More Guns N Roses News - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

More Guns N Roses News

Moderator: Football Moderators

More Guns N Roses News

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue May 09, 2006 5:07 pm

From Yahoo:

We know you've heard it before, but this Axl Rose says he finally ready to spread some Democracy. Honest.

The Guns N' Roses ringleader emerged from his Cheney-esque secure location last Friday to appear on a New York radio station, where he revealed that Chinese Democracy will at long last make its way to stores within a few months.

The 44-year-old singer broke the news on Eddie Trunk's syndicated radio program on WAXQ-FM after cohost Sebastian Bach of Skid Row fame phoned Rose on his cell and conducted an impromptu interview to find out what the deal was.

When questioned when the seemingly forever gestating album would finally be unleashed, the flamed-haired singer replied, "Sometime this fall or late fall," adding that "it will be out this year." Presumably he didn't have his fingers crossed.

Rose, the only original member left from the classic GNR lineup, is currently in Manhattan with his new Guns N' Roses crew rehearsing for shows at the Hammerstein Ballroom May 12, 14, 15, and 17.

The band will then head to Europe for several festival dates in June and a reunion with Rolling Stones. Guns N' Roses will open Stones shows in Nuremburg and Leipzig, Germany July 10 and 12, respectively. (GNR last opened for Mick and the boys at the Los Angeles Coliseum in 1989.)

During the brief phone call, Trunk invited Rose to stop by his studio. Lo and behold, the reclusive singer showed up an hour later, but the radio hosts had a hard time interrogating him.

Asked to explain the cancellation of the Gunner's infamous 2002 comeback tour, which came after Rose flaked on a concert in Philadelphia, the singer initially demurred before saying that he just wasn't ready to take the stage again. But, he added, he was glad that the revamped lineup got some stage experience under its belt so the new members felt more like a band than hired hands.

For that 2002 iteration, Rose welcomed to the jungle ex-Nine Inch Nails guitarist Robin Finck, former Replacements bassist Tommy Stinson, guitar virtuoso Buckethead, onetime Psychedelic Furs guitarist Richard Fortis, former Primus drummer Brian "Brain" Mantia," and keyboardists Chris Pittman and Dizzy Reed, the latter of whom joined GNR during the Use Your Illusion era in the early '90s.

Rose announced that Buckethead will not be joining Guns N' Roses on the forthcoming jaunt, having left the band in 2004.

During his radio interview, however, the rocker did note that he had been hanging out with ex-Gunner Izzy Stradlin, sparking speculation that Stradlin might end up making a surprise appearance at one of the Hammerstein gigs. There have been conflicting rumors about whether Rose's former running mate Slash would be back in the fold, but Rose didn't address that. (Slash and original GNR bassist Duff McKagan are suing Rose over royalties.)

Rose confirmed that the band has recorded "two-and-a-half, three albums worth of material" but that Chinese Democracy will be a single disc and he's finalizing the track list. He also hinted that some of the leftover songs could be saved for a future release.

Of course, we've heard all this before, most recently in February after Rose showed up at a tour kickoff party hosted by Korn and declared that "people will hear music this year." He made the statements around the same time three studio-quality tracks from Democracy--"There Was a Time," "I.R.S." and "Better"--were leaked to a Boston radio station and found their way to the Internet.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Jimboozie » Tue May 09, 2006 5:12 pm

I'm not gonna hold my breath. ;-)
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue May 09, 2006 5:16 pm

Jimboozie wrote:I'm not gonna hold my breath. ;-)

Nor am I. Besides, it's been so talked about for so long, it's bound to be a massive letdown for anyone who still cares.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue May 09, 2006 5:17 pm

One of the worst live bands I ever saw. Never liked them and their live show sucked. The only reason I even went to see them was because I loved Metallica at the time who was co-headlining. 1st night we stayed for GNR just because 1 guy we were with really wanted to see them. They sucked so bad that even he agreed to leave halfway through their show. The 2nd night we left as soon as Metallica finished their set.

On another note, GNR will go down as the band that threw away the most because of drugs and the fact that they couldn't get along because Axl is an a$$. Look at how huge they were with only a few albums released. They could've been one of the biggest bands in the world for decades if they didn't screw it up.

I never liked them then so I have absolutely no interest in hearing the crap they might eventually put out. They're a sad joke and I wish that they would just go away.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue May 09, 2006 5:31 pm

I think they really might be the biggest "threw it all away" case in recent memory. Considering that everyone in the band is still alive, I don't recall many bigger bands losing everything from abuse and egotism. I'm actually amazed Duff and Adler are still alive considering how much they abused drugs and alcohol. Though, Adler is a shell of his former self and that's not saying much. When you consider the success of Velvet Revolver, it boggles the mind to think of what GNR could have been had they stayed together.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue May 09, 2006 6:18 pm

I say I am about .500 on their shows. I saw one I thought was great...And one that wasn't so much.

The stadium one where they were with Faith No More, and Metallica was great. All 3 bands were actually. GNR stayed in the back too long before coming out, but once out they were good. I loved it. ;-D

The other one Blind Melon opened and they were very good, while GNR not so much... :-t
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed May 10, 2006 8:27 am

I was looking forward to this album about 5 years ago. I have since decided it's not going to happen. Wouldn't be the same without Slash anyway. :-t
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed May 10, 2006 9:03 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I was looking forward to this album about 5 years ago. I have since decided it's not going to happen. Wouldn't be the same without Slash anyway. :-t

yeah, it's not the same, but Buckethead did a pretty good job on the last tour (seriously though, for as bad a rap as that guy gets for having a stupid name and wearing a mask, he can flat out play)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed May 10, 2006 10:44 am

What's funny is the use of Guns-N-Roses and the word news in the same sentence in the year 2006. :-b
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby mutantseabass » Wed May 10, 2006 4:59 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:I think they really might be the biggest "threw it all away" case in recent memory.

They would far and away take that vote. Axls attitude really soured me on the band, much like Lars Ulrich did for Metallica for me.

I agree with you FNJ they are awful live. Axl just couldnt pull the vocals off and the overall sound of the concert was just crap. I am sure most of the problem was they were all stone cold wasted. I thought that Slash was going to pass out a few times on stage.

Talk about having the world by the horns and letting it all slip away.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk