Fun Fact About Bo Jackson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Fun Fact About Bo Jackson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Fun Fact About Bo Jackson

Postby knapplc » Tue May 09, 2006 9:57 am

Omaha Red Sox's sig made me recall this fun little fact about Bo Jackson that maybe only about ten people in the world know...

My dad grew up in the “country” suburbs of Chicago, a little hamlet called Hinsdale. The lived on South Madison Street, just south of 94th. It was a very woody area when my dad was a kid. His grandpa owned the pastureland between my dad’s house and the Des Plaines river. After Great-Grandpa died my grandparents kept the land until they got too old to take care of it and then they sold it. What used to be my Great-Grandpa’s farm with horses, pigs and cattle became a gated community with some very nice houses.

We visited my grandparents as they were building this community some umpteen years ago, back when Bo played for the White Sox. We took a walk through the woods on the old path from my grandparent’s house to what used to be my Great-Grandpa’s farm, and walked through some of the houses that were still under construction. One of the nicest ones was centered almost exactly on Great-Grandpa’s old pig sty. Grandpa showed us through this house (I tracked mud on the new carpet) and showed us some plans on the kitchen counter that showed it was Bo Jackson’s new house (I guess his name was on the plans or something – I was a kid and didn’t care).

I don’t have any idea whether Bo still lives there, but at one time Bo Jackson’s new Chicago house was located on top of a former pig sty.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Fun Fact About Bo Jackson

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue May 09, 2006 10:25 am

knapplc wrote:Omaha Red Sox's sig made me recall this fun little fact about Bo Jackson that maybe only about ten people in the world know...

My dad grew up in the “country” suburbs of Chicago, a little hamlet called Hinsdale. The lived on South Madison Street, just south of 94th. It was a very woody area when my dad was a kid. His grandpa owned the pastureland between my dad’s house and the Des Plaines river. After Great-Grandpa died my grandparents kept the land until they got too old to take care of it and then they sold it. What used to be my Great-Grandpa’s farm with horses, pigs and cattle became a gated community with some very nice houses.

We visited my grandparents as they were building this community some umpteen years ago, back when Bo played for the White Sox. We took a walk through the woods on the old path from my grandparent’s house to what used to be my Great-Grandpa’s farm, and walked through some of the houses that were still under construction. One of the nicest ones was centered almost exactly on Great-Grandpa’s old pig sty. Grandpa showed us through this house (I tracked mud on the new carpet) and showed us some plans on the kitchen counter that showed it was Bo Jackson’s new house (I guess his name was on the plans or something – I was a kid and didn’t care).

I don’t have any idea whether Bo still lives there, but at one time Bo Jackson’s new Chicago house was located on top of a former pig sty.

How long have you been gone Knapp? Just curious because of how you describe Hinsdale as country. Everything is expanding so quickly around here that there's almost nothing country within 2 hours of Chicago anymore.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Re: Fun Fact About Bo Jackson

Postby knapplc » Tue May 09, 2006 11:00 am

Sixxgunn wrote:How long have you been gone Knapp? Just curious because of how you describe Hinsdale as country. Everything is expanding so quickly around here that there's almost nothing country within 2 hours of Chicago anymore.

I never lived there. My Grandparents lived on South Madison and we visited often, but they moved to a condo on a lake in Oak Brook in the early 90s. They both passed away in the mid-90s and I haven't been to that part of Chicagoland for at least ten years. I gathered from the Google satellite photo that I looked at that it has changed DRAMATICALLY. The woods are all gone and so is my grandparent's house. :,-( It was a very cool old house, too.

When we were visiting it was very much a woodsy country area. I can tell from the pictures it's not anymore.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue May 09, 2006 11:13 am

I'm going to tell him it was you who tracked mud into his house. }:-)

Question though, Knapp; Bo only played for the White Sox in '91 & '93. If you're 35 right now, wouldn't that make you 21 in '91 and 23 in '93? You mentioned you were a kid when he was building his house so I was just curious.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue May 09, 2006 11:14 am

Gotcha. It's crazy how fast things change around here. I can remember so many things that I can't even recognize now. The biggest being the trees you mentioned. It's like people here hate trees or something. Even in their own yards the trees are being cut down crazy style. It really makes me wish I were a kid again, when my neighborhood looked like a neighborhood, and not like a regular city block.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby knapplc » Tue May 09, 2006 11:15 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I'm going to tell him it was you who tracked mud into his house. }:-)

Question though, Knapp; Bo only played for the White Sox in '91 & '93. If you're 35 right now, wouldn't that make you 21 in '91 and 23 in '93? You mentioned you were a kid when he was building his house so I was just curious.

21 is a kid. Actually I think I was 20 (I was born in August and I think this was in the Spring).

But I did track mud in his house. :-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue May 09, 2006 11:43 am

knapplc wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I'm going to tell him it was you who tracked mud into his house. }:-)

21 is a kid. Actually I think I was 20 (I was born in August and I think this was in the Spring).

But I did track mud in his house. :-D

See, I was a kid (under 18) when Bo was playing. I was 13 when he went to the White Sox. That's a kid. You mentioned you were a kid, but it got me thinking because I thought you were 7-8 years older than me. Maybe you were a kid and I was still a whippersnapper.
You ever get to West Omaha Knapp? Remember when Boystown was first consider waaaaay out of town, then it was just out of town, then it was West Omaha? That's between 132-144th Sts. West Omaha is now 210th.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Tue May 09, 2006 12:01 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
You ever get to West Omaha Knapp? Remember when Boystown was first consider waaaaay out of town, then it was just out of town, then it was West Omaha? That's between 132-144th Sts. West Omaha is now 210th.

Yes, I use the Boys Town example all the time to describe how Omaha has grown. It used to be that when you got to Boys Town you knew you were getting close to Omaha – now Boys Town is two or three miles inside the city.

Remember, I grew up in Fremont. We’d drive to Omaha about once a month. I remember going through Valley and Waterloo on US275and getting to the Dodge Street interchange, heading past Elkhorn and then some more countryside until we got to Boys Town. Once we got to Boys Town I would start looking out for the Golden Spike drive-in and the trailer park that surrounded it (now that’s a Menards I think?). You didn’t really get to Omaha until you got to 680 which was back then a beltway around town, not a thoroughfare through town like it is now.

Yeah, Omaha has changed and grown quite a bit. That raised highway system they’re putting at 120th is MASSIVE, as is the 680/Dodge Street interchange right there by Old Mill – that used to be a very simple on/off ramp system; now it’s a monster-sized series of ramps and through-lanes.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue May 09, 2006 12:08 pm

knapplc wrote: as is the 680/Dodge Street interchange right there by Old Mill – that used to be a very simple on/off ramp system; now it’s a monster-sized series of ramps and through-lanes.

I went to a few Dep of Roads meetings regarding the Old Mill interchange. I didn't like the idea from the get-go. They showed all of these flashy multimedia presentations about how perfect and wonderful it would be. In reality you're going to have traffic crossing nonstop. There are so many businesses, include Cox Communications, that threw a fit when it got passed. Cox now will have cars flying past their customer service reps' windows. All of the small businesses have left that area, only the corporate supported businesses, car dealers, hotels, etc., remain. I avoid that area as much as possible now since I no longer work there.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby VaderFin » Tue May 09, 2006 12:34 pm

Bo knows pigs.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk