Help me fill my Ipod... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Help me fill my Ipod...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Slingblade » Thu May 11, 2006 7:29 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:Flotsam & Jetsam: Doomsday For The Deceiver (1986)
Flotsam & Jetsam: No Place For Disgrace (1988)
Flotsam & Jetsam: When The Storm Comes Down (1990)
Flotsam & Jetsam: Cuatro (1992)
Flotsam & Jetsam: Drift (1995)
Flotsam & Jetsam: High (1997)
Flotsam & Jetsam: Unnatural Selection (1999)
Flotsam & Jetsam: My God (2001)
Flotsam & Jetsam: Dreams Of Death (2005)

Well....what did you expect? :-b ;-D

I have never heard them. What album do you suggest to first listen to ,so I can get a feel for them?
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dolfin99 » Thu May 11, 2006 7:41 pm

Figures :-b
Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig.
Dolfin99

EditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Rover » Thu May 11, 2006 8:59 pm

moonhead wrote:the flaming lips - yoshimi battles the pink robots
modest mouse - the moon and antarctica
the velvet underground and nico
unified theory - unified theory

The Moon and Antarctica is ;-D . Also check out these too:

Modest Mouse - Building Nothing out of Something
Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
Nonpoint - To the Pain

As for favorite albums I would go with:

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
The Who - Quadrophenia
Rover
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Tiki » Thu May 11, 2006 10:43 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I love Power in Numbers. Great choice. ;-D
This is a hip-hop starter CD I made, if you don't have any of these songs, get them ASAP.

1. A Tribe Called Quest - Scenario
2. Mobb Deep - Shook One Pt. II
3. Nas - It Ain't Hard to Tell
4. Blackstar - Thieves in the Night
5. Jay-Z ft. Biggie Smalls - Brooklyn's Finest
6. Big Daddy Kane - Ain't No Half-Steppin'
7. Boogie Down Productions - South Bronx
8. Big L - MVP
9. Biggie Smalls - Juicy
10. Pete Rock and CL Smooth - They Reminisce Over You
11. Gangstarr - All 4 Tha Cash
12. Rakim & Eric B. - Paid in Full
13. Souls of Mischief - '93 Til Infinity
14. Wutang Clan - C.R.E.A.M.
15. 2Pac - Brenda's Got a Baby
16. Slick Rick - Children's Story
17. Smiff N Wessun - Bucktown
18. Dead Prez - Hip Hop
19. Dre and Snoop - Ain't Nothin' But a G Thang
20. Outkast - Southern Playalistic Cadillac Funky Music
That is a good ass CD right there, I have everyone of those songs on my comp. But I think I would make a few changes, but still get the basics covered.
Tupac-On the block we still pray
Big L-Put it on
Notorios B.I.G-Gimme tha loot
OutKast-ATLiens
Tribe Called Quest-Buggin' Out

Still a sweet list none the less!!!!
;-D

But if you're into a different kind of rap, MF Doom Madvillainy or VV2. It's more trippy in a different explantion, but it covers everything gangsta, video games, comics, Food (Off the MMM..Food album), Road Rage, and a lot more. If you're lloking for new rap I would try, Game-The Documentary Ludacris-Word of Mouf. If you like fast rap try Twista and Bone Thugs N Harmony-greatest hits, if you have heard Biggie and like Biggie I highly suggest Ready to Die. You love funk beats and just bomb westcoast beats with good rapping, The Chronic and The Chronic 2001. If you like Souther Rap I would try T.I.-King or Scareface-The Fix or The Untouchable. If you like Nas' smooth voice The Lost tapes, if you like old school try the Ultrmagnetic MC's, or if you like Old School Gangsta rap try NWA greatest hits. Beastie Boys-Paul Boutique.
If you like scratch try The X-ecutioners-Built from Scratch, or if you just like funky, trippy (not really rap beats, kinda like scratching, but still kinda hip-hop) beats try DJ Shadow.

ANY OF WU-TANGS MORE FAMOUS CDS!!!!
Gza-liquids Swords
Reakwon the Chef-Only built For Cuban Linx
Method Man-Tical
The Wu-Tang Clan-36 chambers, WU-Tang Forever, The W and Wu-Tang Meets the Indie Culture-Think Differently Music! ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D!!

If you want beef than Bring Da Ruckus! Wu-Tang Clan ain't nuttin' to F' Wit!

P.S.-Never forget Mo-Town either!
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu May 11, 2006 10:44 pm

Slingblade wrote:

I have never heard them. What album do you suggest to first listen to ,so I can get a feel for them?

If you took a poll of people who knew all 9 albums (insert joke here on how it would only be like 3 people), "No Place For Disgrace" would probably be the favorite. They do a kick ass cover on there of Elton John's "Saturday Nights Alright For Fighting". I'd also recommend "When The Storm Comes Down", "Cuatro", "Drift", or "High" as a good starting place.

Obviously I'm biased because I love them all, but those 5 would be the 1st ones I gave to someone to try and get someone into them. "Doomsday" is their heaviest and a little raw. "Unnatural Selection" is good but probably my least favorite. "My God" is good but I think the earlier albums capture their energy a little better. "Dreams Of Death" is awesome. It's kinda like "The Wall" in that the entire album revolves around telling 1 story. It's about a psychotic killer who can't tell if his dreams are real or not.

They're not for everyone but if you like ANY 80's thrash/heavy metal, you'll like Flotsam & Jetsam. ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Popcynical » Thu May 11, 2006 11:33 pm

Canacuna wrote:I dug Slightly Stoopid's 'Acoustic Roots Live & Direct' more than those, but I definitely agree with the recommendation. ;-D

W00t! Another Stoopid fan.

I used to listen to the Acoustic Roots CD so much I've kinda burnt out on it. So I listen to the new stuff a lot more.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri May 12, 2006 7:22 am

Go with as much 80s music you can find. Load up on the greatest hits from major artists during the decade, and focus on the one hit wonders so to speak to fill in any gaps. That's the strategy I've used, and I still find a few songs here or there I didn't have before.

PM me if you want the list or 'master spreadsheet'. ;-D

I've been into finding the more upscure 80s soundtracks lately. Revenge of the Nerds, etc. that you just can't seem to find in the stores.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Fri May 12, 2006 8:18 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
Slingblade wrote:

If you took a poll of people who knew all 9 albums (insert joke here on how it would only be like 3 people), "No Place For Disgrace" would probably be the favorite. They do a kick ass cover on there of Elton John's "Saturday Nights Alright For Fighting". I'd also recommend "When The Storm Comes Down", "Cuatro", "Drift", or "High" as a good starting place.

Obviously I'm biased because I love them all, but those 5 would be the 1st ones I gave to someone to try and get someone into them. "Doomsday" is their heaviest and a little raw. "Unnatural Selection" is good but probably my least favorite. "My God" is good but I think the earlier albums capture their energy a little better. "Dreams Of Death" is awesome. It's kinda like "The Wall" in that the entire album revolves around telling 1 story. It's about a psychotic killer who can't tell if his dreams are real or not.

They're not for everyone but if you like ANY 80's thrash/heavy metal, you'll like Flotsam & Jetsam. ;-D

I would recommend Cuatro for someone just getting into FNJ. Its still heavy and melodic at the same time. If you dig it then the older stuff is bit harder and edgier IMO. Flotsam is an incredible live band too.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri May 12, 2006 8:47 am

Morphine - Cure for Pain
David Bowie - whatever you can find
Sly and the Family Stone
Cat Stevens
White Stripes
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri May 12, 2006 12:28 pm

mutantseabass wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:
Slingblade wrote:

I would recommend Cuatro for someone just getting into FNJ. Its still heavy and melodic at the same time. If you dig it then the older stuff is bit harder and edgier IMO. Flotsam is an incredible live band too.

Good call there MSB. ;-D

It's hard for me to pick just 1 but I think you're right. Try Cuatro and then if you like that you can go back and try some of the earlier heavier albums. Also, if you like Cuatro you should like the latter albums as well. Let us know what you think Sling (or anyone else for that matter ;-) )!

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk