Controversial School Cell Phone Ban... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Controversial School Cell Phone Ban...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby HskrPwr13 » Sun May 14, 2006 2:23 pm

Whaaaa!!! I cant have my cell phone at school. Whaaaaa!!! Just because you didnt have a cell phone when you were my age doesnt mean I have to suffer. Whaaaa!!!!

I'm sure lots of women would like to bring certain electrical devices to work (or school for that matter). They're not allowed. They dont cry about it. Grow the hell up!
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jayday » Sun May 14, 2006 2:49 pm

Lmao....Wow...The post maturity in this thread just took a few steps back....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby PackerAttack84 » Sun May 14, 2006 3:58 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
PackerAttack84 wrote:At our school the rule is that your allowed to use them before and after school, but during class and breaks your not suppose to have then out. Not that anyone really follows that.

Exactly. This is probably why they had to ban them.

Still. This is exactly like the pop ban, people are still going to bring them and use them....in the pop case drink them. A ban isn't going to stop kids.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby PackerAttack84 » Sun May 14, 2006 4:02 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:phones are a necessity for many students, especially those who often make last-minute plans with friends to socialize after school.

This doesn't sound like a necessity.

Kids are in school to learn. Cellphones are a distraction. This goes for everything. If I'm in a meeting with work, I politely turn my phone off. I would imagine at a number of jobs, they aren't even allowed. School is to prepare kids for real life. In real life, you have to compromise.

School is not just to learn, it's where the majority of peer-to-peer relationships are formed for kids and is the primary place that kids make friends with other kids.

That is part of learning. Kids learn a lot more than just history and algebra. They learn how to get along with different types of people.

Cell phones are necessities for high school students. Whether it's for calling their parent for a ride after school, letting them know basketball practice got changed to 5:30 or most likely getting a hold of friends on the weekend. I use my cell phone 95% of the time between after school on Friday and Sunday night. I rarely use it during the week, but when trying to call a friend who isn't home it's a lot easier to call his cell then have his older sister take a message which won't get to him whether or not shes home when he gets back and chances are he won't be back until 11 so there's no point in calling back when you can call him on his cell phone at 3 and hang out with him for the rest of the day.

Warpigs wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:the ban is stupid. its easy for these guys to say; they dont go to school, and they probably dont have kids who go to school. with rapidly changing plans that can happen before, during, and after school, phones are a necessity for many students, especially those who often make last-minute plans with friends to socialize after school. at my school, the policy is that as long as it is turned off and out of use during class, it is legal. this is a good policy that helps students and staff.

im not the most social person at my school, so i dont use my cell phone too often; but things can change in my plans, and whether it be me not being able to reach my parents or my parents not being able to reach me, im screwed.

I have a 15-year old son in school -- and you're right in that it would be MUCH more convenient if he had a cell phone. However, whenever something major changes (like i need to pick him up after school instead of him riding the bus), then I simply call the school office and the office personnel relay the message. If he ever needs to call us to inform us of a chance in practice time, etc., the school is more than accomodating. That's how it worked in the past, and how it can continue to work.

Having cell phones also allows kids in school to become lazy in the planning ahead department. Instead of planning ahead and making sure that you have everything you need for a school day or developing plans for after school activities -- kids can wait to the last minute and simply use their cell phones to call. We all survived in the past without cell phones every waking minute -- and if people use their common sense, they can find ways to accomodate rules such as this one.

I am glad to here this works for you, but if every single kid and his parents did this in his school I'm pretty sure they would just stop doing it, because that's all they would be doing its writing notes then walking them to classrooms. That's like with tardy passes, secretaries got sick of writing them so they just but you a room and you sit there for the whole block doing nothing because they got sick of writing tardy passes.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Sun May 14, 2006 4:06 pm

PackerAttack84 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
PackerAttack84 wrote:At our school the rule is that your allowed to use them before and after school, but during class and breaks your not suppose to have then out. Not that anyone really follows that.

Still. This is exactly like the pop ban, people are still going to bring them and use them....in the pop case drink them. A ban isn't going to stop kids.

It may stop some. Kids, and adults too, do many stupid things. Doesnt mean we should live in an anarchist society.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby PackerAttack84 » Sun May 14, 2006 4:11 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:
PackerAttack84 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

It may stop some. Kids, and adults too, do many stupid things. Doesnt mean we should live in an anarchist society.

Okay. It won't stop most kids.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Postby portisfan24 » Sun May 14, 2006 4:33 pm

I graduated high school last year and didn't have a cell until this year. Lots of other people did in high school, but I didn't see the use. Here are the main points as I see them.

"A ban isn't going to stop kids" Sure it will. Cell phones are a convenience, and banning them makes them inconvenient.

"I need it for after-school plans" WHAT?! You are at school! Go talk to them! This is a moot point anyway because this is not a necessity.

"My parents need to reach me" That is B.S. How do parents reach their younger kids, or kids without phones?

Now that I have my cell, life would be a lot tougher without it. However, the idea that I have to have it is laughable. Especially between 8-3 Monday to Friday.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Sun May 14, 2006 4:43 pm

portisfan24 wrote:I graduated high school last year and didn't have a cell until this year. Lots of other people did in high school, but I didn't see the use. Here are the main points as I see them.

"A ban isn't going to stop kids" Sure it will. Cell phones are a convenience, and banning them makes them inconvenient.

"I need it for after-school plans" WHAT?! You are at school! Go talk to them! This is a moot point anyway because this is not a necessity.

"My parents need to reach me" That is B.S. How do parents reach their younger kids, or kids without phones?

Now that I have my cell, life would be a lot tougher without it. However, the idea that I have to have it is laughable. Especially between 8-3 Monday to Friday.

Portis, thats a well thought out mature opinion. The whole thing. The part I bolded is where people get hung up. They cant seem to separate convenience v necessity.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun May 14, 2006 5:06 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:I graduated high school last year and didn't have a cell until this year. Lots of other people did in high school, but I didn't see the use. Here are the main points as I see them.

Portis, thats a well thought out mature opinion. The whole thing. The part I bolded is where people get hung up. They cant seem to separate convenience v necessity.

Very nice points. I was about to flip out about the 'necessity' bit again.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby mysticphysh » Sun May 14, 2006 5:31 pm

I didnt have a cellphone in HS, I got along just fine....of course, when I was in HS, cellphones were about the size and weight of a brick. :-b
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk