Bass Guitar - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Bass Guitar

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bass Guitar

Postby Dirt Bag » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:15 pm

I'm going to try and pick up Bass Guitar this summer.

I haven't ever done guitar i've messed with my brothers electric but never known how to play. I was just wondering if any of you guys knew some stuff about this and where i should start or things like

*What brand of guitar to get.
    *Where to get one (local store? online?).
    *Used or New?
    *Info Sites where I could learn a few things about it ahead of time.
    *Sites with songs i could learn or simple online lessons.
Dirt Bag
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Popcynical » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:14 pm

My friend has a Bass named Javier.

I've heard great things about Ibanez basses.
Try Musicians Friend (online or the magazine).. or just got to a local guitar shop.
I'd buy New.
Once you learn how to play tabs, this site will be your best friend.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:25 pm

I play guitar. Well, I haven't played in a while, but I was in a band a few years ago. I'm one of the few that found the transition from guitar to bass difficult. I have small hands, but that shouldn't matter, I just couldn't get it. Best advice I can give you is to be patient. Sounds stupid I know, but you wait. You're going to want to throw that bass across the room in no time. :-b
What style were you looking to get into? I don't know much about bass, but most guitar centers have guys that can direct you in the right direction as to a video or a good book. The best way is live lessons or having a friend to teach you. I never had a teacher for guitar. I had friends show me some things, but for the most part taught myself. You learn some bad habits that way. Stick to your lessons and learn the notes. I don't know notes, I just play, and it bothers other players sometimes when they ask you to play a note and you ignorantly ask them what chord that is.
A bassist I used to play with told me he learned from a really cheesy video. The guy on the video just showed him what to play and played along with him and eventually, after watching it about 100 times, he said he learned enough to get some confidence. Like I said, patience.
You have to have strong fingers with either guitar or bass, but especially with bass. Get one of those finger-strengtheners (whatever they call them). I have one that has the individual points for the fingers and that will help you strengthen your fingers and hand.
Ultimately it's all about comfort. You'll feel very awkward for a while, but eventually it'll feel right.
It's a fun instrument, but realize your role if you join a band. We had a few guys who basically wanted to put in bass solos in every song and it doesn't work that way with most bands. Every member has his role in a band.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:31 pm

Popcynical wrote:My friend has a Bass named Javier.

I've heard great things about Ibanez basses.
Try Musicians Friend (online or the magazine).. or just got to a local guitar shop.
I'd buy New.
Once you learn how to play tabs, this site will be your best friend.

Definitely suggest the shop over the magazine, unless you're just buying a pedal or something. Go to a shop and make a complete fool out of yourself, seriously. Go in there, grab a bass, cable and amp and go to town. If it sounds good to you, buy it.
One of my guitars is an Ibanez. Good metal sound as far as guitar but I prefer my Fender for clarity. Not sure if that goes for bass, but I've heard nice things about Ibanez basses.
One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post. Don't spend a lot of money. If you spring for expensive equipment then come to find out you hate it, you could be out for hundreds, if not thousands of dollars. Get relatively cheap equipment to start off with. If you enjoy it, upgrade.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby PACKman1144 » Mon May 01, 2006 8:08 pm

I play the bass, have a peavey, its good for what I need it for. I would recommend you go to the store a play one, see how it feels/sounds, but you don't need a nice one as a beginner. But definately go to a store and play one before you buy. YOu can then go online and see if you can get it cheaper.

http://www.music123.com is a nice site to go online

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com has a lot of tabs, I use that site for tabs

You could get a book and that'll teach you the basics, thats what I did.

But really all I think you need is a beginner bass, just find which one you like. You can upgrade later, but when you start you will hardly hear/feel a difference between a nice bass and a beginner bass
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby olympia0731 » Mon May 01, 2006 9:30 pm

I play jazz piano and let me just say that Bass is a hell of a hard thing too play.

Good luck man. ;-D
olympia0731
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Popcynical » Tue May 02, 2006 12:03 am

olympia0731 wrote:I play jazz piano and let me just say that Bass is a hell of a hard thing too play.

Good luck man. ;-D

Haha that seems a bit backwards.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Santacruzer » Tue May 02, 2006 1:54 am

Definitely go to some of the shops and play around with what they have there. On top of "feeling" what you like, they can give you tips, buying info, and even deals while you are there.

The one thing I have to disagree with some of the previous posts is, don't go too cheap. That is probably one of the biggest things that can turn off potential Guitar and Bass players from playing. If you can "never get things to sound right", or "it is very uncomfortable to play", why would you continue, right?

I am not saying that you need to go out and spend $1500, but just make sure what you do buy feels good and comfortable. And yes, there are some great bargains out there. My expertise is with Guitars, but Yamaha makes some very good entry level guitars, at good prices. I would think that their bass' would be along the same lines. If I had to choose myself, I would prefer a Fender. But just notice that all Fender's are not created equal. Some are made in China, then some in Mexico, in Japan, and for the most part the best one's are made in the USA. Squier is the lower end of Fender BTW.

So don't "cheap out", but don't go too crazy until you know that you are serious. Comfort is key. Your fingers will naturally hurt when starting out, but you will save yourself a ton of pain and aggravation by trying some out and buying for comfort.

Enjoy!!
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue May 02, 2006 7:43 am

I have just seen so many enthusiastic beginners buy nice equipment, then realizing how much hard work it is, and never picking up their expensive guitar again. I started on acoustic, got comfortable, then got one of those expensive guitars that a friend never played (as aforementioned) and never stopped playing...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby jayday » Tue May 02, 2006 8:29 am

Ron Burgundy wrote:I've dabbled in some jazz flute

:-D
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Next

Return to General Talk