uggh, a sad day in a high school mind - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

uggh, a sad day in a high school mind

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri May 05, 2006 12:55 pm

moonhead wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:To be fair, I think soda is just like anything else. Anything used excessively isn't good for you.

except for pot. ;-7

Yes, except for the herbage. It has recently come to light that Popeye did not get his super strength from the spinach, but actually what was in the pipe.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moonhead » Fri May 05, 2006 1:22 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
moonhead wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:To be fair, I think soda is just like anything else. Anything used excessively isn't good for you.

except for pot. ;-7

Yes, except for the herbage. It has recently come to light that Popeye did not get his super strength from the spinach, but actually what was in the pipe.

:-b he must've been sharing with that guy that loved hamburgers.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Tiki » Fri May 05, 2006 7:03 pm

mutantseabass wrote:
Tiki wrote:
mutantseabass wrote:Man when i was in school we never had pop machines. We couldnt even bring pop to school in our lunches if you brought one. I cant see what a pop machine would be doing in school. You really need pop to learn? Try the water fountain, it always worked for me in school. Kids are lazy slobs now :-t
....Ignorance is bliss...

So im ignorant for drinking water?? You just proved my point.
You think the kids now are in great shape??!!! Kids now dont do anything they dont have to outside. Its all about video games and computers.
I called you ignorant because you over generalized my generation and you just naturally assume that the schools in your day, had it right. This is what really pisses my off, is that everyone assumes that when they were growing up people had the right idea and that they were correct. Now, I know kids have weight problems but the fact that you think having pop/soda/soda pop, is a problem in disrupting education is completely uneducated, or ignorant. I don't see why having pop is a problem in the process of learning, or atleast that's what I think you're saying. It's a privilage, what's wrong with priviliages? I'll tell you, nothing. And I am not positive but I think due to recent technology kids are smarter than people in the past. I heard that somewhere but I don't know if it's true.
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dirt Bag » Fri May 05, 2006 9:05 pm

skibrett15 wrote:
mutantseabass wrote:
Tiki wrote:
mutantseabass wrote:Man when i was in school we never had pop machines. We couldnt even bring pop to school in our lunches if you brought one. I cant see what a pop machine would be doing in school. You really need pop to learn? Try the water fountain, it always worked for me in school. Kids are lazy slobs now :-t

You think the kids now are in great shape??!!! Kids now dont do anything they dont have to outside. Its all about video games and computers.

actually, you're ignorant because you never had soda as a kid and so you didn't get hooked on it. Tiki is lamenting the fact that he ever got hooked on pop in the first place. It's not a perfect usage of the word ignorant, so I'm sure you just "misunderestimated" him. If anything, you're ignorant for not understanding what the phrase "ignorance is bliss" means.
This thread could get ugly pretty quickly. I think I'm at the age where I still remember hating teachers and parents and their "rules", but also at the age where I understand the reasoning behind those rules. MSB and Aww can rag on kids all they want and I'm not gonna stop them, but it seems a bit juvenile to cast such sweeping generalizations. There's such a thing as ageism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ageism
Now you know... And Knowledge is Power! ;-D

Did they even have pop back in the Stoneage..err..MSB's childhood?
Dirt Bag
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Fri May 05, 2006 9:25 pm

some people's kids...
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby skibrett15 » Fri May 05, 2006 11:45 pm

moonhead wrote:some people's kids...

one of the funnier things I've heard today. :-D
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby jayday » Sat May 06, 2006 7:43 am

Tiki wrote:
mutantseabass wrote:
Tiki wrote:

I called you ignorant because you over generalized my generation and you just naturally assume that the schools in your day, had it right. This is what really pisses my off, is that everyone assumes that when they were growing up people had the right idea and that they were correct. Now, I know kids have weight problems but the fact that you think having pop/soda/soda pop, is a problem in disrupting education is completely uneducated, or ignorant. I don't see why having pop is a problem in the process of learning, or atleast that's what I think you're saying. It's a privilage, what's wrong with priviliages? I'll tell you, nothing. And I am not positive but I think due to recent technology kids are smarter than people in the past. I heard that somewhere but I don't know if it's true.

Probably technologically smarter, yes.....But that's like saying football players who wear the helmets of today are tougher than those guys who played with leather helmets because they get fewer concussions.....it's just benefiting from your surroundings....If the technology is there, yea, you're gonna learn it and be smarter in that area than someone who hasn't been exposed to that technology.....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby bagobonez » Mon May 08, 2006 6:30 pm

maddog60 wrote:Just my personal input from reading most of the posts on this thread.

Are kids these days lazy and out of shape? Probably a bit more than recent generations.
Will eliminating soda from schools solve the problem? Not a chance.

This whole laziness is a mindset. Kids arent fat because they have access to soda. They're fat because they don't know how to manage their health. They don't have the instinct to counteract their splurging. If they eat/drink too much sugar, carbohydrates, they don't make it a priority to burn at least some of that energy. Some kids do, but not enough. Getting rid of sodas in school will not change these bad habits though.

Its much like the other things we prohibit with kids. If they really want something they're told they can't have, they'll find a way to get it. Much better to teach them how to act like a responsible adult so that they dont overuse well just about anything from sweets and soda to alcohol.

This just seems like another quick fix that looks good on paper, will make the parents cheer, and support the !@#$'s who initiated it, and in the end resolve absolutely nothing.

I agree. Health and fitness is a choice that you have to make. Taking soda away from kids isn't going to do much if they can simply have it when they get home. And even if their parents don't stock it in the house, when they turn 16 and can drive, then they can go get a soda any time they want.

It all comes back to choice. You either choose to be healthy or you don't. Most people don't have the motivation and discipline to eat right and exercise.

I was as addicted to Dr. Pepper as probably anyone in the world, but now I don't drink it EVER. The sugar is bad for you and so is the phosphoric acid. I remember before I started drinking Dr. Pepper, I could play full court basketball all night long with no pain. Now if I run a mile or two, my knees and ankles hurt for days afterwards. That's why I stopped drinking them. They are absolute poison, and I urge everyone to take their health into consideration.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Mon May 08, 2006 10:31 pm

moonhead wrote:

except for pot. ;-7

indeed. I am very healthy for a reason, in fact right now i feel healthier than ever :-° :-) :-b
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby terpfan » Mon May 08, 2006 10:44 pm

I love soda, and I am in fine physical shape. Although I am trying to drink less of it.

Its up to you if you want to be a lazy slob. To be honest, I dont really know many people who fit the stereotype of the lazy, fat, modern teenager. In fact, a good percent of the people I have met in college and know from high school go to the gym regularly. Maybe thats just the people I know or the area I live in, but I think the "weight issue" is overblown.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk