The nuances of a legal career and the Cleveland Browns - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

The nuances of a legal career and the Cleveland Browns

Moderator: Football Moderators

The nuances of a legal career and the Cleveland Browns

Postby The Balanced Man » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:41 pm

In the legal field, it is all about who you know; it may even be more important than what you know and your experiences.

Being a labor attorney, my end goal, though I may never accomplish it, is to be an attorney for an NFL team, the NFL itself, or possibly the players union.

To get one’s foot in the door there is much harder than one might think though…

Anyway, the best way to get your foot in the door at a firm/office is to be a law clerk there. These jobs are often offered to law students through the law schools career planning office.

Due to the crappy economy while I was in school, we received job postings like this:
Supreme Court of the Republic of Ghana seeks Legal Intern. Compensation: $200 travel stipend. Please send a resume and writing sample to……….
(before you accuse me of exaggerating, this was an actual job post. A professor from my school was appointed to the Supreme Court of the Republic of Ghana, hence the job posting. However, a stipend that doesn’t cover a plane ticket and having to pay your own way to work in Africa for free didn’t seem to appealing. Not to mention, who’d wanna keep working there after school?)

But the lucky freaking law students nowadays get this job shot to them over the wire:

Summer Law Clerk- Cleveland Browns - Berea, OH
A summer clerking opportunity exists for a first- or second-year law student interested in pursuing a career in sports law to assist in-house counsel in all legal facets of business activities. Interested candidates should have an excellent academic record and excellent writing and communication skills. Writing sample requested. Qualified candidates should submit resumes to the Career Planning Office. Start date would be the last week of May or first week of June 2006.

Send resume and cover letter to:

Linda Maiorana, HR Coordinator
The Cleveland Browns
76 Lou Groza Blvd.
Berea, OH 44017
mailto:LMaiorana@clevelandbrowns.com

Deadline: May 12, 2006

They even get a SALARY!

I officially hate all law students. :-# :-# :-#
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:44 pm

I think you should go for it! Just explain to Mrs. Balanced that, while it may be a significant drop from your current salary, it'll make you so much happier at home. ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to General Talk