. There are plenty of exciting plays in a soccer game that don't necessarily translate to goals.

I couldn't care less whether or not people like soccer, and I'm not going to try to convince someone that they should enjoy it, but the 'low scoring=boring' reasoning always sticks in my craw.

0-0 is not low scoring...it is NO scoring. That is beyond lame. And that is only the tip of the iceberg on why soccer is lame. Breath or look cross eyed at some soccer guy and he will fall to the ground writhering in pain looking like he just blew his knee into oblivion only to see him sprinting down the field like nothing ever happened 5 minutes later. Honestly, I could go on and on about why soccer blows but it's soccer and I can't believe I wasted this much time on it so I won't waste anymore. :-D
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Atog » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:40 pm

I love Soccer/Football/Fútbol, especially when it's on Univision. I have a Chivas jersey ;-D

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL ;-D
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:03 pm

VaderFin wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
Crimedogg32 wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
VaderFin wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

0-0 is not low scoring...it is NO scoring. That is beyond lame. And that is only the tip of the iceberg on why soccer is lame.

The rest of your points notwithstanding (I've already stated that I don't care whether or not people like soccer, and there are many valid reasons to dislike it), I still don't understand why you think that low scoring is boring, or lame. I've seen action packed soccer games that ended 0-0, and I've seen some 3-4 games that were rather boring. There are plenty of exciting plays in any given soccer game that don't directly translate to scoring (just as in any other sport).
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Previous

Return to General Talk