DC Sniper Begins Questioning Witnesses - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

DC Sniper Begins Questioning Witnesses

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: DC Sniper Begins Questioning Witnesses

Postby Metroid » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:04 pm

lol :-b

I don't really want to insert myself anymore into the pro death penalty/anti death penalty debate. You have stated your opinion, I respect that, and I have stated mine.

I think a major problem with the appeals system in the cost more than the length of time, although I realize cost is a result of time. I guess I just don't understand why it has to cost so much. I guess it's just really expensive when you're dealing with someones life. :-?

I'll concede that 7 years does seem a bit long, but again when you're dealing with someones life, if that's what it takes to get it right than I'm all for it.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:24 am

The numbers are wrong because the death penalty is not used the way it should be used. The death penalty is not a deterrent when the murderer is made a celebrity and sits on death row for 25 years before being executed (or 7 years in this case). If you truely don't believe that the murder rate would go down if criminals knew that a bullet would find their brain immediately after they are found guilty of murder, then I will simply tell you to use your own mind rather than faulty numbers before answering.

;-D

I am for the death penalty in certain situations. But I think it should be used only when you know the person is 100% guilty. There have been too many cases where DNA evidence gets someone off of death row & out of jail for it to be used all the time. Honestly, I don't even know why every criminal has to have a trial. If there are multiple witnesses, or the criminal is caught on video...is there any doubt that they're guilty? The way we use the death penalty is definitely not a deterrant for criminals. 7 years is actually a very short time compared to most criminals who spend 15-20+ years on death row. It's huge waste of time & money. I think people would definitely think twice before committing a serious crime if they knew they'd be put to death on the Monday following the guilty verdict. The system we have now is definitely too soft IMO.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:11 am

just curious about what the "eye for an eye" people think about rape...should the chick just get to strap one on and violate the guy, and then everyone goes about their business? i mean i'm sure he'd take that one instance over 20 years of prison rape or whatever the sentance is. or do you think maybe there should be some sort of standard, more severe punishment?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dream_017 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:42 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Madison wrote:If running a stop sign resulted in a $1 fine, hardly anyone would stop for a stop sign. Using your logic, we should abolish the $1 fine because it doesn't do any good instead of making the fine large enough to convince people to stop for the stop sign like they are supposed to. Great logic. :-b

We should just kill the people who run Stop signs. It will end all repeat offenses, and let them know we mean business.

If the penalty for running a stop sign was death, guess what? I would not be running a stop sign...ever.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:55 am

Rape, torture, murder, etc. area all acceptable as long as they are being committed by civilized people. If someone uncivilized rapes, tortures, or kills someone, the only reasonable punishment is to have a civilized person do the same back to them. How does that not make sense? Also, because the way we seem to distinguish between 'civilized' and 'uncivilized' is by whether or not someone rapes, tortures, or murders, anyone who dishes out the prescribed punishment immediately becomes an uncivilized animal, and must be raped, torturend or murdered.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:47 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
The numbers are wrong because the death penalty is not used the way it should be used. The death penalty is not a deterrent when the murderer is made a celebrity and sits on death row for 25 years before being executed (or 7 years in this case). If you truely don't believe that the murder rate would go down if criminals knew that a bullet would find their brain immediately after they are found guilty of murder, then I will simply tell you to use your own mind rather than faulty numbers before answering.

;-D

I am for the death penalty in certain situations. But I think it should be used only when you know the person is 100% guilty. There have been too many cases where DNA evidence gets someone off of death row & out of jail for it to be used all the time. Honestly, I don't even know why every criminal has to have a trial. If there are multiple witnesses, or the criminal is caught on video...is there any doubt that they're guilty? The way we use the death penalty is definitely not a deterrant for criminals. 7 years is actually a very short time compared to most criminals who spend 15-20+ years on death row. It's huge waste of time & money. I think people would definitely think twice before committing a serious crime if they knew they'd be put to death on the Monday following the guilty verdict. The system we have now is definitely too soft IMO.

Everyone deserves a trial, no matter how much evidence is piled up against them. One of the main rights that this country is founded on is the right to due process. I don't care what the person did, they get to exercise all their rights (starting with Miranda rights and ending with the right to an appeal, as well as everything in the middle of these two). I get that these people are murderers (and sometimes mass murderers), but that doesn't change the fact that they still do have rights.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:27 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:just curious about what the "eye for an eye" people think about rape...should the chick just get to strap one on and violate the guy, and then everyone goes about their business? i mean i'm sure he'd take that one instance over 20 years of prison rape or whatever the sentance is. or do you think maybe there should be some sort of standard, more severe punishment?

In some cases the rapist might actually enjoy being violated (a lot of sickos out there), so that's an obvious no-go.

Anyway, I've never had a problem with jail time, fines, etc., for everything that doesn't include murder. I think jail times are too short most of the time and I don't like to hear about criminals getting out early for "good behavior" or whatever other reason though.

But once a criminal chooses to murder, it's a whole different ballgame.

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:45 pm

In my opinion, rape--particularly child rape--is worse than murder. I'm not in favor of the death penalty for anyone, but if I were, child rapists would be the ones I'd give it to.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Previous

Return to General Talk