Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Golddigger - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Golddigger

Moderator: Football Moderators

Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Golddigger

Postby knapplc » Mon May 01, 2006 10:28 am

WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court ruled Monday that one-time stripper and Playboy Playmate Anna Nicole Smith could pursue part of her late husband's oil fortune.

Justices gave new legal impetus to Smith's bid to collect millions of dollars from the estate of J. Howard Marshall II. Her late husband's estate has been estimated at as much as $1.6 billion.

Smith has been embroiled in a long running cross-country court fight with Marshall's youngest son, E. Pierce Marshall. The court's decision, which was unanimous, means that it will not end anytime soon.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, writing for the court, said Smith should have a fresh chance to pursue claims in federal court.

Smith's case had brought unusual drama to the normally sedate high court.

Dressed in all black, the former stripper wept in the courtroom in late February as justices discussed Marshall and whether he had intended to provide for her in death. When she arrived at the court, several photographers were knocked to the ground in a scuffle to photograph her.


I can't believe this train wreck of a woman is about to be a multi-millionaire.

She'll squander it all and be back to pole dancing in five years.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Postby dream_017 » Mon May 01, 2006 10:44 am

Maybe she'll use the money to buy food and blow up to be a cow again

Image
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15301
(Past Year: 58)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Re: Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Golddigger

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon May 01, 2006 11:47 am

knapplc wrote:
WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court ruled Monday that one-time stripper and Playboy Playmate Anna Nicole Smith could pursue part of her late husband's oil fortune.

Justices gave new legal impetus to Smith's bid to collect millions of dollars from the estate of J. Howard Marshall II. Her late husband's estate has been estimated at as much as $1.6 billion.

Smith has been embroiled in a long running cross-country court fight with Marshall's youngest son, E. Pierce Marshall. The court's decision, which was unanimous, means that it will not end anytime soon.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, writing for the court, said Smith should have a fresh chance to pursue claims in federal court.

Smith's case had brought unusual drama to the normally sedate high court.

Dressed in all black, the former stripper wept in the courtroom in late February as justices discussed Marshall and whether he had intended to provide for her in death. When she arrived at the court, several photographers were knocked to the ground in a scuffle to photograph her.


I can't believe this train wreck of a woman is about to be a multi-millionaire.

She'll squander it all and be back to pole dancing in five years.


Author really wanted readers to know that she used to be a stripper. Actually, I didn't know that, I just knew she had posed in Playboy. I don't know any of the legal proceedings that took place during the trial, but I am disappointed that she is still making headlines.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Golddigger

Postby knapplc » Mon May 01, 2006 12:12 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
knapplc wrote:
WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court ruled Monday that one-time stripper and Playboy Playmate Anna Nicole Smith could pursue part of her late husband's oil fortune.

Justices gave new legal impetus to Smith's bid to collect millions of dollars from the estate of J. Howard Marshall II. Her late husband's estate has been estimated at as much as $1.6 billion.

Smith has been embroiled in a long running cross-country court fight with Marshall's youngest son, E. Pierce Marshall. The court's decision, which was unanimous, means that it will not end anytime soon.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, writing for the court, said Smith should have a fresh chance to pursue claims in federal court.

Smith's case had brought unusual drama to the normally sedate high court.

Dressed in all black, the former stripper wept in the courtroom in late February as justices discussed Marshall and whether he had intended to provide for her in death. When she arrived at the court, several photographers were knocked to the ground in a scuffle to photograph her.


I can't believe this train wreck of a woman is about to be a multi-millionaire.

She'll squander it all and be back to pole dancing in five years.


Author really wanted readers to know that she used to be a stripper. Actually, I didn't know that, I just knew she had posed in Playboy. I don't know any of the legal proceedings that took place during the trial, but I am disappointed that she is still making headlines.


Yeah, I caught the stripper references right away, too. If he had called her that one more time in the article I probably would have highlighted them and mentioned it.

Does it really matter at this point that she was a stripper 15 years ago? Everyone knows her from Playboy, not stripping.

The author of this article is a loser.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Postby 1crzydmnd » Mon May 01, 2006 1:01 pm

dream_017 wrote:Maybe she'll use the money to buy food and blow up to be a cow again



I think that should read "Maybe she'll use the money to buy blow and continue to be a cow.".
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Confucius' redneck brother
1crzydmnd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2302
(Past Year: 19)
Joined: 15 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Memphis, TN...watching the games with Elvis

Postby The_Dude » Wed May 03, 2006 10:57 am

I'm trying to figure out what this tells us about the new Roberts Supreme Court.
Image

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Posts: 3481
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 14 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby knapplc » Wed May 03, 2006 11:02 am

The_Dude wrote:I'm trying to figure out what this tells us about the new Roberts Supreme Court.



That they're Super-Cool and we're in better hands now that those Liberal Wackos aren't in the Majority? :-?

That's what you're getting at, right? ;-)


:-D


You know I kid because I love.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Postby The_Dude » Wed May 03, 2006 11:50 am

knapplc wrote:
The_Dude wrote:I'm trying to figure out what this tells us about the new Roberts Supreme Court.



That they're Super-Cool and we're in better hands now that those Liberal Wackos aren't in the Majority? :-?

That's what you're getting at, right? ;-)


:-D


You know I kid because I love.


Oooh, you are sly, Mr. Knapp - I bet you investigate workplace harassment claims for a living or something. :-B

Maybe John Roberts just likes strippers?

Actually, I think it was a unanimous decision - just maybe not one I would have expected. The big winner here is Anna's lawyer, who attached himself to this gravy train awhile ago, and has basically staked his livelihood on his commission from Anna winning this case in the long run.
Image

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Posts: 3481
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 14 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby The Balanced Man » Wed May 03, 2006 11:53 am

I think there were just no real issues to discuss here if what I know about the case is right.

I think lawyering is the only thing that got it this far.

I mean, when was the last time the Supreme Court decided a will dispute?
Image
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6209
Joined: 20 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On my Ipod Touch

Postby The Balanced Man » Mon May 08, 2006 11:24 am

To those who care, I read the opinion in this case, and can explain what actually happened. Believe it or not, there is a lot of interesting legal rules that came out of this case...

When the old guy died his will went to state probate court. It left everything to ANS. The Son raised a fuss at state probate court, and got the money to go to him. Eventually, ANS tried, but could not get the money though state courts.

At that point, ANS (this is genius by her lawyers) filed for bankruptcy, which is federal court. With her bankruptcy she filed a claim against the Son for Malicious Interference with her Inheritance. The jury on the “Malicious Interference with Inheritance” claim awarded her approximately $88 million to be paid by the Son.

The Son then appealed that judgment, saying that the federal Court was wrong in hearing the “Malicious Interference with Inheritance” claim. The Son said that only the Original State Probate Court could hear the claim. Hence, the son said that the judgement was null and void since it was from the wrong court.

So what the Supreme Court decided wasn’t whether ANS should get money.

The Supreme Court decided whether a “Malicious Interference with Inheritance” is a “Probate” claim or a different type of claim (called a Tort). This “Tort” is allowed to be brought in federal court, not probate.

The Supreme Court said that it was a “Tort,” hence it could be brought in federal court, and did not have to be in Probate Court as Son said it did.


So in the end, Son got the inheritance, but ANS got a $88 million dollar judgment against him.


I’m sure that was way more than anyone wanted to know. I found this fascinating. Sorry to bore all of you.
Image
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6209
Joined: 20 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On my Ipod Touch

Next

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 21:21 hours
(and 44 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact