Our Geographically Challenged Society - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Our Geographically Challenged Society

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby moonhead » Tue May 02, 2006 4:54 pm

what's a louisiana?
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Re: Our Geographically Challenged Society

Postby Atog » Tue May 02, 2006 4:55 pm

• Six in 10 did not know the border between North and South Korea is the most heavily fortified in the world.

That's dumb. There are plenty of other fortified borders-
Iraq/Iran
Israel/All border nations
Almost any African nation/Almost any African nation.

I suppose that RoK and DPRK have the "most heavily fortified border" because they've put the most money into it. But people shouldn't be punished because there are plenty of other good options. It's kind of like if somebody were to answer "Detroit" as Michigan's capital. It's wrong, but you're not stupid for guessing "Detroit".
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby PackerAttack84 » Tue May 02, 2006 7:42 pm

mysticphysh wrote:Yeah most of that you learn in 3rd grade. Only one stumps me...

Is arabic the mostly widely spoken or Chinese?

I'm pretty sure it's Mandarin (not sure on spelling) Chinese.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue May 02, 2006 7:53 pm

I find it ironic (in regard to the immigration situation right now) that people trying to gain citizenship legally need to know more about our country than some of those who have families that have been here for centuries. :-[
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Popcynical » Tue May 02, 2006 8:00 pm

HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS DEMAND WARS
IN EASIER-TO-FIND COUNTRIES

A delegation of American high school students today demanded the United States stop waging war in obscure nations such as Afghanistan, Kuwait, and Bosnia-Herzegovina, and instead attack places they've actually heard of, such as France, Australia, and Austria, unless, they said, those last two are the same country.

"People claim we don't know as much geography as our parents and grandparents, but it's so not our fault," Josh Beldoni, a senior at Fischer High School in Los Angeles, told the Senate Armed Services Committee. "Back then they only had wars in, like, Germany and England, but we're supposed to know about places like Somalia and Massachusetts."

"Macedonia," corrected committee Chairman Carl Levin of Michigan.

"See?" said Beldoni.

Beldoni's frustration was shared by nearly three dozen students at the hearing, who blamed the U.S. military for making them look bad.

"I totally support our soldiers and all that, but I am seriously failing both geography and social studies because I keep getting asked to find Croatia or Yemvrekia, or whatever bizarre-o country we send troops to," said Amelia Nash, a junior at Clark High School in Orlando, Fla. "Can't we fight in, like, Italy? It's boot-shaped."

Chairman Levin however, explained that Italy was a U.S. ally, and that intervention is usually in response to a specific threat.

"OK, what about Arulco?" interrupted Tyler Boone, a senior at Bellevue High School in Wisconsin. "That's a country in Jagged Alliance 2 run by the evil Queen Deidranna. I'm totally familiar with that place. She's a major threat."

"Jagged...?" said Levin.

"Alliance. It's a computer game."

"Well, no," Levin answered. "We can't attack a fictional country."

"Yeah right," Boone mumbled. "Like Grenada was real."

The students' testimony was supported by a cross-section of high school geography teachers, who urged the committee to help lay a solid foundation for America's young people by curtailing any intervention abroad.

"Since the anti-terror war began, most of my students can now point to Afghanistan on a map, which is fine, but those same kids still don't know the capitals of Nevada and Ohio," said Richard Gerber, who teaches at Rhymony High School in Atlanta. "I think we need to cut back on our activities overseas and take care of business at home, and if that means invading Tallahassee (Fla.) or Trenton (N.J.) so that students learn where they are, so be it."

"I've always wanted to stick it to Hartford (Conn.)," said Sen. Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island. "Oh ****, is my microphone on?"

The hearing adjourned after six hours. An estimated 2,000 more students were expected to hold a march in the nation's capital, but forgot which city it was in.

Source
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Slingblade » Tue May 02, 2006 8:29 pm

Popcynical wrote:HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS DEMAND WARS
IN EASIER-TO-FIND COUNTRIES

A delegation of American high school students today demanded the United States stop waging war in obscure nations such as Afghanistan, Kuwait, and Bosnia-Herzegovina, and instead attack places they've actually heard of, such as France, Australia, and Austria, unless, they said, those last two are the same country.

"People claim we don't know as much geography as our parents and grandparents, but it's so not our fault," Josh Beldoni, a senior at Fischer High School in Los Angeles, told the Senate Armed Services Committee. "Back then they only had wars in, like, Germany and England, but we're supposed to know about places like Somalia and Massachusetts."

"Macedonia," corrected committee Chairman Carl Levin of Michigan.

"See?" said Beldoni.

Beldoni's frustration was shared by nearly three dozen students at the hearing, who blamed the U.S. military for making them look bad.

"I totally support our soldiers and all that, but I am seriously failing both geography and social studies because I keep getting asked to find Croatia or Yemvrekia, or whatever bizarre-o country we send troops to," said Amelia Nash, a junior at Clark High School in Orlando, Fla. "Can't we fight in, like, Italy? It's boot-shaped."

Chairman Levin however, explained that Italy was a U.S. ally, and that intervention is usually in response to a specific threat.

"OK, what about Arulco?" interrupted Tyler Boone, a senior at Bellevue High School in Wisconsin. "That's a country in Jagged Alliance 2 run by the evil Queen Deidranna. I'm totally familiar with that place. She's a major threat."

"Jagged...?" said Levin.

"Alliance. It's a computer game."

"Well, no," Levin answered. "We can't attack a fictional country."

"Yeah right," Boone mumbled. "Like Grenada was real."

The students' testimony was supported by a cross-section of high school geography teachers, who urged the committee to help lay a solid foundation for America's young people by curtailing any intervention abroad.

"Since the anti-terror war began, most of my students can now point to Afghanistan on a map, which is fine, but those same kids still don't know the capitals of Nevada and Ohio," said Richard Gerber, who teaches at Rhymony High School in Atlanta. "I think we need to cut back on our activities overseas and take care of business at home, and if that means invading Tallahassee (Fla.) or Trenton (N.J.) so that students learn where they are, so be it."

"I've always wanted to stick it to Hartford (Conn.)," said Sen. Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island. "Oh ****, is my microphone on?"

The hearing adjourned after six hours. An estimated 2,000 more students were expected to hold a march in the nation's capital, but forgot which city it was in.

Source

Lmao :-D :-D

Anyways, back to the original post. It doesn't bother me about the idiots who can't identify countries and what not. As for our education system...most kids just don't care, which is fine. The world has to get its burger flippers somewhere.
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby knapplc » Tue May 02, 2006 8:53 pm

Slingblade wrote:
Anyways, back to the original post. It doesn't bother me about the idiots who can't identify countries and what not. As for our education system...most kids just don't care, which is fine. The world has to get its burger flippers somewhere.

What concerns me is that too many kids will think that, and turn out to be adults who think that, and then we're a country whose majority is too dumb or too ill-educated to care what's happening and then we end up with a government who really doesn't represent us, makes poor decisions and generally leads the country into chaos...........................

Oh.....

Crap!

It's happened!!! 8-o

:-D

j/k

but only a little! 8-o
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Tiki » Tue May 02, 2006 9:39 pm

The USA geo. I don't see how you can get that wrong. But, as a world, I couldn't answer some of those. :-/
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue May 02, 2006 10:37 pm

knapplc wrote:
Slingblade wrote:

What concerns me is that too many kids will think that, and turn out to be adults who think that, and then we're a country whose majority is too dumb or too ill-educated to care what's happening and then we end up with a government who really doesn't represent us, makes poor decisions and generally leads the country into chaos...........................

Oh.....

Crap!

It's happened!!! 8-o

:-D

j/k

but only a little! 8-o

Exactly. The problem with these uneducated few, is they still have the right to vote. I would rather have an individual who completely disagreed with me, but still knew his candidate, vote, then to have someone completely ignorant step into a booth.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Slingblade » Tue May 02, 2006 11:19 pm

I don't see the deal with people knowing who to vote for and being too ignorant.

You're going to be voting in a liar and a crook no matter what.
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk