eBay bid earns fan a spot in Indoor Football - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

eBay bid earns fan a spot in Indoor Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

eBay bid earns fan a spot in Indoor Football

Postby Verdun Barbarians » Thu May 11, 2006 12:58 pm

That guy's gonna get killed! O:-)

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Danny Massier may be the world's biggest fan of the National Indoor Football League. He often makes road trips to games from his home in Saskatchewan, Canada, even collects game-worn jerseys.

The next one will be his own.

Massier, a 43-year-old steel company clerk, bid $1,326 in an eBay auction to win the right to suit up for St. Louis' entry in the 22-team league in a June 23 home game against the Tennessee Riversharks.

Massier's winning bid entitles him to a one-game contract, practice time with the team, 20 tickets and honorary captain status.

And, yes, he'll get to play. As part of the deal, Massier will be part of the kickoff coverage team throughout the first quarter.

"I want to go down and stick my nose in there and try to get in on the tackle," Massier said. "It's my 15 minutes of fame _ literally, it is 15 minutes."

Massier and his mother often travel to the states to see games live -- the league runs from mid-March through early July. He follows the NFL and Canadian Football League, too, but prefers the up-close feel of the indoor game.

Talk about getting up close.

"My mom is a little bit worried about me getting hurt, but she thinks it's fabulous," Massier said. "She knows how much I love this game."

Massier hasn't played organized tackle football since before high school, though he often finds himself at receiver in neighborhood touch football games. At 5-foot-9 and 195 pounds, he's all but certain he'll be the slowest guy on the field -- the indoor league may not be the NFL or even the Arena Football League, but many of the players were collegiate standouts.

A league spokesman said the NIFL has no rules about how a team fills its game-day roster. Players are normally paid $200 per game, but Massier will not be paid.

To prepare for his shot at glory, Massier has continued his normal workout regimen -- lunchtime games of floor hockey.

Rage spokesman Allen Gossett has been in frequent contact with Massier and described him as "stoked."

"He is ready to roll," Gossett said. "He wants to get out there and take his lumps."

Massier has already told the Rage he wants to buy the helmet and pads so his entire uniform can join his collection of NIFL memorabilia.

"I'll have the ultimate game-used jersey -- one with my name on my back," he said.

Link
Verdun Barbarians
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Balanced Man » Thu May 11, 2006 1:00 pm

That's Awsome! I would love to see the plays he is in on. Everyone else will be down the field and he will be lagging behind, until he gets crushed... }:-)

Really cool. ;-D
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu May 11, 2006 2:45 pm

i might actually watch that game to see the guy get knocked out on the first play. :-b
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Dirt Bag » Thu May 11, 2006 2:52 pm

that would be pretty fun...maybe :-?
Dirt Bag
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu May 11, 2006 3:26 pm

That would be awesome. You guys can't tell me you wouldn't want a shot at that. He might get crushed, but at least he'll get to get in there and be a part of it, if even for a short time.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Verdun Barbarians » Thu May 11, 2006 3:37 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:That would be awesome. You guys can't tell me you wouldn't want a shot at that. He might get crushed, but at least he'll get to get in there and be a part of it, if even for a short time.

I don't have $1,300 + to spend on that... ;-)
Verdun Barbarians
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby The Balanced Man » Thu May 11, 2006 3:41 pm

I know a pro team would never do it, but I would love it if the Browns did. I'd go get crushed one play for a one day contract, uniform, etc... ;-D ;-D ;-D
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu May 11, 2006 4:19 pm

Verdun Barbarians wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:That would be awesome. You guys can't tell me you wouldn't want a shot at that. He might get crushed, but at least he'll get to get in there and be a part of it, if even for a short time.

Right, I wouldn't probably pay that much. I don't know. If I was given the chance for an X amount of $ to play a series with the Huskers or Niners I might do it. Yeah, I probably would. I weigh in at about 150 so you know I'd get crushed. !+)
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Thu May 11, 2006 4:45 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Verdun Barbarians wrote:

Right, I wouldn't probably pay that much. I don't know. If I was given the chance for an X amount of $ to play a series with the Huskers or Niners I might do it. Yeah, I probably would. I weigh in at about 150 so you know I'd get crushed. !+)

I'm 6'3" and I weigh 315, so I could hang in the line for a bit with some of those guys -- oh, wait... that's right, I'm 35 years old.

I'd probably better watch from the seats, after all. :-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Thu May 11, 2006 7:44 pm

I would so do that... But screw kick off coverage, I want to play wide receiver!

(Provided Im two hand touch) :-)
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk