Cruise's Crazy Act Costs MI:III - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Cruise's Crazy Act Costs MI:III

Moderator: Football Moderators

Cruise's Crazy Act Costs MI:III

Postby knapplc » Sun May 07, 2006 5:06 pm

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Fewer people chose to accept Tom Cruise's latest mission, a possible sign that the odd behavior of Hollywood's biggest star may have taken a toll on his box-office charm.

Paramount's "Mission: Impossible III" debuted with $48.025 million, a solid opening, yet well below industry expectations and almost $10 million lower than the franchise's previous installment, according to studio estimates Sunday.

Industry analysts had expected the movie to open in the range of "Mission: Impossible II," which debuted with $57.8 million from Friday to Sunday over Memorial Day weekend in 2000, and Cruise's "War of the Worlds," which premiered with $64.9 million from Friday to Sunday over Fourth of July weekend last year.

Rob Moore, Paramount's head of worldwide marketing and distribution, said he did not believe Cruise's private life had any impact on "Mission: Impossible III," directed by "Lost" creator J.J. Abrams.

"I don't think so. There's no question it concerns us if the press is writing about things other than the movie," Moore said. "If people are writing about his personal life, then by definition, they're not writing about the movie."

Cruise's antics in the past year or so, publicity over his romance with Katie Holmes and the tabloid blitz regarding their daughter's birth in April may have left some movie-goers burned out or disenchanted with the actor.

Traditionally reserved about his private life, Cruise abruptly became an open book, jumping up and down on a couch while professing his love for Holmes in an interview with Oprah Winfrey and spouting his Scientology beliefs, including rants against psychiatry.

$48 Million is nothing to sneeze at, but this guy is clearly costing himself with his ridiculous behavior.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sun May 07, 2006 5:08 pm

I think the fact that MI:II kinda sucked didn't help either.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby knapplc » Sun May 07, 2006 5:10 pm

And from what I saw, this one didn't look all that great. The "bad guy" didn't seem all that "bad," and haven't we done this plot about 100 times in the past ten years anyway?

But, despite that, MANY people I've talked to about this movie say they have no interest in seeing Tom Cruise in anything. He's made such an ass of himself he's really turning people off.

:-t
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Sun May 07, 2006 6:00 pm

About the only thing I want to see Tom Cruise in would be re-runs of Top Gun. Aside from that, I really don't care. Especially with how bad MI2 was.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby awwchrist » Sun May 07, 2006 6:27 pm

eh..I saw MI:3 last night. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Sun May 07, 2006 8:37 pm

any person that has a southpark episode basically pulled will lose my viewing. Ill ban all tom cruises garbage from here on.
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Sun May 07, 2006 9:04 pm

well also maybe the fact that this was not a holiday weekend had something to do with it grossing less than war of the worlds and MI II. Some of my friends saw this one, though, and said it was the best one yet in the series, so I'm definitely going to see it.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Free Bagel » Sun May 07, 2006 10:01 pm

I agree, don't see what this had to do with anything in Cruise's real life. Comparing the #'s to the last two just doesn't make much sense. With the first one, it was new and of course, great. The 2nd had that "oh cool, they're making another and the first one was pretty good" vibe going for it.

At this point, it's just kind of gotten into that "really, they're making a 3rd one?" stage, and on top of that just doesn't look that great.

Quite frankly, I'm sorta surprised it did as well as it did.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Jimboozie » Mon May 08, 2006 12:42 am

I love all the Mission Impossible movies and shows so I had to see MI3 regardless of Cruise's antics. The film was pretty good - it had a good amount of action, suspense and the usual Mission Impossible trickery and deception. ;-D
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Teck » Mon May 08, 2006 1:19 am

That bad guy, whatever his name is, used to play really stupid parts in movies, like in Along came polly and played all minor roles until he did Capote.. he alone just keeps me away from the movie
Thanks Wicked for the sig!
Teck
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to General Talk