uggh, a sad day in a high school mind - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

uggh, a sad day in a high school mind

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Tiki » Thu May 04, 2006 9:06 pm

mutantseabass wrote:Man when i was in school we never had pop machines. We couldnt even bring pop to school in our lunches if you brought one. I cant see what a pop machine would be doing in school. You really need pop to learn? Try the water fountain, it always worked for me in school. Kids are lazy slobs now :-t
....Ignorance is bliss...
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Canacuna » Thu May 04, 2006 10:01 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:Yeah, good for schools...of course I'm sure this just means the kids will bring pop from home and cost their parents more cash. :-/

Not that I needed it, but I lost like 2 pounds since I stopped drinking pop and basically switched to water/milk/juice. My best friend lost like 5. We both run quite a bit too. Sure, it might not be because of the pop, but it seemed weird how it happened after we got rid of it. It's crazy how just eliminating the sugar and garbage in pop can help you out. ;-D

Yeah, my cousin said that she lost about ten pounds after quitting drinkin' pop.

I should probably quit... but eh, I dig pop with my lunch, dammit.

This wouldn't have mattered to me, though. My buddies and me always left campus during lunch anyway back in HS.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby mutantseabass » Thu May 04, 2006 10:28 pm

awwchrist wrote:
mutantseabass wrote:. Kids are lazy slobs now :-t

Indeed.

And apples don't fall far from the trees.

/Although those fatties wouldn't eat the apple anyhow. Fruit :-P

LOL.

There are some kids in my neighborhood that im sure have never seen an apple that wasnt dripping in caramel, and your right the parents are slobs too.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Thu May 04, 2006 10:33 pm

Tiki wrote:
mutantseabass wrote:Man when i was in school we never had pop machines. We couldnt even bring pop to school in our lunches if you brought one. I cant see what a pop machine would be doing in school. You really need pop to learn? Try the water fountain, it always worked for me in school. Kids are lazy slobs now :-t

So im ignorant for drinking water?? You just proved my point.
You think the kids now are in great shape??!!! Kids now dont do anything they dont have to outside. Its all about video games and computers.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Thu May 04, 2006 11:09 pm

Tiki wrote:
disgruntledjetsfan wrote:This doesn't pertain to the topic, but I'm happy to say that I have exactly two days left in my high school career. B-)
Congratz man! I almost got three under my belt! F junior year! I hate it...As for pop in the school doesn't effect me, I got to a private school! ;-D

thanks, i hate high school and am glad that tomorrow (i guess at this point it is today) is my last day of high school classes, ever. It's not that high school wasn't fun, its just that there are too many restrictions and not enough independence. So I'm happy that in 3 1/2 months I'll be off to college ;-D
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby skibrett15 » Thu May 04, 2006 11:22 pm

mutantseabass wrote:
Tiki wrote:

You think the kids now are in great shape??!!! Kids now dont do anything they dont have to outside. Its all about video games and computers.

actually, you're ignorant because you never had soda as a kid and so you didn't get hooked on it. Tiki is lamenting the fact that he ever got hooked on pop in the first place. It's not a perfect usage of the word ignorant, so I'm sure you just "misunderestimated" him. If anything, you're ignorant for not understanding what the phrase "ignorance is bliss" means.
This thread could get ugly pretty quickly. I think I'm at the age where I still remember hating teachers and parents and their "rules", but also at the age where I understand the reasoning behind those rules. MSB and Aww can rag on kids all they want and I'm not gonna stop them, but it seems a bit juvenile to cast such sweeping generalizations. There's such a thing as ageism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ageism
Now you know... And Knowledge is Power! ;-D
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby maddog60 » Fri May 05, 2006 12:41 am

Just my personal input from reading most of the posts on this thread.

Are kids these days lazy and out of shape? Probably a bit more than recent generations.
Will eliminating soda from schools solve the problem? Not a chance.

This whole laziness is a mindset. Kids arent fat because they have access to soda. They're fat because they don't know how to manage their health. They don't have the instinct to counteract their splurging. If they eat/drink too much sugar, carbohydrates, they don't make it a priority to burn at least some of that energy. Some kids do, but not enough. Getting rid of sodas in school will not change these bad habits though.

Its much like the other things we prohibit with kids. If they really want something they're told they can't have, they'll find a way to get it. Much better to teach them how to act like a responsible adult so that they dont overuse well just about anything from sweets and soda to alcohol.

This just seems like another quick fix that looks good on paper, will make the parents cheer, and support the !@#$'s who initiated it, and in the end resolve absolutely nothing.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri May 05, 2006 8:01 am

To be fair, I think soda is just like anything else. Anything used excessively isn't good for you.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby moonhead » Fri May 05, 2006 11:18 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:To be fair, I think soda is just like anything else. Anything used excessively isn't good for you.

except for pot. ;-7
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby onnestabe » Fri May 05, 2006 12:02 pm

skibrett15 wrote:
mutantseabass wrote:
Tiki wrote:

actually, you're ignorant because you never had soda as a kid and so you didn't get hooked on it. Tiki is lamenting the fact that he ever got hooked on pop in the first place. It's not a perfect usage of the word ignorant, so I'm sure you just "misunderestimated" him. If anything, you're ignorant for not understanding what the phrase "ignorance is bliss" means.
This thread could get ugly pretty quickly. I think I'm at the age where I still remember hating teachers and parents and their "rules", but also at the age where I understand the reasoning behind those rules. MSB and Aww can rag on kids all they want and I'm not gonna stop them, but it seems a bit juvenile to cast such sweeping generalizations. There's such a thing as ageism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ageism
Now you know... And Knowledge is Power! ;-D

Actually, "knowing is half the battle" ;-D
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk