sleeper of the year - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

sleeper of the year

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Crimedogg32 » Sun May 14, 2006 11:14 pm

I decided id give a sleeper team a shot. Since we dont have any cafe rankings yet I had to use another site (footballguys) so ill say you start 1 QB 2 RB 2 WR 1 TE 1 K 1 DEF and ill give a sleeper team where none of them would be projected starters by their rankings (10 team league)

QB Warner (Favre)
RB C. Taylor Gore (Davenport Dayne)
WR Houshmandzadeh Mason (Mi. Clayton Re. Brown)
TE Hilton (Watson)
K Reed (Kaeding)
DEF Bengals (Giants)

I think thats a team that could potentially compete which I think serves to show you shouldnt really moan about your pick
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon May 15, 2006 12:01 am

Kensat30 wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:During Drew Carter's two playoff games, he had four catches for 130+ yards and a score. During his final two regular season games, Carter had five catches for 103 yards and a score. Carter never even played a game at wideout before week 15 and when he finally got the chance, he looked very nice as a deep threat. Again, I'm not saying he's going to be a stud, but I do think he's sleeper worthy and could be a servicable backup for a fantasy squad.

Again, you are ignoring the Keyshawn Johnson factor. There is a big difference between Drew Carter #2 WR(sleeper) vs Drew Carter #3 WR(wasted pick) IMO.

I am in no way ignoring Keyshawn Johnson. I suppose each of us are entitled to our opinions on this matter. We'll just have to wait and see who ends up right on this one. I do think Carter will end up making a fantasy impact at wideout in a deep league. You don't. Perhaps we'll be digging this thread up in several months. ;-)
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Infidel » Mon May 15, 2006 12:21 am

I am not going to read 8 pages of this thread, but Matt Jones has to be the guy. Sorry if he has been mentioned before but I am not a Wilford fan and the guy is a former QB so the learning curve (3 yrs for a Wr) is shortened. He is my 3rd WR this year and could end up top 10.
CheeseWhiz is a great substitute for plazma.
Infidel
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby maddog60 » Mon May 15, 2006 5:22 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:During Drew Carter's two playoff games, he had four catches for 130+ yards and a score. During his final two regular season games, Carter had five catches for 103 yards and a score. Carter never even played a game at wideout before week 15 and when he finally got the chance, he looked very nice as a deep threat. Again, I'm not saying he's going to be a stud, but I do think he's sleeper worthy and could be a servicable backup for a fantasy squad.

Again, you are ignoring the Keyshawn Johnson factor. There is a big difference between Drew Carter #2 WR(sleeper) vs Drew Carter #3 WR(wasted pick) IMO.

I am in no way ignoring Keyshawn Johnson. I suppose each of us are entitled to our opinions on this matter. We'll just have to wait and see who ends up right on this one. I do think Carter will end up making a fantasy impact at wideout in a deep league. You don't. Perhaps we'll be digging this thread up in several months. ;-)

I'm surprised neither of you has mentioned Keary Colbert. He was nearly absent all of last year, but he had a great rookie year, so it stands to reason, Carter might not even be able to take the #3 WR spot.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby onnestabe » Mon May 15, 2006 8:46 am

Infidel wrote:I am not going to read 8 pages of this thread, but Matt Jones has to be the guy. Sorry if he has been mentioned before but I am not a Wilford fan and the guy is a former QB so the learning curve (3 yrs for a Wr) is shortened. He is my 3rd WR this year and could end up top 10.

I like the sleeper pick, but I'm not sure that being an option QB in college decreases the learning curve compared to someone who was a WR in college. :-?
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon May 15, 2006 4:29 pm

maddog60 wrote:I'm surprised neither of you has mentioned Keary Colbert. He was nearly absent all of last year, but he had a great rookie year, so it stands to reason, Carter might not even be able to take the #3 WR spot.

I think with Colbert's horrid play last season, Carter will be able to take the slot position. If you look at what Carter did and compare it to what Colbert did during the last several week of the Panthers' season (postseason included) you'll see that Carter dwarfs Colbert's numbers.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Mon May 15, 2006 4:33 pm

onnestabe wrote:
Infidel wrote:I am not going to read 8 pages of this thread, but Matt Jones has to be the guy. Sorry if he has been mentioned before but I am not a Wilford fan and the guy is a former QB so the learning curve (3 yrs for a Wr) is shortened. He is my 3rd WR this year and could end up top 10.

I like the sleeper pick, but I'm not sure that being an option QB in college decreases the learning curve compared to someone who was a WR in college. :-?

Yeah I was wondering about that too. I think he's saying that being a QB means he's smarter, so he woud be able to pick it up faster. Not sure I would agree with that though.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Mon May 15, 2006 6:34 pm

brown is a nice pick. He led rookies in receiving, and had like 500 yards, four td's on a team in dissaray. I thought he only started one game with donovan (could be wrong), and it was a nice one. Performed admirably considering three different qbs were throwing to him, its a tough offense to grasp, and the team really didn't have any weapons other than LJ smith once westbrook went out. could be a big year with a healthy donovan, westbrook/
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kensat30 » Mon May 15, 2006 6:50 pm

maddog60 wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:

I'm surprised neither of you has mentioned Keary Colbert. He was nearly absent all of last year, but he had a great rookie year, so it stands to reason, Carter might not even be able to take the #3 WR spot.

I was focusing on Carter not having a chance at the #2 WR slot absent an injury, but this is another good point. Keary Colbert is just one more factor to stop the Drew Carter = sleeper talk. Seriously, I don't care how deep the league is and how many players you start, why would you not gamble on a guy who actually has a chance to become the starter for his team without an injury happening? Carter will (99% chance) be on the waivers if Keyshawn or Smith gets hurt.. then you can grab him while everybody is trying to decide if Colbert/Carter is the replacement.

If it's an insanely deep league, Carter will probably be drafted, but then again so will Bethel Johnson.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Kensat30 » Mon May 15, 2006 6:52 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
maddog60 wrote:I'm surprised neither of you has mentioned Keary Colbert. He was nearly absent all of last year, but he had a great rookie year, so it stands to reason, Carter might not even be able to take the #3 WR spot.

I think with Colbert's horrid play last season, Carter will be able to take the slot position. If you look at what Carter did and compare it to what Colbert did during the last several week of the Panthers' season (postseason included) you'll see that Carter dwarfs Colbert's numbers.

What about Colbert's numbers, andexperience as a starter, during his first year in the league? If we go by last year's numbers alone, Ike Hilliard is going to be a better fantasy WR than Michael Clayton.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk