Controversial School Cell Phone Ban... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Controversial School Cell Phone Ban...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby HskrPwr13 » Sun May 14, 2006 10:29 am

Cell phone = convenience, nothing more

My 18 yr old doesnt own a cell phone because she doesnt want to pay for one yet. Prior to being 18 she wasnt allowed to have one. I, along with everyone else in my age bracket, survived without a cellphone. Most people who carry them today could easily survive without one, but either have become addicted to its convenience or they still consider it a status symbol. Could you imagine, back in the day, if we could've brought to school a device that lets you play games or what not? Ya, it wouldve been sweet, but even more so it wouldve been a distraction.

As far as NYers go, I'm not gonna try to delve into their 9/11 psyche. But that was a national tradgedy, not just a NY one. And also, other disasters like tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes and such happen yearly in other parts of the country and those events are every bit as damaging to the local psyche as I'm sure 9/11 is to NYers. Growing up in Omaha, I never once heard anybody screaming about what would happen if a tornado hit while I was at school. The school would handle things til I could get back in touch with my parents. Dont use 9/11 as an excuse for claiming that your kid needs to bring an electronic toy, er cell phone, to school.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Sun May 14, 2006 10:43 am

In the 1800s kids grew up without electricity, just because something isn't a necessity doesn't mean it isn't good to have.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Sun May 14, 2006 10:47 am

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:In the 1800s kids grew up without electricity, just because something isn't a necessity doesn't mean it isn't good to have.

Hmmm.....electricity v. cell phone. Ya thats an equal comparison in terms of need versus convenience. ;-7
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Goatwhacker » Sun May 14, 2006 11:07 am

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
School is not just to learn, it's where the majority of peer-to-peer relationships are formed for kids and is the primary place that kids make friends with other kids.

Maybe the kids could actually talk face-to-face.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun May 14, 2006 11:14 am

Cell phones are good for emergencies, but people use them all the time. When I was in school no one had a cell phone, and I think things were fine. If I needed a ride, I got on the pay phone and called home. If my parents knew I was going to need a ride later, I went to the pay phone, rang the phone twice, and then hung up to get my quarter back. My parents came to get me after that. It's really an easy system...
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Popcynical » Sun May 14, 2006 11:24 am

Mercer Boy wrote:Cell phones are good for emergencies, but people use them all the time. When I was in school no one had a cell phone, and I think things were fine. If I needed a ride, I got on the pay phone and called home. If my parents knew I was going to need a ride later, I went to the pay phone, rang the phone twice, and then hung up to get my quarter back. My parents came to get me after that. It's really an easy system...

Most kids these days don't know how to use pay phones.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Sun May 14, 2006 12:06 pm

Goatwhacker wrote:
School is not just to learn, it's where the majority of peer-to-peer relationships are formed for kids and is the primary place that kids make friends with other kids.

Maybe the kids could actually talk face-to-face.

I wasn't actually addressing the cell phone issue there, I was talking about how school is for more than just learning.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun May 14, 2006 12:21 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:phones are a necessity for many students, especially those who often make last-minute plans with friends to socialize after school.

This doesn't sound like a necessity.

Kids are in school to learn. Cellphones are a distraction. This goes for everything. If I'm in a meeting with work, I politely turn my phone off. I would imagine at a number of jobs, they aren't even allowed. School is to prepare kids for real life. In real life, you have to compromise.

That is part of learning. Kids learn a lot more than just history and algebra. They learn how to get along with different types of people.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Tiki » Sun May 14, 2006 12:33 pm

I don't see the need to ban them....Just have the kids turn them off during school or put them on vibrate. At my school as long as the deans and teachers don't see or hear them we can have them in our pocket/backpack. There is no need to completely ban them. And the argurment that "we didn't have them in my day..." is complete BS. Many of you also didnt have computers with complete access to the internet or e-mail or any of those good things, that kids use for school to do research, send in a project to a teacher, or just keep in touch about your grade if it is bad. To be honest cell phones arent that big of a distraction unless the teacher lets it be. If the teacher don't take the cell phone or tell them to turn it off, you have a teaching problem, which causes a cell phone problem!
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PackerAttack84 » Sun May 14, 2006 1:06 pm

At our school the rule is that your allowed to use them before and after school, but during class and breaks your not suppose to have then out. Not that anyone really follows that.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk