Texans Sign Antowain Smith - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Texans Sign Antowain Smith

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby michaelavelli » Wed May 10, 2006 12:43 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:
michaelavelli wrote:
Sixxgunn wrote:DD's value takes a huge hit. Smith is one of the best backs around...WAIT...I can't do this. What a joke. Why is this guy still getting work? There has got to be a hundred guys out there that can produce better than Antowain, and they are just sitting on their couch. What a waste of cash.

659 yards on 166 carries (4.0 ypc) and 3 TD's last year filling in for Deuce McCallister on a Saints team that was a friggin train wreck.

Start listing the 100 guys available in FA whom can produce better than smith. Smith also signed for 720k - hardly a waste of cash.

The point I was trying to make is I would rather take a shot on an undrafted unknown than pay a broken down never was 720,000 smackers to sit on my bench. The most this guy ever did was steal a ring in NE.

I just gave you his numbers last year - they were very respectable, especially considering the offense he was in.

I also object to the notion that he "stole" a ring in NE. First of all, he has TWO rings, and second of all, Smith was an absolutely crucial part of the 2001 offense. He was not utilized as much in '03, but he did play an important role in the playoffs..to say he "stole" a ring is ridiculous.

As far as taking a "chane on an undrafted FA" than signing an experienced NFL veteran RB for the vet minimum - the Housotn Texans are not your FANTASY TEAM - they're not looking for "UPSIDE". They're looking for some stability, and a downhill runner who clearly, given last year's stats, can still produce decently at the NFL level.
michaelavelli
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Twisted Sister » Wed May 10, 2006 1:46 pm

Yes, it's called depth. You want a vet that can come in and do a decent job without losing the game for you... not a deer in the headlights.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ace08 » Mon May 15, 2006 4:22 pm

Is there any proof (statements from the coaching staff or local papers etc) that A Smith will in fact be the goal line back and vulture DD's TD's? IMO this is huge and I'd like to hear from anyone with solid info on this.....DD is a guy alot of people like if they're slotted with the later picks (#6-10/12) as an RB1 or early 2nd round RB2. Having a goal line back here would definitely drop him in my rankings.
Ace08
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Previous

Return to Football Talk