Is Jimmy Smith Hall Of Fame Worthy? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Jimmy Smith Hall Of Fame Worthy?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is Jimmy Smith A Hall of Famer?

Yes
61%
No
39%

Total votes : 74

Is Jimmy Smith Hall Of Fame Worthy?

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu May 11, 2006 5:28 pm

Personally, I think he's a no-brainer, but I do realize the rest of the football world doesn't always agree with me. That said, let's poll the cafe and see how people here feel. Before you rattle off a vote, let me give you some numbers to chew on.

In a 13 year NFL career, Jimmy Smith recorded:

862 Receptions (7th all-time) No Hall of Famer has more receptions than Smith.

12,287 Recieving Yards (11th all-time)

67 Touchdowns (31st all-time)

Led the NFL in receptions in 1999 with 116.

Twice had over 100 receptions in a season (1999 and 2001)

Nine times recorded at least 1,000 yards in a season.

Only Marvin Harrison has recorded more catches since 1996.

Five straight times AFC Pro Bowler. (1997-2001)

43 career 100 yard games, plus two in the playoffs.

In Nine postseason games, Smith recorded 40 catches for 647 yards and seven scores.

Two-time Super Bowl Champion with the Dallas Cowboys (92-93)
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mutantseabass » Thu May 11, 2006 5:35 pm

I voted yes but im kind of torn on the matter. I do think that Smith is worthy of the Hall. He had a nice career, excellent stats, consistent performer but i also think that Art Monk deserves to be in the Hall. I would like to see Monk get in before Smith does, but i think both deserve to be in.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu May 11, 2006 5:37 pm

those stats are pretty impressive. the only thing that sticks out is that the touchdown total doesnt really bode well for him, but 116 receptions in one season??? dam, thats gotta be close to the record for season receptions. i think he makes it in, maybe not on first ballot, but he makes it in.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby houstonherdfan » Thu May 11, 2006 5:40 pm

I think yes he is. Depending on who else he will go up against he might not get in in his first elegible year.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby CC » Thu May 11, 2006 5:41 pm

Yes he is. Not a first ballot HOFer though.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby UNDEFEATED » Thu May 11, 2006 5:42 pm

Mr. Consistency.

Either you are a HOFamer or not...

first-second-third-fourth ballot....is all BS. What does it matter when you get voted in. All it really does is give those old fogies in the HOF office something to do.

Keep it short and simple...yes or no...screw all that 1st 2nd stuff.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby jayday » Thu May 11, 2006 5:48 pm

Of course he is....The stats speak for themselves....He will likely have to wait a ballot or two, but it's a no brainer in my eyes as well...
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu May 11, 2006 5:49 pm

UNDEFEATED wrote:Mr. Consistency.

Either you are a HOFamer or not...

first-second-third-fourth ballot....is all BS. What does it matter when you get voted in. All it really does is give those old fogies in the HOF office something to do.

Keep it short and simple...yes or no...screw all that 1st 2nd stuff.

Well said. ;-D I think it's sweet to see a 9-0 vote in Smith's favor at this point. Just for the record, Merrill Hoge doesn't think Smith is a Hall of Famer, further proving what an ignorant ass Hoge is. I can't stand that guy.

Also, Steelerfan asked about Smith 116 receptions in a season. Marvin Harrison's 143 rank #1 for most in a season. Smith 116 ranks 8th most in a single season.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Thu May 11, 2006 5:51 pm

I have to admit to being unaware of some of the lofty stats he has put up, but I just don't think HOF when I think of Jimmy Smith. His stats are more of a product of consistancy and a more pass happy era.
How do these numbers hit you:
66 receptions, 945 yards, and 5 TDs.
Would you call that a HOF season? That is Smith's average season. He was a very good receiver who (with chemical help at some point) played a long time.

Is he deserving of a spot in the HOF? I don't think so.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby maddog60 » Thu May 11, 2006 5:52 pm

I dont think he'll get in, but I think he's worthy. I liken him to McNair. A guy who was great, but may not have the leverage to get in with all the other greats that will be elected into the Hall instead.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk