To anyone born in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

To anyone born in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mutantseabass » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:03 pm

VaderFin wrote:
The_Captain wrote:
dream_017 wrote:
The_Captain wrote:
knapplc wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I barely fit into this category. I was born in '78.

All you young whippersnappers are making me feel old!!! :-o

How old are you Knapp?

35: from the allergy thread

LOL - I just read that and was gonna correct my post. I've got a couple of years on knapp......

I'm Knapps age so it's good to know The Captain is OLD and we are so young. :-b

Cap is my grandpa!!! :-D

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:08 pm

mutantseabass wrote:
Azrael wrote:No wonder kids are wusses nowadays. They don't do any of that stuff we did.

I have read articles about how the kids have so many allergies now because they are not introduced to things and therefor do not build up immunities to certain things. When i was a kid i dont remember not coming home dirty and sweaty and there was no sanitizer soap or hand sanitizers around. We dropped our gum in the dirt you spit on it and wiped it on your shirt and slapped it back into your mouth.

Yeah, I read an article a while back regarding this. Something about kids not playing outside as much anymore being suseptable (sp?) to allergies (maybe Knapp played indoors too much ;-) ). We spend as much time outside as possible. Not necessarily because of this, but just because it's so much more fun and refreshing.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby TTTBone » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:20 pm

One of my favorite Python sketches:

Four well-dressed men sitting together at a vacation resort. "Farewell to Thee" being played in the background on Hawaiian guitar.

Michael Palin: Ahh.. Very passable, this, very passable.

Graham Chapman: Nothing like a good glass of Chateau de Chassilier wine, ay Gessiah?

Terry Gilliam: You're right there Obediah.

Eric Idle: Who'd a thought thirty years ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Chateau de Chassilier wine?

MP: Aye. In them days, we'd a' been glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.

GC: A cup ' COLD tea.

EI: Without milk or sugar.

TG: OR tea!

MP: In a filthy, cracked cup.

EI: We never used to have a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.

GC: The best WE could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.

TG: But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.

MP: Aye. BECAUSE we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness."

EI: 'E was right. I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'. We used to live in this tiiiny old house, with greaaaaat big holes in the roof.

GC: House? You were lucky to have a HOUSE! We used to live in one room, all hundred and twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!

TG: You were lucky to have a ROOM! We used to have to live in a corridor!

MP: Ohhhh we used to DREAM of livin' in a corridor! Woulda' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woken up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House!? Hmph.

EI: Well when I say "house" it was only a hole in the ground covered by a piece of tarpolin, but it was a house to US.

GC: We were evicted from our hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake!

TG: You were lucky to have a LAKE! There were a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road.

MP: Cardboard box?

TG: Aye.

MP: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

GC: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

TG: Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

EI: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, (pause for laughter), eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

MP: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

ALL: Nope, nope..
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:11 pm

the helmets on bicycles thing really pisses me off to no end...no kid of mine is wearing some lame helmet.

i think all the injury statistics are just proaganda by the helmet manufacturers
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:42 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:the helmets on bicycles thing really pisses me off to no end...no kid of mine is wearing some lame helmet.

i think all the injury statistics are just proaganda by the helmet manufacturers

My kid will wear a helmet until he's much better than he is right now at riding without training wheels. He hits his head enough the way it is, I don't want him crashing his skull on a concrete curb.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Manja » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:40 pm

I'm a 90's kid.. but those things apply to me. And yeah.. Re-runs of Transformers and Thundercats... Voltron.. (Women are like Voltron.. the more you can hook together, the better it gets)..

God, I miss my younger years... Didn't get any better than that.
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to General Talk