Three Cheers For The Judge!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

Three Cheers For The Judge!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Three Cheers For The Judge!!!

Postby knapplc » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:06 am

PONTIAC, Mich. - An Oakland County judge has had enough of one 17-year-old. Cameron D. Wells, was accused of vandalizing a court office and stealing a judge's gavel, and repeatedly angered Circuit Court Judge Gene Schnelz with his behavior.

On Wednesday, the judge sentenced Wells to 56 days in a county boot camp program on a larceny charge. If he fails to complete it, he'll get 180 days in jail, and even prison time if he uses drugs or alcohol.

"Test positive one time, and I'm giving you two to four (years) in the state prison," Schnelz told the youth.

Wells' problems started when a Farmington Hills district court judge sentenced him to community service on a minor in possession of alcohol charge. But while doing the work in September, Wells was accused of vandalizing a court office and stealing the gavel.

He ended up in Circuit Court and pleaded guilty to larceny in a building, but didn't admit that he took the gavel.

"He's 17 years old," Daniel Hilf, his lawyer, told The Oakland Press after the sentencing. "He did something stupid and he was punished for it."

Hilf also asked that Wells be considered for the Holmes Youthful Trainee Act, which would have erased the offense from his criminal record. But Schnelz denied the request.

"He disrespected the court to the degree that he did," Schnelz said. "No, no favors. Quit whining and being a baby. You're 17 years old. A little discipline is what he needs."


Amen, Brother!!! ;-D

When I was 16 I did something really, really stupid. Criminal Mischief and Vandalism. Destruction of Property. Just something stupid that seemed like “fun” at the time.

I got busted because my accomplice and I aren't exactly "Italian Job" quality criminals. ;-) So I got arrested and had my day in court where I got a year’s probation and 160 hours of community service. In my hearing the judge dressed me down in front of everybody, chewed me a new one and generally made me feel like an ass.

It was the best thing that he could have done, IMO. I deserved it, I had been stupid and I didn’t have any reason to be treated like anything other than a dumb punk kid. If he had been lenient who knows what message that could have sent me.

I just wish all our judges would do this more often. I’ve seen too many kids go in and out of the courthouse with just a light tap on the wrist and no chastisement whatsoever. It doesn’t help a kid to “give him a break” when he’s done something he needs to own up to and pay for.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Postby dream_017 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:20 am

Totally agree with you and the judge Knapp ;-D

Its the same reason kids get away with so much from their parents, the parents are afraid to show them some discipline.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15316
(Past Year: 70)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Postby knapplc » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:39 am

dream_017 wrote:Totally agree with you and the judge Knapp ;-D

Its the same reason kids get away with so much from their parents, the parents are afraid to show them some discipline.

Parents don’t discipline their kids because it SUCKS. My daughter is three and I HATE disciplining her. Even when she really, really deserves it I don’t want to do it. She’s my little Boop and it just kills me to tell her “No” or to take things away, put her in Time Out or to swat her butt. It just makes me feel awful to do any of this stuff. I completely understand where these parents are coming from. I don’t agree with them, but I understand them.

I discipline my girl because I know the consequences of NOT doing it far outweigh the hurt I feel when I do it. I parent from a “goal-state” mentality – I want my daughter to have certain beliefs and qualities when she’s an adult that she will not have unless I instill them now. It’s hard sometimes, but it’s the best thing for her.

I just wish all parents parented this way.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Postby dream_017 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:07 am

knapplc wrote:
dream_017 wrote:Totally agree with you and the judge Knapp ;-D

Its the same reason kids get away with so much from their parents, the parents are afraid to show them some discipline.

Parents don’t discipline their kids because it SUCKS. My daughter is three and I HATE disciplining her. Even when she really, really deserves it I don’t want to do it. She’s my little Boop and it just kills me to tell her “No” or to take things away, put her in Time Out or to swat her butt. It just makes me feel awful to do any of this stuff. I completely understand where these parents are coming from. I don’t agree with them, but I understand them.

I discipline my girl because I know the consequences of NOT doing it far outweigh the hurt I feel when I do it. I parent from a “goal-state” mentality – I want my daughter to have certain beliefs and qualities when she’s an adult that she will not have unless I instill them now. It’s hard sometimes, but it’s the best thing for her.

I just wish all parents parented this way.


I agree again, my son is 2, but when he does something I disapprove of or I know it is wrong for him to do, I make sure that he knows (usually time-out at this point, but when he is older I will not have a problem with a swat on the butt) and guess what, he still runs up to me when I come home from work, he still gives me hugs and kisses and still comes to me when he needs help with something. I hate to do it too, but I know it is best for him in the long run. Too many parents just want to be their kids best friend, in the long run I don't think that option works
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15316
(Past Year: 70)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:18 am

Knapp's right on. Disciplining your kids sucks and that is part of the reason why parents don't. But I think the biggest reason is because it's hard work and too many parents are lazy these days. Instead of sticking to their guns, whether it's popular or not, they just say, 'ok' and let the kids get away with murder. It's much easier to let your kid get away with something, and ignore it, then to train the kid that it is wrong. I'm damn proud of my son, who genuinely knows respect, is polite and knows right from wrong.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:32 am

You know you're addicted to the Cafe when you think this thread is about The_Judge reaching 3,000 posts... :*)
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1527
Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mutantseabass » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:59 am

dream hit the nail on the head. Too many people want to be their kids best friends. I punish my kids and have no guilt about it. I love my kids but i want them to have structure in their life. When i was a kid i had a fear of my Dad, its not like he beat me or abused me in any way it was subtle things like a look or the tone of his voice. I love my father more for doing that for me. My dad also took me fishing and we raised tropical fish, played ball, and showed me all the fun things in life. Thats exactly how i raise my kids. My kids all have a point system they work on, do good things, be respectful, help clean up around the house you get points. They can then redeem those points for things they want. An extra cookie, some more video game time, go fishing, and even a trip to Chuck E. Cheese whenever they want(they havent gotten this far yet :-b ). But you have to have that discpline installed on your kids. To be successful in life you have to have self discipline and i do all i can to help my kids reach that goal. You have to make that choice friend or parent? I made my mind up when my first son was born, i was going to be parent then friend.
Image

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11757
Joined: 23 Aug 2002
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Motor City

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:09 pm

cheer! :-b
cheer! :-b
cheer! :-b
Image
Image
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 11906
Joined: 15 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:56 pm

mutantseabass wrote:dream hit the nail on the head. Too many people want to be their kids best friends. I punish my kids and have no guilt about it. I love my kids but i want them to have structure in their life. When i was a kid i had a fear of my Dad, its not like he beat me or abused me in any way it was subtle things like a look or the tone of his voice. I love my father more for doing that for me. My dad also took me fishing and we raised tropical fish, played ball, and showed me all the fun things in life. Thats exactly how i raise my kids. My kids all have a point system they work on, do good things, be respectful, help clean up around the house you get points. They can then redeem those points for things they want. An extra cookie, some more video game time, go fishing, and even a trip to Chuck E. Cheese whenever they want(they havent gotten this far yet :-b ). But you have to have that discpline installed on your kids. To be successful in life you have to have self discipline and i do all i can to help my kids reach that goal. You have to make that choice friend or parent? I made my mind up when my first son was born, i was going to be parent then friend.


Very nice post MSB. I think every dad has 'The Look'. Very effective. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Postby CC » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:19 pm

2-4 years in state prison for weed and underage drinking (obviously as a followup)? Seems a little extreme to me.
Image
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11079
Joined: 30 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House.

Next

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 13:25 hours
(and 35 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact