Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii or PS3? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii or PS3?

Moderator: Football Moderators

What console are you most looking forward to?

Xbox 360
40%
Nintendo Wii
28%
PS3
32%
I don't play video games
No votes

Total votes : 25

Postby Twisted Sister » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:51 am

Free Bagel and others buying the PS3 - don't get the $499 model... you won't be able to play future generation movies in HD format.

"Cutting straight to the chase, the $499 PS3 will not be able to play Blu-ray movies in 1080p High-Definition the moment Blu-ray DVDs begin implementing ICP. "

http://gear.ign.com/articles/709/709495p1.html[/i]
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:45 pm

Twisted Sister wrote:Free Bagel and others buying the PS3 - don't get the $499 model... you won't be able to play future generation movies in HD format.

"Cutting straight to the chase, the $499 PS3 will not be able to play Blu-ray movies in 1080p High-Definition the moment Blu-ray DVDs begin implementing ICP. "

http://gear.ign.com/articles/709/709495p1.html[/i]

Everyone that went through the process of buying an HDTV realizes this I'm sure ;). No HDMI on the cheaper version.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Twisted Sister » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:32 am

I heard on the news the other night that there were over 25Million US homes that are now HD. I think there are going to be a lot of PO'd sony customers in about 1-2 years... the ones who got the cheaper version because Sony mainly highlights the 20gig harddrive difference.

I wouldn't want to be in their living room when they go to play the HD movie for the first time... my ears can't handle that type of language.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:13 pm

Twisted Sister wrote:I heard on the news the other night that there were over 25Million US homes that are now HD. I think there are going to be a lot of PO'd sony customers in about 1-2 years... the ones who got the cheaper version because Sony mainly highlights the 20gig harddrive difference.

I wouldn't want to be in their living room when they go to play the HD movie for the first time... my ears can't handle that type of language.

Again, buying an HDTV is no task for the un-informed nowadays. If someone went through that process they should know what HDMI is, and there's no way they could blame anyone but themselves for dropping a half a grand on something they obviously knew nothing about.

It's like when I was car shopping and hung out at the forums for the car I was looking at and people would come on there and say "I just bought this car but I just realized that mine doesn't have cruise control and it has the old rims", or even "I have x, y, and z option on the car I just purchased, which trim did I get"? How people drop wads of cash without taking 10 minutes to learn anything about what they're buying is beyond me, and there is no way in hell I'm gonna feel bad for that type of person when their own laziness and naivete bites them in the ass.

Not to mention, none of the other consoles play any form of HD movies (HD-DVD or Blu-Ray) out of the box at all, so I don't see how the PS3 only playing them in one of its two versions is a negative :confused:
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:22 pm

Anyhow back to the topic at hand, having just purchased a beautiful 61" 1080p HDTV with a PC that could never run games at 1920x1080 and being a sucker for a good deal, I jumped on a deal I found for the Xbox 360 platinum (HD, wireless controller, etc) for $342 shipped.

So looks like I'll either have all 3 now, or end up selling the 360 when the others come out.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:05 pm

Well....time for some first impressions of the Xbox 360.

Even upon buying the console I knew that none of the games out really excited me. However this is my first time on XBox Live and as much as I shrugged it off before I really have to say, Microsoft definitely has the future figured out here.

I mean, I just can't get over how damned convenient this thing is. Xbox arcade has some fun stuff (including Geometry Wars which is tons of fun), and you can download and buy stuff straight from the console which is always connected online through some easy as heck to navigate menus.

And the best part is there are all kinds of free downloads like game previews and more importantly game demos. Good thing they give a month free of xbox Live gold because I was never planning to buy it but now I certainly will be, the money I save on rentals to try the games out will more than make up the difference. And with the new update I can now download 6 things at a time in the background all while playing a game? Wow, nifty.

My only regrets are that I didn't know about this before (I rushed out to buy a game when I saw my 360 was coming in today so I would have something to play when it arrived....little did I know I'd be able to try out 80% of the games ahead of time), and that the HD is pretty small (each demo is about a gig in size and I believe the HD is only around 20gigs total).

So far so good. Heck, I can even watch current movie trailers on this thing. Cool..

I wasn't going in expecting much, but color me impressed.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby BrutallyHuge » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:50 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:
BrutallyHuge wrote:Umm...$600 for a console? My computer cost well less than that.

I might pick up a XBOX360 if the price drops. No Wii or PS3 for me.

The Wii is 200 dollars (I think?). Hardly a rip for a launch system.

I'm referring the the PS3's price, guy. I'm well-aware of the Wii's price.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Twisted Sister » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:10 am

Anybody remember the NeoGeo Advanced Entertainment System... debuted at $599 and each game was $200+

And that was in 1990!!

At the time, I dreamed of owning that system... "dreamed"

It's still fetching about $200 on Ebay... and it's only a 16bit system.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HomeyJJ » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:06 pm

Gonna go with a PS3 eventually. $600 is just way to expensive though. Gonna wait till the price drops to somewhere between $350-$450.

When your team is losing, stick by them. Keep believing." - Bo Schembechler
--HERE WE GO LIONS, HERE WE GO!
HomeyJJ
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Previous

Return to Video Games