Is Jimmy Smith Hall Of Fame Worthy? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Jimmy Smith Hall Of Fame Worthy?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is Jimmy Smith A Hall of Famer?

Yes
61%
No
39%

Total votes : 74

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri May 12, 2006 6:27 pm

I guess the real question here is, should the Pro Football Hall of Fame have questionable members like Charlie Joiner, James Lofton, Lynn Swann, John Stallworth and the like? My point is, since these men are in the Hall of Fame, why can't a player like Monk or Jimmy Smith be allowed in since their numbers are comparable to the aforementioned Hall of Fame inductees? I don't think there's any question that Monk and Smith have the numbers to either match or exceed most anything those four HOF'ers have done.

Look, I am not a fan of the Hall of Fame's from either baseball or football because of the comparison game we're all playing right now. But if players like Joiner and Swann are in the Hall, I think it's only fair that we are allowed to use them both as a measuring stick.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Fri May 12, 2006 8:19 pm

Not even close.

You guys must realize that it's not the Hall of Very Good. It's not the baseball Hall of Everyone. This is the NFL Hall of Fame. Champions and superstars only please. It's not about numbers. Once again: it's not about numbers.

Sorry Jimmy, buy a ticket like everybody else.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat May 13, 2006 2:31 am

Kensat30 wrote:Not even close.

You guys must realize that it's not the Hall of Very Good. It's not the baseball Hall of Everyone. This is the NFL Hall of Fame. Champions and superstars only please. It's not about numbers. Once again: it's not about numbers.

Ok, since it's not about the numbers, what is it about? I realize there's more to it than numbers, but explain why players like Charlie Joiner and Lynn Swann are in the Hall?
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sat May 13, 2006 9:41 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Not even close.

Ok, since it's not about the numbers, what is it about? I realize there's more to it than numbers, but explain why players like Charlie Joiner and Lynn Swann are in the Hall?

Joiner I have no idea, don't know that he should be in the HOF anyhow.

But I have seen Swann's amazing catches in clips of old SuperBowls and when the do old Stiller vids. Big plays on a big stage. He had the ability to contort his body and make a catch like none other, and had speed and leaping ability that made him a lethal weapon.

His numbers weren't great as others becuase he played in a different era, and on a team that emphasized the run first for half of his career.

I don't recall any significand Jimmy Smith highlights.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Free Bagel » Sat May 13, 2006 11:56 am

terpfan wrote:If Jimmy Smith gets in before Art Monk, I will kill someone.

Not it.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Sat May 13, 2006 12:44 pm

No I don't think so. He has good stats, but he never really was that amazing, just consistent.

He was a very good player, but for the Hall you have to be special IMO.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby eaglesrule » Sat May 13, 2006 1:04 pm

the only problem with saying "if someone is in, then ..."

is that once there is a mistake, there is no way to correct it. Meaning, if someone unworthy gets in (or shouldn;t be in) then anyone better than that person subsequently should get in, and that is problematic.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat May 13, 2006 2:17 pm

Getting into the Hall isn't exactly an easy process, so having someone like Charlie Joiner be called a mistake seems like a cop-out to me. He needed an extraordinary amount of votes to get in and he did. I see everyone's arguement against Smith and I have to say, I do respect them all even though I was hard against them early on. I just feel he deserves to get in when you hold him up against other Hall of Famers. If indeed the Hall made a mistake by adding non-worthy Hall members, then that's on them.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby eaglesrule » Sat May 13, 2006 3:19 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Getting into the Hall isn't exactly an easy process, so having someone like Charlie Joiner be called a mistake seems like a cop-out to me. He needed an extraordinary amount of votes to get in and he did. I see everyone's arguement against Smith and I have to say, I do respect them all even though I was hard against them early on. I just feel he deserves to get in when you hold him up against other Hall of Famers. If indeed the Hall made a mistake by adding non-worthy Hall members, then that's on them.

i nver mentioned joyner or otherwise.

My point was that the bar shouldn't necessarily be set at the worst person to play the postion that did make it in.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby FantasyMan13 » Sat May 13, 2006 5:03 pm

maddog60 wrote:I dont think he'll get in, but I think he's worthy. I liken him to McNair. A guy who was great, but may not have the leverage to get in with all the other greats that will be elected into the Hall instead.

I agree 100%
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk