A story about rednecks, power lines and a long metal pole. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

A story about rednecks, power lines and a long metal pole.

Moderator: Football Moderators

A story about rednecks, power lines and a long metal pole.

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:11 pm

Seriously, who didn't see something like this happening? :-B

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slu ... &type=lgns

Two fans electrocuted outside Talladega track

April 25, 2006

TALLADEGA, Ala. (AP) -- Two NASCAR fans were electrocuted in a campground outside Talladega Superspeedway when a flagpole they were erecting touched power lines.

Donny Lynn Wright, 42, of Remlap and Keith Alan Stell, 39, of Birmingham died Monday, said track spokeswoman Kristi King. Talladega County Coroner Jerry Castleberry pronounced them dead at the scene.

The Aaron's 499 race will be run at the track on Sunday. Fans commonly use poles to fly flags touting their favorite driver.

Witnesses said Wright and Stell were attempting to anchor a flagpole when it was caught by wind and pushed into power lines running along a road outside the track.

"They were trying to pull the flagpole back off the lines," said James Snider, who was sitting about 30 yards away from the victims' camp site. "I heard a loud pop that sounded like a firecracker, and I went running because the power lines fell. They were both lying on the ground, and two women were trying to get to them to get them away from the wires."
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moonhead » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:19 pm

hmm. can't really call it a sport, but, however it is classified is not the point. it should be outlawed. waste of resources. dangerous. and it would free up more time on tv. oh well. it's not going anywhwere. and that is disappointing.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby knapplc » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:21 pm

Sad. Very sad.

Now their kids will grow up without Uncle Daddy.

All ten of them.

Each.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:49 pm

Well, I can't laugh with you on this one. I do think this is sad and I'm not a NASCAR fan. The wind grabbed the pole and tossed it into the power lines next to the road outside the track. Could have happened to anyone. They were 42 & 39 which means they probably had families. I enjoy poking fun at rednecks as much as the next guy, but I didn't find this funny.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby CC » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:50 pm

moonhead wrote:hmm. can't really call it a sport, but, however it is classified is not the point. it should be outlawed. waste of resources. dangerous. and it would free up more time on tv. oh well. it's not going anywhwere. and that is disappointing.

Seen this somewhere, it's called:

A List of Things More Boring than NASCAR.

Sorry about these guys though.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:56 pm

and another left turn! the atmosphere here is just electric!

oh man that was bad.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jayday » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:30 pm

Hadn't heard about this....It is tragic...Could've happened to anyone....

As for NASCAR itself....
-These engineers/crew chiefs adjusting the car (tire pressure, track bar, wedge, shocks, etc.) would run circles around you guys....So don't act like just anybody can do what they do....These guys are extremely smart....So it isn't just 4 left turns that wins the race...It's who can adjust the car to suit the track the best...A race within a race...
-The pit crews aren't a bunch of beer-swilling, toothless, inbreds....A lot are former college athletes in other sports and are in great physical shape....Think you can change 4 tires and put in 22 gallons of fuel in under 15 seconds?
-The drivers have been known to lose up to 10 pounds in sweat over the course of a race as it often get to well over 110 degrees inside the car....They aren't in there munching on Doritos and drinking Pepsi...They are up on the wheel at break-neck speeds inches from other cars at 200 mph....Try doing that without shitting your pants*....

But whatever, I've probably just wasted a couple minutes....My words aren't going to change how you feel about it.....But I tell everyone to actually attend a race before you dismiss it as boring...

*Oh, and some have been known to do that during the more lengthy races :-b
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby knapplc » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:35 pm

jayday wrote:Hadn't heard about this....It is tragic...Could've happened to anyone....

As for NASCAR itself....
-These engineers/crew chiefs adjusting the car (tire pressure, track bar, wedge, shocks, etc.) would run circles around you guys....So don't act like just anybody can do what they do....These guys are extremely smart....So it isn't just 4 left turns that wins the race...It's who can adjust the car to suit the track the best...A race within a race...
-The pit crews aren't a bunch of beer-swilling, toothless, inbreds....A lot are former college athletes in other sports and are in great physical shape....Think you can change 4 tires and put in 22 gallons of fuel in under 15 seconds?
-The drivers have been known to lose up to 10 pounds in sweat over the course of a race as it often get to well over 110 degrees inside the car....They aren't in there munching on Doritos and drinking Pepsi...They are up on the wheel at break-neck speeds inches from other cars at 200 mph....Try doing that without shitting your pants*....

But whatever, I've probably just wasted a couple minutes....My words aren't going to change how you feel about it.....But I tell everyone to actually attend a race before you dismiss it as boring...

*Oh, and some have been known to do that during the more lengthy races :-b

I'm not going to knock the physical and technical skills of the pit crews and drivers. I think we all know that NASCAR isn't a bunch of guys randomly hitting the accelerator for four hours at a time. The technical skills these people have, from pit crews to drivers, are absolutely astounding.

However, just because I can't do what they can do doesn't mean I can't critique them. I can't go across the middle of an NFL field and catch a 3rd and 8 pass, but I sure can tell you that Keyshawn didn't do it right this time or that time.

What I like to poke fun at are some of the fans who follow NASCAR, just like I like to poke fun at some of the fans who follow certain sports teams.

The "Drivin' Fast, Turnin' Left" crowd just takes it a bit more personally than some others, that's all.

;-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:37 pm

jayday wrote:*Oh, and some have been known to do that during the more lengthy races :-b

:-P :-{ %-6

but my attitude remains :^
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CC » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:07 pm

Sounds like jayday is one of those NASCAR lovers, I remember getting into a heated argument with GP about whether or not it was a sport a year or two ago.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk