The Long-Distance Journey of a Fast-Food Order - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

The Long-Distance Journey of a Fast-Food Order

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed May 10, 2006 11:11 am

knapplc wrote:
Jimboozie wrote:You guy's actually read that whole article? :-D

What's wrong with that? :-?

I don't like the whole "Big Brother" setup they're talking about at that call center. Those poor people are scrutinized to within an inch of their sanity in places like that. It seems like an awful way to work. :*)

I worked in a place where they screened calls and kept an eye on phone minutes and things like that when I was in high school. I about went crazy. I'd unhook my headphones so that the calls could still come in, but I wasn't there. My talk time was pretty low, because people would eventually hang up (after being in queue for a while), but not as low as if I hung up immediately on them. I also would keep my phone on and simply walk away. That way, the calls would keep coming in, management would see that I was 'on the phone' and I could get away from it. Eventually management caught on and I was canned, but this went on for about a year or so. Drove me nuts. I feel bad for the dropped calls, but I was seriously going a little crazy.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bagobonez » Sat May 13, 2006 8:25 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
knapplc wrote:

I don't like the whole "Big Brother" setup they're talking about at that call center. Those poor people are scrutinized to within an inch of their sanity in places like that. It seems like an awful way to work. :*)

I worked in a place where they screened calls and kept an eye on phone minutes and things like that when I was in high school. I about went crazy. I'd unhook my headphones so that the calls could still come in, but I wasn't there. My talk time was pretty low, because people would eventually hang up (after being in queue for a while), but not as low as if I hung up immediately on them. I also would keep my phone on and simply walk away. That way, the calls would keep coming in, management would see that I was 'on the phone' and I could get away from it. Eventually management caught on and I was canned, but this went on for about a year or so. Drove me nuts. I feel bad for the dropped calls, but I was seriously going a little crazy.

I TOTALLY feel your pain! I worked in a call center for the local electric company. Most stressful job I've ever had, and probably ever will have. EVERY single call you take, whoever is on the other line is in a pissed off mood (or they wouldn't be calling you to begin with) and you constantly are berated and yelled at, and there's nothing you can really do to defend yourself.

On top of it all, management expects you to be on the phone well over 70% of the total time you are at work, which means you can't really take much time to just stop and de-stress before you've got another incoming call from someone waiting to take your head off.

The funny thing is, 99% of the time the customers had no one to be mad at but themselves. If you don't pay your electric bill, your electricity gets shut off. WHO WOULD HAVE THUNK IT? I tried to tell them... "What happens if you don't make your car payment? They come and re-possess your car, right? Well electricity is no different. You don't pay your bill, we re-possess your electricity."

Want to hear something even funnier? And this is a true story involving a Denver Broncos wide receiver! Chris Cole (I doubt he's even still with the team) called up one day because he hadn't payed his bill and he got his electricity shut off. Lucky me, I got the call. So he's sitting here yelling at me, acting like a prima donna even though he's a 5th string wide receiver. He says, "Man! I've got tropical fish worth thousands of dollars that are going to die if you don't turn my electricity back on!"

My reply... "You can spend thousands of dollars on a tropical fish but you can't spend $150 to pay your electric bill?"

I didn't tack on the fact that he had a 6 figure income.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Canacuna » Sat May 13, 2006 9:47 pm

Working phones sucks... I was a bill-collector for a bit. Ugh. :-t
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat May 13, 2006 10:23 pm

I once had an outgoing telemarketer job while in high school. I think I was selling magazines or something over the phone, I can't remember. Anyway, I called up and a really old lady answered and I asked for her husband (the name on my sheet). She said that he had died. Of course, I felt bad, but she went on and said, "Do you like baseball jokes?" To make a long story short, I was on that call for probably an hour and a half listening to her baseball jokes, of which I cannot remember a single one.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby SeaWolf » Sat May 13, 2006 10:23 pm

bagobonez wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
knapplc wrote:

I TOTALLY feel your pain! I worked in a call center for the local electric company. Most stressful job I've ever had, and probably ever will have. EVERY single call you take, whoever is on the other line is in a pissed off mood (or they wouldn't be calling you to begin with) and you constantly are berated and yelled at, and there's nothing you can really do to defend yourself.

On top of it all, management expects you to be on the phone well over 70% of the total time you are at work, which means you can't really take much time to just stop and de-stress before you've got another incoming call from someone waiting to take your head off.

The funny thing is, 99% of the time the customers had no one to be mad at but themselves. If you don't pay your electric bill, your electricity gets shut off. WHO WOULD HAVE THUNK IT? I tried to tell them... "What happens if you don't make your car payment? They come and re-possess your car, right? Well electricity is no different. You don't pay your bill, we re-possess your electricity."

Want to hear something even funnier? And this is a true story involving a Denver Broncos wide receiver! Chris Cole (I doubt he's even still with the team) called up one day because he hadn't payed his bill and he got his electricity shut off. Lucky me, I got the call. So he's sitting here yelling at me, acting like a prima donna even though he's a 5th string wide receiver. He says, "Man! I've got tropical fish worth thousands of dollars that are going to die if you don't turn my electricity back on!"

My reply... "You can spend thousands of dollars on a tropical fish but you can't spend $150 to pay your electric bill?"

I didn't tack on the fact that he had a 6 figure income.

I used to work at the call center for GTE (phone company for those that don't know). I took billing calls. Yuk!

I too have some funny stories. I took a call from a rookie DT from the Seahawks, he had a $900 phone bill and couldn't pay it. I felt the same way, he has a multi million dollar contact and can't pay his phone bill. :-t

I remember taking a call from a guy who's phone had been shut off. When I looked at his records he had not made a payment in over 90 days. When I advised him of this he said he never got a bill. I tied to get accross to him that when you don't get a phone bill from 3 months that something is wrong and he should contact us. I told him I would recconect his phone for payment in full. }:-)

I also remember a call from a guy who was so anti GTE. We could do nothing right, we were soooo bad, that when he gets a chance to change phone companies he would. When he said that I told him that when the chance come for him to change phone companies to go a head and do so cause we don;t want customers like you. I then hung up on him.

I hated working that call center. Every call was a sales call, even if a 90 yr old grandma was calling cause she couldn't pay her bill. Sucked a$$ did that job. Glad I have moved on.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun May 14, 2006 9:07 am

I had a call from an Asian woman who understood very limited English. In fact, the only word I think she knew was "yes". Because that was her answer for everything. She was booking a suite in Tokyo and I'd ask her a question like 'corner suite' or 'double suite'. She'd respond with "yes". It got to the point, and I know you're not supposed to raise your voice to someone not completely understanding your language, where I was standing and yelling, "It's not a yes or no answer!"
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Previous

Return to General Talk