Controversial School Cell Phone Ban... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Controversial School Cell Phone Ban...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun May 14, 2006 1:11 pm

PackerAttack84 wrote:At our school the rule is that your allowed to use them before and after school, but during class and breaks your not suppose to have then out. Not that anyone really follows that.

Exactly. This is probably why they had to ban them.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby HskrPwr13 » Sun May 14, 2006 1:19 pm

Tiki wrote:I don't see the need to ban them....Just have the kids turn them off during school or put them on vibrate. At my school as long as the deans and teachers don't see or hear them we can have them in our pocket/backpack. There is no need to completely ban them. And the argurment that "we didn't have them in my day..." is complete BS. Many of you also didnt have computers with complete access to the internet or e-mail or any of those good things, that kids use for school to do research, send in a project to a teacher, or just keep in touch about your grade if it is bad. To be honest cell phones arent that big of a distraction unless the teacher lets it be. If the teacher don't take the cell phone or tell them to turn it off, you have a teaching problem, which causes a cell phone problem!

Good point that the teacher should address the issue, but then we have parents ticked at the school (this would include teachers) for taking a stand against it. When you live in a society where everyones rights have to be taken into consideration, then the governing bodies have to manage to the idiots. You and 90% of kids may use the phones responsibly, but the other 10% cause enough of a distraction that it can affect the other 90%s ability to learn most effectively. Ones right to carry a cell phone stops at the point where its use has a negative effect on another.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jayday » Sun May 14, 2006 1:23 pm

Solution...Turn them off at school/in class!....Cell phones are not a distraction unless the teachers/students let them be.....I would not support the ban....Cell phones offer big advantages as far as getting a hold of your parents for after school plans....

Not every teacher is just going to let you go to the office to call your parents to let them know practice time changed/where you're going/etc....."Go next period" they say....Next period rolls around "Go next period"....On and on....It's not their problem, why should they let you interrupt their class time.....

You can forget going to the office during the 3 minutes inbetween classes....And good luck during lunch when there are 25 other people waiting to use the office phones....So you need to decide, do I want to call home or eat today?

Oh, and the "We didn't need them 'x' number of years ago" argument is really, really tired....Times are changing....Deal with it....

As long as the phones are off during class, this is a complete non-issue...
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun May 14, 2006 1:30 pm

jayday wrote:Solution...Turn them off at school/in class!....

PackerAttack84 wrote:At our school the rule is that your allowed to use them before and after school, but during class and breaks your not suppose to have then out. Not that anyone really follows that.

That's why that is not a simple solution. It'd be great if kids would do this, but they don't.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby mutantseabass » Sun May 14, 2006 1:33 pm

I have a good friend that is a high school principal here in Michigan. We have had this conversation before about cell phones in school. They allow the students to have the phones in school but they must be turned off and out of sight after the first period bell rings until the end of the school day. Which i agree students should be allowed to carry phones to school but they should be turned off as soon as the bell ring. I have no problem with that and neither does my buddy for that fact. But still he has to deal with the cell phone issue every single day, kids leaving them on, talking on them, and abusing the privelage of being allowed to carry them to school. This in turn takes him away from the daily things he has to do everyday to deal with them.

Jayday you call it a non issue. Well it would be a non issue if students didnt abuse the privelage. You abuse the right to have something and there are consequences to pay.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jayday » Sun May 14, 2006 1:46 pm

mutantseabass wrote:Jayday you call it a non issue. Well it would be a non issue if students didnt abuse the privelage. You abuse the right to have something and there are consequences to pay.

So a few bad apples ruins it for everyone? Would you agree with this?

Hmm....Driving is a privelege, and people abuse that right by speeding everyday.....Should other drivers who obey the laws have their liscenses revoked or pay a fine as well?
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun May 14, 2006 1:51 pm

jayday wrote:
mutantseabass wrote:Jayday you call it a non issue. Well it would be a non issue if students didnt abuse the privelage. You abuse the right to have something and there are consequences to pay.

Hmm....Driving is a privelege, and people abuse that right by speeding everyday.....Should other drivers who obey the laws have their liscenses revoked or pay a fine as well?

It's not a "few bad apples". I'm not speaking for MSB, but I know when I was in school, if cellphones were as prevalent then as they are now, I sure would have one. And I wouldn't have cared about the rules or when I could and couldn't use it. That's just juvenile nature. Most kids don't understand privileges. You may be one of the few who does, but for every one of you, there's probably 6-10 who don't.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby jayday » Sun May 14, 2006 1:57 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
jayday wrote:

It's not a "few bad apples". I'm not speaking for MSB, but I know when I was in school, if cellphones were as prevalent then as they are now, I sure would have one. And I wouldn't have cared about the rules or when I could and couldn't use it. That's just juvenile nature. Most kids don't understand privileges. You may be one of the few who does, but for every one of you, there's probably 6-10 who don't.

First off, if I'm a "kid" at 19, then I'm calling you an old man at 27 :-b

And who knows, I may be "country dumb" as to if kids still even halfway listen to teachers in places like New York and wherever....But when I was in high school, if the teacher told you to do something, you did it....Even if you were cussing them every step of the way....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun May 14, 2006 2:15 pm

jayday wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
jayday wrote:

First off, if I'm a "kid" at 19, then I'm calling you an old man at 27 :-b

And who knows, I may be "country dumb" as to if kids still even halfway listen to teachers in places like New York and wherever....But when I was in high school, if the teacher told you to do something, you did it....Even if you were cussing them every step of the way....

I wasn't aware of your age, I was just saying kids in general by saying 'you'. Maybe it was the school I went to, I don't know, but we always found ways to be defiant.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby HskrPwr13 » Sun May 14, 2006 2:23 pm

Whaaaa!!! I cant have my cell phone at school. Whaaaaa!!! Just because you didnt have a cell phone when you were my age doesnt mean I have to suffer. Whaaaa!!!!

I'm sure lots of women would like to bring certain electrical devices to work (or school for that matter). They're not allowed. They dont cry about it. Grow the hell up!
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk