Making Salsa - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Making Salsa

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby skibrett15 » Fri May 05, 2006 6:44 pm

yeah, i think Habaneros are rated a 14/15 on the spiciness scale of hot peppers. They are the hottest pepper so I don't know what would be a 15...
I read that off of a poster with a bunch of peppers so don't hold me to that.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Horizons » Fri May 05, 2006 7:52 pm

THE WORLD'S HOTTEST PEPPER PODS, the dried Wild Desert Tepín.
The Tepín, AKA, the "Gringo-killer!"
This is several times hotter than the Orange or Red Habaneros of Scotch Bonnets.
Dremann's Hotness Scale for the tiny Wild Desert Tepín=20,000-64,000 with seeds removed, which means one ounce of dried pepper pods will produce a detectable hotness in
20,000-64,000 ounces of salsa!
Heh, I'll pass... 8-o
Don't give up the ship...........sell it!!
Horizons
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 12)
Location: Somewhere on the "Trail of Tears" between the tube and GameCenter

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri May 05, 2006 9:01 pm

Very interesting..I was trying to find a pepper scale...I thought habanero might be the hottest I could easily find..but didn't know where serrano fit into the fold. Even one makes it pretty spicy. 3-4 in there gives it a helluva kick. And I typically have a pretty high pain tolerance when it comes to that stuff. But I may have to try it just to see..

That said, anyone make green salsa? Anything different but the tomatoes?
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Fri May 05, 2006 9:40 pm

Habenero hotness is ok, maybe just a bit too hot but still pretty solid. I can't stand the "sweet then hot" flavor of them though.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon May 08, 2006 9:03 am

whatabout that Insanity pepper Homer eats in the Simpsons Chili Cookoff episode?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon May 08, 2006 9:31 am

Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Sixxgunn » Mon May 08, 2006 12:32 pm

First off, I like to use a couple different hot peppers because they each have different flavors. Definitely de-seed them though. Not only is the seed the hottest part, but it sucks to get them in your teeth. You can avoid "pocket hotness" by this method. Simply use hotter peppers, or more of them. Also, I use lime juice instead of lemon. I think it just sets off the other flavors, especially the cilantro, better. I don't like the idea of the canned diced tomatoes either. If everything else is fresh, why stick in something mushy and tinny tasting? White onions are the best, stay away from the yellow ones. Too sweet. But I do like to throw a little bit of red and yellow bell peppers in for a different flavor and the presentation is nicer.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby UNDEFEATED » Mon May 08, 2006 1:51 pm

Sorry Sixx...but the seeds have very little to do with the hotness.

The spice/hotness is embedded in the membrane of the pepper.

For example...have you ever bitten the edge of a pepper? Then bitten the end of it? Which end is hotter? Neither. Its all the same.

SNS. I break salsa down into two cats. The pouring kind and the scooping type. Your recipe looks fine and i think its falls into the scooping cat.

Ill drop a recipe on you guys later.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Mon May 08, 2006 2:27 pm

UNDEFEATED wrote:Sorry Sixx...but the seeds have very little to do with the hotness.

For example...have you ever bitten the edge of a pepper? Then bitten the end of it? Which end is hotter? Neither. Its all the same.

SNS. I break salsa down into two cats. The pouring kind and the scooping type. Your recipe looks fine and i think its falls into the scooping cat.

LOL. Sweet. I look forward to seeing it Undie.

Yeah mine isn't too bad, the initial kick isn't too bad, but it comes back and gets a bit. As for the serrano vs the habenero, I just tend to like the flavor of serrano a bit better...But yeah, I won't pretend it's the asskickingest salsa out there, no way. :-b

Just good and flavorful, with a bit of a kick. Just as it was advertised. :-)

Yours sounds good Sixx...I like the fresh tomato idea a lot, just have never done it that way. From a friends' recipe and I never really tweaked the tomato part... ;-D
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Mon May 08, 2006 3:11 pm

UNDEFEATED wrote:Sorry Sixx...but the seeds have very little to do with the hotness.

This thread was really highjacked.
Sweet man, finally someone who can throw out another recipe. ;-D

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk