Doug Flutie Retires - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Doug Flutie Retires

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Horizons » Mon May 15, 2006 5:25 pm

The guy was the epitome of what guts, drive, and determination can do in overcoming physical attributes. He was always a winner in my book. Good luck in the future. ;-D ;-D
Don't give up the ship...........sell it!!
Horizons
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere on the "Trail of Tears" between the tube and GameCenter

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon May 15, 2006 8:16 pm

Good player, fun to watch...he will be missed.

And yeah...he'll be in broadcasting for sure.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bdrotoronto » Mon May 15, 2006 8:42 pm

J2thez929 wrote:Awww no more Flutie flakes! Booooooooooo :,-(

They shall live on in my avatar.. lol ;-D :-b

Flutie was pretty good down in the States, but he was legendary in his time up here.. He basically dominated the CFL for eight years, and every team he went to went from ordinary to the team to beat in the league. When he went down to Buffalo, he also had that year or two where he really carried that team.. it is still confounding why the Bills ever went to Surfer Rob Johnson for that playoff game against Tennessee, losing that game (and the quarterback controversy that followed) set that franchise back several seasons.. :~(
bdrotoronto
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Mon May 15, 2006 9:48 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Always gave the little guy hope when it came to sports and being successful at them. He was a tremendous talent at virtually every level of professional play; USFL, NFL and CFL. He'll be missed greatly. I can't help but wonder if all of those Grey Cups will merit him entry to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. After all, it is the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Last I checked, CFL was pro. ;-)

Flutie will never get into Canton. There isn't one 'CFL only' player in the HOF. Obviously there are players in the HOF that played in the CFL, but they got in because of what they did in the NFL.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby G3_175SE » Tue May 16, 2006 7:09 pm

I wish him well. He was always fun to watch. He wasn't the biggest or the most talented but he had heart.
G3_175SE
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby TheRawDAWG » Wed May 17, 2006 2:28 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Always gave the little guy hope when it came to sports and being successful at them. He was a tremendous talent at virtually every level of professional play; USFL, NFL and CFL. He'll be missed greatly. I can't help but wonder if all of those Grey Cups will merit him entry to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. After all, it is the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Last I checked, CFL was pro. ;-)

Flutie will never get into Canton. There isn't one 'CFL only' player in the HOF. Obviously there are players in the HOF that played in the CFL, but they got in because of what they did in the NFL.

No one dominated the game like Flutie did. He is second or third in most passing yards in professional football history. I think he should get in because he was SOOOOOOOOOOOO good in the CFL and would have had a good career given the chance earlier in the NFL. Like someone else said, it's not the NFL hall of fame.

Also, Flutie was such a great guy and such a community guy. That can only help his situation.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby VaderFin » Wed May 17, 2006 2:45 pm

It is the NFL Hall of Fame. Oh I know what the name says but are they going to start letting in all the greats of the CFL? Are we now going to have the best Arena League players get in? They are professional leagues after all.

If you didn't get it done in the NFL you aren't going to get in. Flutie has no chance of making it. NONE.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheRawDAWG » Wed May 17, 2006 3:50 pm

VaderFin wrote:It is the NFL Hall of Fame. Oh I know what the name says but are they going to start letting in all the greats of the CFL? Are we now going to have the best Arena League players get in? They are professional leagues after all.

If you didn't get it done in the NFL you aren't going to get in. Flutie has no chance of making it. NONE.

Where did i say they would start letting in ALL the greats from the CFL? I said they should let in the ALLTIME best player in CFL history who got his chance in the NFL way too late in his career to make too much of an impact.

BTW, Flutie wins that game against the Titans. If Johnson can almost win Flutie wins handily. And that may have helped his cause.

Also, I don't really think Flutie will get in...I just think he should.
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed May 17, 2006 4:23 pm

TheRawDAWG wrote:
VaderFin wrote:It is the NFL Hall of Fame. Oh I know what the name says but are they going to start letting in all the greats of the CFL? Are we now going to have the best Arena League players get in? They are professional leagues after all.

Where did i say they would start letting in ALL the greats from the CFL? I said they should let in the ALLTIME best player in CFL history who got his chance in the NFL way too late in his career to make too much of an impact.

BTW, Flutie wins that game against the Titans. If Johnson can almost win Flutie wins handily. And that may have helped his cause.

That's the point. There isn't 1 player in Canton that only had success in the CFL. That's why he'll never get in. Also, Flutie doesn't meet your criteria of "I said they should let in the ALLTIME best player in CFL history who got his chance in the NFL way too late in his career to make too much of an impact." Flutie had his chance in the NFL in the beginning of his career and wasn't good. Then he went to the CFL where he was great. Then he went back to the NFL for a little while and didn't light it on fire. They can't all of a sudden start putting CFL greats in the HOF. If they did that they'd have to go back and put in all the CFL great in Canton. Sorry but that's not going to happen. The HOF is for players that excelled in the NFL. All the other pro leagues are inferior. Flutie proved that because he wasn't great in the NFL but was great in the CFL.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu May 18, 2006 2:27 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
TheRawDAWG wrote:

That's the point. There isn't 1 player in Canton that only had success in the CFL. That's why he'll never get in. Also, Flutie doesn't meet your criteria of "I said they should let in the ALLTIME best player in CFL history who got his chance in the NFL way too late in his career to make too much of an impact." Flutie had his chance in the NFL in the beginning of his career and wasn't good. Then he went to the CFL where he was great. Then he went back to the NFL for a little while and didn't light it on fire. They can't all of a sudden start putting CFL greats in the HOF. If they did that they'd have to go back and put in all the CFL great in Canton. Sorry but that's not going to happen. The HOF is for players that excelled in the NFL. All the other pro leagues are inferior. Flutie proved that because he wasn't great in the NFL but was great in the CFL.

DO NOT kid yourself. Flutie didn't get a real shot in the NFL till he was dominating the CFL. He was too small and too much of a "scat" type QB. Which back then was a big NO NO. He didn't fit the NFL mold so they didn't let him play. As time changed so did the game of football and how it was played. Flutie then "fit". He went to the NFL and had some pretty good years. Not great years but pretty good ones. And when does anyone play their best football after the age of 35? Not many.

And like is said earlier which i guess I'm gong to have to repeat everytime you guys respond, I didn't say put all the CFL greats into the NFL. I said put the BEST CFL player ever into the FOOTBALL hof. Anyone who has seen Flutie play with regularity would think the same way.
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk