"Homefield Advantage" in FF??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

"Homefield Advantage" in FF???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Popcynical » Wed May 10, 2006 4:56 pm

I'm a fan of fractional points myself.. don't get many ties with that.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby terpfan » Wed May 10, 2006 4:57 pm

Popcynical wrote:I'm a fan of fractional points myself.. don't get many ties with that.

This is true, but Ive still had it happen. :-o
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Timbathia » Wed May 10, 2006 5:54 pm

We have done it before, but only in playoffs, and not in the championship game. It actually worked pretty well. The key is to make sure it is a fairly small point value compared to the 'average' winning margin in your league. That way it will only influence very close matchups, similar to the effect of home field advantage in an NFL game.

I understand the arguments everyone has against it, and we dont currently use it in any of the leagues I am in now, but in leagues that have a large number of teams making playoffs, it is a good reward for the teams that performed well during the year.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Kensat30 » Wed May 10, 2006 7:13 pm

Home field advantage is stupid. I would never play in a league with a dumb rule like that. If you play with a bunch of pansies that like to play with a handicap, then be my guest. Might as well give +10 points each weekend to the guy with the bigger fro. Maybe give a +5 point bonus for winning paper rock scissors before the first game? Sounds like a winner.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Free Bagel » Wed May 10, 2006 7:22 pm

I dominate rock paper scissors.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby G3_175SE » Tue May 16, 2006 7:13 pm

I would rather see the points from the players the owners selected. Not sure that Home Field is a good idea but if your owners like it go for it.
G3_175SE
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Infidel » Wed May 17, 2006 12:01 am

Kensat30 wrote:Home field advantage is stupid. I would never play in a league with a dumb rule like that. If you play with a bunch of pansies that like to play with a handicap, then be my guest. Might as well give +10 points each weekend to the guy with the bigger fro. Maybe give a +5 point bonus for winning paper rock scissors before the first game? Sounds like a winner.

Could not agree more. I don't mind ties in regular season, it adds to the playoff race. I use fractional scoring (.01) in the playoffs to avoid ties.

I played in a league with home field advantage once. For 1 year. It was so stupid.

The league I have run for 10+ years uses regular scoring during the year, fractional during playoffs and as a last tie breaker the playoff selection process for ties. Everyone is happy.

I have only 3 words for "home field advantage"......gay, gay and gay. But, other than that, I don't have much of an opinion on the issue.
CheeseWhiz is a great substitute for plazma.
Infidel
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby ampant » Wed May 17, 2006 12:24 am

Kensat30 wrote:Might as well give +10 points each weekend to the guy with the bigger fro.

Dude, That's a good idea. ;-D

I'm with the majority here. I think it's a lame idea. W/L should be based on points, not some arbitrary rule somebody pulled out of their butt. Especially of there's $$ involved. :-t
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Twisted Sister » Wed May 17, 2006 12:57 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Based on the responses, I will not propose this rule change.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Stelly » Wed May 17, 2006 1:46 pm

Twisted Sister wrote:Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Based on the responses, I will not propose this rule change.

I can't see it going over to well. But, if it seems like everyone in your league likes the idea, than go for it! That's what's great about FF - every league is different, and that's part of what makes it fun!

In my opinion, the only reason there is a "home team" in Fantasy Football is so owners can talk smack. ;-D
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk