A 900 series! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

A 900 series!

Moderator: Football Moderators

A 900 series!

Postby mutantseabass » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:38 pm

This is pretty amazing, i suck at bowling to say the least but this just blows my mind. 8-o

900!
Franklin bowler rolls into history with 36 straight strikes
By TODD ROSIAK
mailto:trosiak@journalsentinel.com
Posted: April 25, 2006

Mark Wukoman was still pinching himself Tuesday.
Advertisement
68847Bowling

Click to enlarge

Photo/Matthew Dick

Mark Wukoman rolled three consecutive 300 games at Classic Lanes in Greenfield to record just the ninth 900 series in the 111-year history of certified league play.
Quotable

The only thought in my head was, believe it or not, 'I better get this one. For me and for everybody else in here, because I'm not going to be the only one that's going to feel bad if I don't get it.' When I released it, it was right solid in the pocket.

- Mark Wukoman,
on what he thought prior to his final strike

And really, who could blame him?

The 50-year-old Franklin resident bowled his way into history Saturday night, rolling three consecutive 300 games at Classic Lanes in Greenfield to record just the ninth 900 series in the 111-year history of certified league play.

Considered the Holy Grail of individual feats in bowling, Wukoman's 900 series came in the Saturday Night Special Men's League, one he took part in as a part-time player for the season.

The drama unfolded in front of roughly 100 other bowlers, all of whom stopped in the midst of their games once news of the series spread, and ended with Wukoman collapsing in a heap on the floor, overcome by what he'd just accomplished.

"I've been bowling for 40 years now, and I know the lanes change and the chances of getting tapped or leaving a single pin, it just happens," he said. "There's no way you're ever going to strike 36 times in a row - supposedly - because it happens so infrequently. Something like that, you never think about."

Using an AMF Radar ball he played with for the first time earlier in the week in the USBC Open in Corpus Christi, Texas, Wukoman finished his warm-ups Saturday by throwing seven consecutive strikes.

He opened play with one perfect game and then followed with his second, all the while trying to maintain his focus as the interest grew in what was transpiring on Lanes 5 and 6.

His teammates, meanwhile, left him alone, much as a pitcher's teammates might in the midst of a no-hitter in baseball.

"When I threw a strike I would sit down in the telescore area there and wouldn't talk to anybody, wouldn't watch anybody. I would just stare straight ahead and then bowl," Wukoman said. "After the second (300), people started to notice a little bit, but still I had that same mind-set. I was just going out there and trying to throw the ball the same way every time."

After his second 300, Wukoman's next goal was to better his wife's 836 series, which was 11 pins better than his all-time high.

Margie Morrow-Wukoman, a member of both the Wisconsin Women's Bowling Association and Milwaukee Women's Bowling Association Hall of Fame, is regarded as one of the top dozen or so female bowlers in the state.

"I'm thinking to myself, 'Hmm, I've got a good shot at beating her. All I need is a 237,'" said Wukoman, a self-employed painting contractor. "So I got the first six or seven in a row and kind of pumped my fist up a little bit because I knew I beat her. Nobody knew what that was all about. But then I decided, 'I better focus on this now. I got the first seven. This is the last game.'"

With everyone now watching and roaring with each strike, Wukoman finally found himself on the precipice of a once-in-a-lifetime achievement.

"The only thought in my head was, believe it or not, 'I better get this one. For me and for everybody else in here, because I'm not going to be the only one that's going to feel bad if I don't get it,'" he said. "When I released it, it was right solid in the pocket."

And with that final strike, the place went up. Wukoman, meanwhile, went down.

"I couldn't move. I just laid right on the approach," he said. "They kind of picked me up, and everybody else started clapping and high-fiving. It was pretty extraordinary. I did not want to get up. I just wanted to lay there. I couldn't believe what happened."
His wife didn't believe it

Not long thereafter, Wukoman placed a call to his wife.

"When he called me I was working in the yard and I didn't believe it. I thought the guys were playing a joke on me," Margie Morrow-Wukoman said. "Then I called back again and told him to put one of his teammates on, and he said, 'No, really, it's true.' I could hear the people in the background. Then I knew it was legit.

"But to be on the safe side I said, 'Bring me a score sheet home.'"

Wukoman, who has 18 perfect games to his credit, will wait for the United States Bowling Congress to verify his 900 series, a mere formality considering it was accomplished in a sanctioned league and in front of plenty of witnesses.

In the days since, Wukoman has tried to get back to everyday life. But considering the magnitude of his achievement, it hasn't been easy.

"You think of the millions of bowlers that have bowled over how many decades that have ever had a shot at 900, or anything close to it, and I was just one of the lucky ones to do it," Wukoman said. "I feel like somebody either was looking down on me or I'm special."

Interestingly, Wukoman's 900 series was the second to be rolled at Classic Lanes, making it the only house to have played host to two by two different bowlers.

In 1998, Tony Roventini accomplished the feat.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=418751

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 1crzydmnd » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:40 pm

Impressive.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Confucius' redneck brother
1crzydmnd
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 19)

Postby logan » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:43 pm

that is pretty amazing.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:45 pm

2 900 series out of 9 in the history of the game in the same bowley alley?

Those lanes have to be juiced.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby The_Captain » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:01 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:2 900 series out of 9 in the history of the game in the same bowley alley?

Those lanes have to be juiced.

Or do we travel down the road and say his balls were juiced?

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:03 pm

That's amazing man. Been awhile since I was in a bowling league, but 258 was the best I could muster up. (Game, not series :-b ). 900 series? Jeez. That's awesome.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:17 pm

My high score ever is 159. We bowled for the first time in five years about a month ago. Three of us were doing "speed bowling" where you just pick up the ball and chuck it down the lane as fast as the ball comes back and the pins get set up - I got a 144 doing that.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:18 pm

knapplc wrote:"speed bowling"

Nice! The old "if you don't get a strike you aren't throwing it hard enough" logic. :-b
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to General Talk