Free or Pay League? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Classifieds

Free or Pay League?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Free or Pay League?

Postby areblues » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:48 pm

Just looking for some feedback. Do the majority of people on here prefer to join a free league or one with an entry fee and payout?
Also, if people want a "free" league, how does the league site hosting fee get paid? Is the commish expected to pay for the league and NOT get compensated for it? That doesn't seem fair.
Any feedback is appreciated as I'm starting my own league, but having trouble getting owners beyond the initial interest email.
areblues
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Verdun Barbarians » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:50 pm

Being a student, I go for free leagues! ;-)
Last edited by Verdun Barbarians on Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Verdun Barbarians
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby CoolNerd » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:08 pm

I play in both types of leagues. Some people feel that pay leagues force people to commit to the league because they have an investment of more than the time it takes to say yes and draft players. Others like the "excitement" of having something on the line.

Free leagues are seldom totally "free." I am in one league where the commish paid the site fee and invited people he trusted and had experience playing with. Despite this we still had two or three people who stopped submitting line-ups. I would recommend not to do this.

In most "free" leagues the players divide up the cost of the site and any awards that you may. Usually this is no more than 10 dollars or so which is not much for a year's worth of entertainment.
CoolNerd
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby dream_017 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:05 am

I have pay league that are local leagues with friends/co-workers. I will not join a pay league with people I do not know(over the internet). I am also in free leagues, mostly here at the cafe, and generally they use the free hosting sites for the league.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:46 pm

I would guess you use Yahoo instead of a pay site. Then if people drop it's not so bad (although it does suck).
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby onnestabe » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:08 pm

dream_017 wrote:I have pay league that are local leagues with friends/co-workers. I will not join a pay league with people I do not know(over the internet). I am also in free leagues, mostly here at the cafe, and generally they use the free hosting sites for the league.

This is my thinking as well.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Re: Free or Pay League?

Postby Arlo » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:31 pm

areblues wrote:Is the commish expected to pay for the league and NOT get compensated for it? That doesn't seem fair.

Well, some commishes like it that way (or perhaps they just don't like the bother of collecting league fees from everyone :-b ). I think the norm, however, is for everyone to pitch in equally.

You'll also find leagues, usually ones where the commish puts in a lot of work, where everyone except the commish pays for the league. A free ride might not be much compared to the hours that some commishes put in, but it can be a nice gesture.

Go with what works. :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Classifieds