cops... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

cops...

Moderator: Football Moderators

cops...

Postby moonhead » Mon May 08, 2006 4:46 pm

jeez

NEW PORT RICHEY, Fla. -- A panicked father who pushed past rescue workers to get to his injured daughter at the scene of a car crash now faces felony charges.

Not weird enough?
Read more strange news
LOOK! Strange News Photos
Karl Swanson of Holiday, Fla., told the St. Petersburg Times he got a call from his daughter's cell phone late Tuesday: "Listen," the caller said, "your daughter's been in a terrible accident. She's in critical condition. It doesn't look good."

Florida Highway Patrol troopers said the 48-year-old anesthesiologist drove into the accident scene, narrowly missing an emergency helicopter, then pushed past a trooper and a paramedic to get to his 18-year-old daughter's side.

Swanson was charged with battery on a law enforcement officer and battery on an emergency medical care provider. He is free on $10,000 bond.

"Basically, he made a very serious and stressful situation worse," Florida Highway Patrol Trooper Larry Coggins said. "When people just relax for a second and listen to reason, we always let them see their loved one."

Swanson's daughter, 18-year-old Krystyna, remains in serious condition at a hospital. On Wednesday, he defended his response to the crash.

"They told me my daughter was dying," he said Wednesday. "They told me to go there. So that's what I did."
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby knapplc » Mon May 08, 2006 5:01 pm

So, they're pressing charges against a distraught father who went to an accident involving his daughter? Hmm... I'd like to know more before I comment, but I can see why he'd be panicked. :-?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Verdun Barbarians » Mon May 08, 2006 5:22 pm

[irony]That's what happens when a cop starts to think... [/irony]

:-°
Verdun Barbarians
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon May 08, 2006 5:38 pm

stupid cops. what would you do if your daughter was said to be dieing? YOUD RUN THE F*CK OVER THERE.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Alkaholik » Mon May 08, 2006 5:49 pm

There has to be more to the story then what we were givin...

more than often if someone is hurt or dies and close family member or friend finds out , when they get there, their mind is in a complete desperation or adreneline rush, where everything else is forgotten and you are in a state of confusion and desperation, where you can and will do whatever without thinking before hand, cops and judges know this and rarely ever actual punish them for doing so, i have even heard of them arriving to the seen and knockin the convict right in the face with an upper cut while he was being cuffed and taken to the car and not get punished for doing so.

sometimes they will just give them community service, but i'm sure there is much more to this
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby bagobonez » Mon May 08, 2006 6:17 pm

Alkaholik wrote:There has to be more to the story then what we were givin...

more than often if someone is hurt or dies and close family member or friend finds out , when they get there, their mind is in a complete desperation or adreneline rush, where everything else is forgotten and you are in a state of confusion and desperation, where you can and will do whatever without thinking before hand, cops and judges know this and rarely ever actual punish them for doing so, i have even heard of them arriving to the seen and knockin the convict right in the face with an upper cut while he was being cuffed and taken to the car and not get punished for doing so.

sometimes they will just give them community service, but i'm sure there is much more to this

You're right, I'm sure there's more to it. My guess would be that he essentially "fought" an officer in order to get to the car. I can't say I would blame him if I was in his shoes, but the law is the law, and it has to be upheld.

The police officer doesn't know what the man is going to do... for all he knew the man could have been going for his gun or something. When someone's in an emotional catastrophe, people are liable to do anything.

The bottom line is, you can't just look the other way when something like this happens, because that sends a message to "real" criminals that it's ok to "assault" an officer.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby terpfan » Mon May 08, 2006 10:48 pm

Yeah I have to assume theres more to it...

But damn, thats got to be the worst feeling ever. Getting a call from your daughters cell phone saying shes dying. Cant even imagine...
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Tiki » Mon May 08, 2006 10:55 pm

Po-Nanny, hate them, but they are very necessary. ;-D :-t

I DUNNO! :-?
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lmcjaho » Mon May 08, 2006 11:24 pm

The article wrote:Swanson's daughter, 18-year-old Krystyna, remains in serious condition at a hospital. On Wednesday, he defended his response to the crash.

What they should charge him with is stupidity in naming his child - Krystyna? For crying out loud people it's Christina - learn to spell already!! :-[
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue May 09, 2006 8:00 am

Eh, I'm not going to complain about the name of a dying person...:-/

I can't imagine how stressful and nerve-racking something like that would be since I've never had to do it. I'm thinking you should try to avoid hitting helicopters and trying to interfere with officers and paramedics when they are trying to save a life...but like I said, I'm sure fight or flight took over.

Still, this isn't TV...on ER they always show family members being in the operating room of the ER while they are doing some crazy procedure. I don't think that really happens (not sure on that either), so if someone tried to do that, I'm sure there would be people restraining them from going there.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk