Bass Guitar - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Bass Guitar

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Santacruzer » Tue May 02, 2006 8:50 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I have just seen so many enthusiastic beginners buy nice equipment, then realizing how much hard work it is, and never picking up their expensive guitar again. I started on acoustic, got comfortable, then got one of those expensive guitars that a friend never played (as aforementioned) and never stopped playing...

So true, but what I was saying was just don't go toooo cheap.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue May 02, 2006 8:55 am

Santacruzer wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I have just seen so many enthusiastic beginners buy nice equipment, then realizing how much hard work it is, and never picking up their expensive guitar again. I started on acoustic, got comfortable, then got one of those expensive guitars that a friend never played (as aforementioned) and never stopped playing...

I can't stand those First Act (I think that's what they're called) and other 'packages' that include a cheap guitar, amp, strap, cable, picks, tuner, etc.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Santacruzer » Tue May 02, 2006 9:17 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Santacruzer wrote:

I can't stand those First Act (I think that's what they're called) and other 'packages' that include a cheap guitar, amp, strap, cable, picks, tuner, etc.

:-b My favorite part of those is the Picks!! Wow! I got a free pick with this set!!!! :-b

Whatever you do, don't buy a Bass from a place like Walmart!!!
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue May 02, 2006 10:19 am

PACKman1144 wrote:I play the bass, have a peavey, its good for what I need it for. I would recommend you go to the store a play one, see how it feels/sounds, but you don't need a nice one as a beginner. But definately go to a store and play one before you buy. YOu can then go online and see if you can get it cheaper.

http://www.music123.com is a nice site to go online

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com has a lot of tabs, I use that site for tabs

You could get a book and that'll teach you the basics, thats what I did.

But really all I think you need is a beginner bass, just find which one you like. You can upgrade later, but when you start you will hardly hear/feel a difference between a nice bass and a beginner bass

This is right on the money. I played guitar in a band for about 10 years, and my first guitar was a hand-me-down Lotus (Fender Strat Copy) that cost 65 bucks new. It had horrible action and weighed like 30 lbs, but it was the best guitar I ever could have learned on. The high action built up strength and callouses so my fingers were ready to fly when I bought my Ibanez, which all you had to do was breathe hard on it to make it play. And the weight difference, that was phenomenal not to have to lug that monster around the stage at 1st Ave or the Riviera, where you had room to run. Also there is the disinterest/lack of talent issue. If you decide after a month of playing that you just can't get even the basics, or grow bored of it, do you want to have wasted 5-600 clams on a semi-decent guitar? Of course you don't. Believe me, resale on guitars are terrible. Just get yourself something that is playable, and doesn't have too much of a fret buzz on the clean channel (you'll know the sound when you hear it) and you'll be okay long enough to decide if you want to pursue it. I'd say start with less than $150 if you can. Good luck! ;-D
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Dirt Bag » Tue May 02, 2006 3:05 pm

Looking through some sites im seeing 4-6 string bass guitars any idea on the biggest differences or which one would be easier for a beginner or just which one is the best?
Dirt Bag
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue May 02, 2006 3:26 pm

Dirt Bag wrote:Looking through some sites im seeing 4-6 string bass guitars any idea on the biggest differences or which one would be easier for a beginner or just which one is the best?

A basic bass has 4 strings, but for more range you can get 6. Don't get to fancy. Stick with a 4 string for now. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby moonhead » Tue May 02, 2006 3:26 pm

Dirt Bag wrote:Looking through some sites im seeing 4-6 string bass guitars any idea on the biggest differences or which one would be easier for a beginner or just which one is the best?

the less strings the better for a beginner.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Dirt Bag » Tue May 02, 2006 4:02 pm

Aight i kinda figured a 4 string would be would i'd get just had to check on that..
Dirt Bag
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby pdub » Tue May 02, 2006 6:05 pm

don't ever buy a bass with more than 4 strings.

ever.

fender makes the best bass. i suggest a p-bass, but the jazz bass isn't too bad either. you can get a nice fender p-bass for about 400 bucks. thats what i started out on. if you can't afford that, try and grab a squire- basically a cheap fender. but really just buying the mexican made fender for around 400 bucks is the way to go if you're serious about it. it'll still have value if it doesn't work out and you want to sell it.

i suggest picking out a couple scales (major, minor, blues) and just running through them until you get the hang of it. it takes a bit of patience, but in all honesty, with bass either you have it or you don't. good luck.
pdub
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Vikes Rule 88 » Tue May 02, 2006 6:24 pm

Musician's Friend is a great place, but really, if there's one near you goto Guitar Center.

I bought my guitar online from MF for a good price, and I got lucky. My guitar has great action and pretty decent pick-ups.

Really though, it's all about how much you want to spend.

"I'll tell you right now, for your first 4-8 months, practicing 1 hour a day, you'll barely be able to play songs. Yeah... it's not hard rock. Don't expect to be playing amazing in a couple of months. Don't expect to be in a couple of years.

This is good news though. It means you DON'T need a really good, really expensive bass to start with. You can get by on a $100 dollar piece of crap, then if you're still playing it 6 months later, you can buy a real bass and start playing seriously."

That was the advice I was given before buying a guitar. I probably practice 2 hours a day on it, but hell, I love it.

I would suggest a Bass like this:

Bass
Amp

Then buy some picks, strap, and a cord.

If you're gunna spend more money, get a $200 bass and $70 amp

At least that's what I think ;-D

need a sig? PM me
Vikes Rule 88 Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext