sleeper of the year - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

sleeper of the year

Moderator: Football Moderators

Drounghs, right on

Postby mlavwilson » Sat May 13, 2006 6:56 am

Gnu314 wrote:Another guy that I like, even though he has already been mentioned is Drounghs. I'm a little concerned about the fact that Frye is going to be starting but hopefully he is ready and their offense is decent. I think that for Drounghs the offense is what will end up holding him back, not the lack of talent or a terrible line.

During the 2005 Season Droughs was 10th with 309 carries. After the browns draft we can expect a few more scores for Drounghs.

I expect +1400 yds, 9TDs.
mlavwilson
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby biju » Sat May 13, 2006 2:00 pm

Just to add to the Dayne drama I was talking about who I was going to keep in my keeper league to a friend in the same league and explained that Ron Dayne would cost me a 12th rounder in 2006. He wondered why I would keep a guy that is surely going to lose his position to Tatum Bell.

About one year ago the same guy wondered why I was going to keep Mike Anderson for a 12th rounder when he was surely going to lose his position to Tatum Bell (who he took in the 5th round).

:-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby michaelavelli » Sat May 13, 2006 2:06 pm

biju wrote:Just to add to the Dayne drama I was talking about who I was going to keep in my keeper league to a friend in the same league and explained that Ron Dayne would cost me a 12th rounder in 2006. He wondered why I would keep a guy that is surely going to lose his position to Tatum Bell.

About one year ago the same guy wondered why I was going to keep Mike Anderson for a 12th rounder when he was surely going to lose his position to Tatum Bell (who he took in the 5th round).

I think in deep leagues, Cedric Cobbs is a decent sleeper.
michaelavelli
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby skibrett15 » Sat May 13, 2006 4:26 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:It basically takes 50 TD passes for any #3 WR in the NFL to make an impact in fantasy. Everyone remembers the record breaking season, but I think most people look at Stokely's 1000/10 season as a fluke.

I think Carter can exceed Keyshawn's productivity. Especially in the touchdowns category, where Key has rarely ever excelled. This idea that a slot reciever can excel doesn't stem from the idea that the other two guys ahead of him are also having huge seasons. I think Key will get his share of yards, but he'll lack in touchdowns. I think Carter can put up 800 and 8 scores in that offense.

When has Jake Delhomme ever looked to his second option with any frequency?? He ignored Moose the year before Steve Broke his leg. Ignored Colbert, ignored Colbert again, and now he'll ignore Carter. Jake Delhomme makes his living by throwing to the no. 1 receiver.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Kensat30 » Sat May 13, 2006 8:00 pm

skibrett15 wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:It basically takes 50 TD passes for any #3 WR in the NFL to make an impact in fantasy. Everyone remembers the record breaking season, but I think most people look at Stokely's 1000/10 season as a fluke.

I think Carter can exceed Keyshawn's productivity. Especially in the touchdowns category, where Key has rarely ever excelled. This idea that a slot reciever can excel doesn't stem from the idea that the other two guys ahead of him are also having huge seasons. I think Key will get his share of yards, but he'll lack in touchdowns. I think Carter can put up 800 and 8 scores in that offense.

When has Jake Delhomme ever looked to his second option with any frequency?? He ignored Moose the year before Steve Broke his leg. Ignored Colbert, ignored Colbert again, and now he'll ignore Carter. Jake Delhomme makes his living by throwing to the no. 1 receiver.

If you look in the 2nd half of the season of 2003 (last time Delhomme had two solid NFL WRs) and into the playoffs of that year Delhomme frequently targeted his #2 WR Muhammad. Muhammad only had one real stinker of a game as the #2 behind Steve Smith in the 2nd half of that year, when Delhomme was just developing himself into a top10 NFL QB.

At this point, Delhomme is a seasoned player and he knows how to hit the open man. Just look at the past two seasons and what he has done for two different WRs, that is not the result of a QB with tunnel vision, that is the result of a highly efficient QB that can make plays happen for someone with talent. People seem to forget that Keary Colbert was a rookie in 2004 and he performed pretty well, but then he experienced the sophmore slump in 2005 while Smith was just dominant.

Just wait until this year when Keyshawn approaches similar numbers to what he saw in Dallas (~70/900/6) and Steve Smith comes back to Earth a little bit. There will be no more talk about how Delhomme only targets one player, there will be talk about how Delhomme is just a great QB.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby JStein » Sat May 13, 2006 8:07 pm

biju wrote:About one year ago the same guy wondered why I was going to keep Mike Anderson for a 12th rounder when he was surely going to lose his position to Tatum Bell (who he took in the 5th round).

I bet he feels like an idiot now - Anderson was Shanahan's predominant choice of red-zone rushing.
JStein
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sun May 14, 2006 3:14 pm

During Drew Carter's two playoff games, he had four catches for 130+ yards and a score. During his final two regular season games, Carter had five catches for 103 yards and a score. Carter never even played a game at wideout before week 15 and when he finally got the chance, he looked very nice as a deep threat. Again, I'm not saying he's going to be a stud, but I do think he's sleeper worthy and could be a servicable backup for a fantasy squad.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Sun May 14, 2006 8:06 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:During Drew Carter's two playoff games, he had four catches for 130+ yards and a score. During his final two regular season games, Carter had five catches for 103 yards and a score. Carter never even played a game at wideout before week 15 and when he finally got the chance, he looked very nice as a deep threat. Again, I'm not saying he's going to be a stud, but I do think he's sleeper worthy and could be a servicable backup for a fantasy squad.

Again, you are ignoring the Keyshawn Johnson factor. There is a big difference between Drew Carter #2 WR(sleeper) vs Drew Carter #3 WR(wasted pick) IMO.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Verdun Barbarians » Sun May 14, 2006 9:41 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:During Drew Carter's two playoff games, he had four catches for 130+ yards and a score. During his final two regular season games, Carter had five catches for 103 yards and a score. Carter never even played a game at wideout before week 15 and when he finally got the chance, he looked very nice as a deep threat. Again, I'm not saying he's going to be a stud, but I do think he's sleeper worthy and could be a servicable backup for a fantasy squad.

I think he could come to be a Kevin Curtis type contributor...
Verdun Barbarians
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby JStein » Sun May 14, 2006 10:29 pm

Popcynical wrote:Well, now that he's already been drafted in my league, I'll post my sleeper of the year. Reggie Brown is gonna be a stud this year... you watch. He's the number one receiver in a heavy passing offense.

I'll definately buy that. While largely unprove, he did show a nice glimpse of his talent on the one (was it two?) game(s) he played with Donovan McNabb as the passer. Much more relief that Garcia is in the #2 QB slot instead of Detmer/McMahon. That was an ugly situtation for the Eagles.
JStein
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk