Texans Sign Antowain Smith - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Texans Sign Antowain Smith

Moderator: Football Moderators

Texans Sign Antowain Smith

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue May 09, 2006 6:44 pm

HOUSTON (May 8, 2006) -- The Houston Texans agreed to terms with running back Antowain Smith, giving the team a backup for starter Domanick Davis.

Last season with the New Orleans Saints, Smith filled in for Deuce McAllister after he suffered a season-ending knee injury and ran for 659 yards and three touchdowns.

The 34-year-old unrestricted free agent, who attended the University of Houston, has 6,881 yards rushing and 54 touchdowns in nine NFL seasons. He has also played for Tennessee, New England and Buffalo.

After passing on Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush in favor of defensive end Mario Williams in the draft, the Texans were in need of another running back. Davis missed five games last season with knee inflammation.

Also, Houston re-signed offensive lineman Zach Wiegert.

Wiegert started five games at right guard and seven games at right tackle last season. The 6-foot-5, 296-pounder missed four games with an ankle injury. He has started 128 games in 11 NFL seasons and has been with the Texans since 2003.

Terms of the deals were not released.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moonhead » Tue May 09, 2006 6:47 pm

hmmm. who will be primary backup to DD?
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby MrTwo94 » Tue May 09, 2006 9:50 pm

I would think Morency. He looked really good at OSU and in his few chances last year. Seems very similar to DD. But now Lundy and Smith are there. I think Smith will be the situational back even if DD gets hurt. Morency should step in a be quite productive as the starter in that scenario.
MrTwo94
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Dadd » Tue May 09, 2006 10:16 pm

MrTwo94 wrote:I would think Morency. He looked really good at OSU and in his few chances last year. Seems very similar to DD. But now Lundy and Smith are there. I think Smith will be the situational back even if DD gets hurt. Morency should step in a be quite productive as the starter in that scenario.

Absolute stud in college, and he's looked good in the action he's gotten. I would think Houston would feel comfortable with him as the primary backup. Smith is on his last legs, situational runner at best.
Dadd
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby skibrett15 » Tue May 09, 2006 10:40 pm

this is how I see this situation and the fantasy relevance: Domanick Davis and Vernand Morency share similar skill sets and running styles. Antowain Smith is a downhill power runner, unlike DD and Morency. Because of this, I think Smith will get more carries while DD is healthy as a change of pace/style back or perhaps in short yardage/specific goaline situations. If DD were to get injured however, the more talented and versatile Morency assumes the feature back role with Smith serving a similar (perhaps mildly enhanced) role as change of pace/goaline runner.

Fantasy-wise: Morency is the handcuff to DD, but if in dire need of someone who will get some touches and is a longshot for a TD/40 yard performance Antowain Smith is the better bet while DD is healthy.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby terpfan » Wed May 10, 2006 12:20 am

Morency is the handcuff (but not really a necessary one outside of deep leagues) Smith might steal a few TDs, but Im not sure how many there will really be to steal.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Horizons » Wed May 10, 2006 9:34 am

Houston
Williams, Mario
DE
6-7
North Carolina State

Ryans, DeMeco
OLB
6-1
Alabama

Spencer, Charles
OT
6-5
Pittsburgh

Winston, Eric
OT
6-6
Miami (Fla.)

Daniels, Owen
TE
6-3
Wisconsin

Lundy, Wali
RB
5-11
Virginia

Anderson, David
WR
5-10
Colorado State
It appears Houston is trying to mend both sides of the line, but something tells me to stay away from DD, AJ, etc.
Are injuries and offensive ineptness tainting my view or will the Texans be the same old fantasy disappointment?
Don't give up the ship...........sell it!!
Horizons
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 12)
Location: Somewhere on the "Trail of Tears" between the tube and GameCenter

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed May 10, 2006 10:29 am

DD's value takes a huge hit. Smith is one of the best backs around...WAIT...I can't do this. What a joke. Why is this guy still getting work? There has got to be a hundred guys out there that can produce better than Antowain, and they are just sitting on their couch. What a waste of cash.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby michaelavelli » Wed May 10, 2006 11:06 am

Sixxgunn wrote:DD's value takes a huge hit. Smith is one of the best backs around...WAIT...I can't do this. What a joke. Why is this guy still getting work? There has got to be a hundred guys out there that can produce better than Antowain, and they are just sitting on their couch. What a waste of cash.

659 yards on 166 carries (4.0 ypc) and 3 TD's last year filling in for Deuce McCallister on a Saints team that was a friggin train wreck.

Start listing the 100 guys available in FA whom can produce better than smith. Smith also signed for 720k - hardly a waste of cash.
michaelavelli
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed May 10, 2006 11:47 am

michaelavelli wrote:
Sixxgunn wrote:DD's value takes a huge hit. Smith is one of the best backs around...WAIT...I can't do this. What a joke. Why is this guy still getting work? There has got to be a hundred guys out there that can produce better than Antowain, and they are just sitting on their couch. What a waste of cash.

659 yards on 166 carries (4.0 ypc) and 3 TD's last year filling in for Deuce McCallister on a Saints team that was a friggin train wreck.

Start listing the 100 guys available in FA whom can produce better than smith. Smith also signed for 720k - hardly a waste of cash.

The point I was trying to make is I would rather take a shot on an undrafted unknown than pay a broken down never was 720,000 smackers to sit on my bench. The most this guy ever did was steal a ring in NE.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to Football Talk