EWs Top 20 scariest movies ever - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

EWs Top 20 scariest movies ever

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Atog » Wed May 10, 2006 7:46 pm

THE SHINING (1980) Directed by Stanley Kubrick
Kubrick's adaptation of Stephen King's novel about the Torrance family's headlong plunge into insanity during a secluded Colorado winter remains better known for its T-shirt quotables (''Heeeere's Johnny!'' ''All work and no play make Jack a dull boy'') than as a beautiful and pleasing horror film. It's a shame. With a haunting score, luscious, near-eternal Steadicam shots, and Jack Nicholson's grand pirouette into murderous madness at its heart, it's one of the most artful horror films in history. Not everyone, of course, thinks so. King was famously put off by the adaptation, remarking, ''I think [Kubrick] wants to hurt people with this movie.'' (He made his own six-hour TV version in 1997.)

;-D

Jaws is much too high.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tiki » Wed May 10, 2006 8:41 pm

Never seen the last one or Rose Mary's Baby, but the rest I like. Jaws is too high, but when I was little I use to think that there were sharks in all waters, including the many lakes of Minnesota so I guess it did it's job. The Hicther is a very good Horror movie, glad to see it make the list. Silence of the lambs is just a damn good movie overall, but never really concidered it a horror movie, I always thoghut it was a thriller. LOVE HORROR MOVIES!!! I think an underrated horror movie is "The Sixth Sense" that movie is creepy as hell! :-o

Edit-P.S. I own an Evil Dead Poster, movie rocks! ;-D
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Wed May 10, 2006 10:47 pm

Se7en's not really scary... suspenseful maybe, but scary?
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mutantseabass » Wed May 10, 2006 10:58 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:I have to agree with Moonhead about Audition not being on the list. Anyone who has seen that film will understand how absolutely disturbing that movie is. It will leave you in horror for weeks on end.

The only reason i could think of for Audition or Haute Tension not to be on that list would be they are both realitively newer films. I do agree that both should be on the list. I think Amityville should have made the list too but i may be alone on that one.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Thu May 11, 2006 5:28 am

Jaws definitely deserves to be top 5. The movie really scared people, plain and simple, everyone got a little uneasy going into the ocean because of that movie. I haven't seen any horror film have such an effect on how people act in the real world.

Some of these movies are kind of suspiciously there, like Seven (more of the plot-twist genre like Sixth Sense than anything), and they're missing a big one in the horror genre:

Alien.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu May 11, 2006 7:22 am

I haven't seen too many of those. I've watched some newer ones since my wife likes them, but I don't really get into them. I remember seeing Halloween (I think it was the first one) when I was about 14 or so though. It freaked me out. I thought about the hospital scenes on a regular basis for about 2 weeks.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu May 11, 2006 9:02 am

yeah, Audition is pretty disturbing to watch.

i really dont have any issues with the list, alhough Seven and Silence i dont really consider Horror movies

it's not too scary, but Peter Jacksons Dead Alive (sometimes called Brain Dead is pretty sweet

i'm sure if i went home and browsed my DVD's i could find something else that should be on there...hell, i'd rather see House of 1000 Corpses or Devil's Rejects on there than Lost Highway (never saw, but i kind of like Lynch)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Horizons » Thu May 11, 2006 9:39 am

Bout my least favorite movie genre so I'm no expert, but the list looks pretty solid. I'd rate THE EXORCIST as the scariest movie of all-time thought. If her head spinning around doesn't freak the liv'in @$#%^&$# out of you, you're not alive.. 8-o
Don't give up the ship...........sell it!!
Horizons
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 12)
Location: Somewhere on the "Trail of Tears" between the tube and GameCenter

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu May 11, 2006 10:22 am

Horizons wrote:Bout my least favorite movie genre so I'm no expert, but the list looks pretty solid. I'd rate THE EXORCIST as the scariest movie of all-time thought. If her head spinning around doesn't freak the liv'in @$#%^&$# out of you, you're not alive.. 8-o

See, but you know it's fake. I mean they're all fake, but a spinning head? Those movies didn't frighten me too much.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby The_Captain » Thu May 11, 2006 1:39 pm

I was sorta expecting to see the first "Friday the 13th" which scared the bejesus out of me and "Alien" make the list.

I agree Seven and Silence of the Lambs weren't really "horror" movies, IMO - more Suspenseful Thrillers, IMO.

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk