Oregon Man Survives 12 Nails To The Head - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Oregon Man Survives 12 Nails To The Head

Moderator: Football Moderators

Oregon Man Survives 12 Nails To The Head

Postby VaderFin » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:27 pm

Owwwies.

Oregon Man Survives 12 Nails to the Head

By SARAH SKIDMORE
Associated Press Writer
Posted April 21 2006, 10:44 PM EDT

E-mail story Print story

PORTLAND, Ore. -- An Oregon man who went to a hospital complaining of a headache was found to have 12 nails embedded in his skull from a suicide attempt with a nail gun, doctors say.

Surgeons removed the nails with needle-nosed pliers and a drill, and the man survived with no serious lasting effects, according to a report on the medical oddity in the current issue of the Journal of Neurosurgery.

The unidentified 33-year-old man was suicidal and high on methamphetamine last year when he fired the nails -- up to 2 inches in length -- into his head one by one.

The nails were not visible when doctors first examined the man in the emergency room of an unidentified Oregon hospital a day later. Doctors were surprised when X-rays revealed six nails clustered between his right eye and ear, two below his right ear and four on the left side of his head.

The study did not say how long the nails were, and a hospital spokeswoman refused to release that information. A photo published in the study suggests the nails range from 1 1/2 to 2 inches long.

No one before is known to have survived after intentionally firing so many foreign objects into the head, according to the report, written by Dr. G. Alexander West, the neurosurgeon who oversaw the treatment of the patient.

The man at first told doctors he had had a nail gun accident, but later admitted it was a suicide attempt.

The nails came close to major blood vessels and the brain stem but did not pierce them. The patient was in remarkably good condition when he was transferred to Oregon Health & Science University in Portland, where the nails were removed.

The patient was later transferred to psychiatric care and stayed under court order for nearly a month before leaving against doctors' orders.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moonhead » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:36 pm

why would you wait a year to go to the hospital after firing 12 nails into your head? :-?
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby knapplc » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:38 pm

moonhead wrote:why would you wait a year to go to the hospital after firing 12 nails into your head? :-?

Because you're from Oregon? :-?

;-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:00 pm

moonhead wrote:why would you wait a year to go to the hospital after firing 12 nails into your head? :-?

He went a year ago and somehow they weren't "visible"?? What kind of quack saw him? :-?
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:03 pm

Where does it say he waited a year?

I see where it says the incident happened last year, but I don't see where it says a year elapsed from the time he shot himself until the time he went to the hospital....

I think it took several months for the article to be published, but from what I read it seems like he went to the hospital shortly after he shot himself....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jayday » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:13 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:

Where does it say he waited a year?

I see where it says the incident happened last year, but I don't see where it says a year elapsed from the time he shot himself until the time he went to the hospital....

I think it took several months for the article to be published, but from what I read it seems like he went to the hospital shortly after he shot himself....

Yea, I don't see how you could wait a year....That would be insane if he did though....

Once the nails were removed, he should have had a mandatory visectomy(sp?) so that he can't pass on the "stupid gene"
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby dream_017 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:14 pm

Why did I think this would be about Joey Harrington leaving Detroit :-?
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby SeaWolf » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:02 pm

knapplc wrote:

;-)

Be carefull there are 2 members from the cafe that live in Oregon. NFL Fan and deluxe_247
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:55 am

Must have been a SeaParakeets fan...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby awwchrist » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:23 am

SeaWolf wrote:
knapplc wrote:

;-)

Be carefull there are 2 members from the cafe that live in Oregon. NFL Fan and deluxe_247

*cough* :-b
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk